Carry options for H&K P30

This is a discussion on Carry options for H&K P30 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone This is my first post and I am a first time gun owner. My only firearm is currently the H&K P30 in 9mm. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Carry options for H&K P30

Hey everyone

This is my first post and I am a first time gun owner. My only firearm is currently the H&K P30 in 9mm. The problem I am having is finding the right carry option for the gun. I live in Massachusetts, so carrying concealed (without printing) is expected. I do want to carry, but I'm not really finding too many options for my firearm. I really like the idea of the Sneaky Pete holsters, but alas, they don't have one for my gun. I am also considering the 5.11 tactical undershirt. Any ideas? I'm feeling pretty underwhelmed by the whole thing. It's probably just because I don't know enough to have exhausted all my options.

Thanks

I'm liking the Raven Phantom Modular holsters these days and they can fit your H&K. That P30 is a mighty fine gun by the way.

Link:
    Phantom Modular Holster

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderspeaks View Post
    Hey everyone

This is my first post and I am a first time gun owner. My only firearm is currently the H&K P30 in 9mm. The problem I am having is finding the right carry option for the gun. I live in Massachusetts, so carrying concealed (without printing) is expected. I do want to carry, but I'm not really finding too many options for my firearm. I really like the idea of the Sneaky Pete holsters, but alas, they don't have one for my gun. I am also considering the 5.11 tactical undershirt. Any ideas? I'm feeling pretty underwhelmed by the whole thing. It's probably just because I don't know enough to have exhausted all my options.

Thanks
    I have a P30, and my favorite concealed holster for it is the FoxX hybrid holster at the 5 o'clock position.

I also have a Multi-Holsters "TC" trigger cover holster for it when I wear it in appendix position, tucked into my pants/belt.

If you want an outstanding leather OWB holster, look at Prince Leather Holsters. He doesn't list the P30, but he can make any of his holsters for one. He made mine for me, and it was his first P30 mold he'd done.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I'm still a bit worried about imprinting with that holster, though I do like Kydex. You don't think that would still show through?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I use the FoxX hybrid for both a P30, and a Walther PPQ (both 4" barrel "compact service pistols.") I also have the "Little FoxX" for my Beretta Nano.
    I'm 5'6" and about 115 lbs. I wear the hybrid holsters at the 4 to 5 o'clock position, and the Little FoxX at either 4 o'clock or appendix 12 o'clock. I can wear them with cargo shorts and a T-shirt, even with the T-shirt tucked in (both have tuckable clips) and I don't print at ALL. I ask friends who also carry at all times as I do, and none of them can ever tell when I'm carrying, unless I mention it, or they see the belt clip, already knowing what it's for.

I'll have to try to get some pics of me wearing the holsters to show the lack of printing when I get a chance.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I carry a HK P30 everyday. I am a holster maker so I only use my leather. I prefer a higher degree cant so something like my Peregrine IWB holster. It has a 23º cant. Very similar to the Milt Sparks Nexus in rake angle and styling. TT Gunleather, Big River Leather, Brigade GunLeather, 5 Shot and more all make a similar style and all are fantastic holster makers. My P30 disappears with this style of holster.

Below is a picture of this style of holster and how low it sits and the cant angle. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

HK P30 Peregrine brown cowhide with black shark belt loops.jpg

@Kevin - I'm a bigger guy. Would that option work for someone like me?

Kevin, I'm a bigger guy. would this still be a good option for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderspeaks View Post
    Kevin, I'm a bigger guy. would this still be a good option for me?
    It would be a great option on you.

You know it would be so much easier if I lived in a more understanding state. Maybe I should consider moving.

Congrats! If you're only gonna have one gun, might as well have an HK!

I highly recommend a Silent Thunder IWB from Garrett Industries. I have two HK USPs which are considerably bulkier than your P30, and I can conceal one of them well in that rig. They pull the gun in tight for concealment. The Silent Thunder rigs are kydex shells with bonded leather lining. You get the retention and rigidity of kydex with the quiet draw you expect with leather, plus little wear on the guns finish.

I'm a big time HK fanboy! I have a few hundred bucks to pay off of the layaway, then I'll have an HK P30S (like your gun with a manual safety). I do love my HKs!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member
    The P30 is a big gun and not really made for concealed carry. I am afraid that no matter what holster you get, you are going to find carrying it uncomfortable. I know many guys whose first gun is duty sized and they stop carrying them quickly. It is one thing to tuck one in the belt at home for a few minutes and quite something else to carry it around during your normal daily activities. However, some feel the need for a big gun and do carry them. Kudos to them. For us mere mortals that size gun is too uncomfortable to carry daily.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Phaedrus, my H&K is the S model as well. It's required in MA. Old Dog, I am planning on eventually getting a smaller carry gun, but as the P30 is my only option right now, I need to find my best solution to carry. I do realize it is a big gun, but I need to do something.

One of these might suit you: Red Nichols holsters @ High Noon. BTW, "Red" is a member here on DefensiveCarry ... rednichols. No idea whether they can be available for the P30; they're only listed for the USP 9/40.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I, too, carry a P30S as my EDC. I carry mine in an SHTF Gear ACE-1 holster (SHTF Gear Holsters - American Made, Fast Shipping, Comfortable Holsters). That is a leather/kydex hybrid. I also have an Old Faithful holster for my P30S, but I prefer the SHTF holster for comfort and ease of carry. Posts above refer to increased cant being an aid to comfortably concealing, and that is why hybrids are generally made with adjustable cant. Anothe thing for you to consider is your belt. The use of a proper gunbelt will also go a long way toward successful concealment. My primary belt is from A&G Custom Gunleather (Quality Hand Crafted Leather Belts Made One at a Time | AG Custom Gun LeatherAG Custom Gun Leather). It is important to get a good gunbelt that will hold your firearm tight and comfortable. A good gunbelt goes at least as far as a good holster in successfully concealing your firearm.

Something important for you to consider is that when you initially begin carrying, you think everyone will see your firearm and react to it. In truth, most people will never notice it, and those that do, will usually think it is a cell phone or a colostomy device. Just be sure you have clothes that fit properly for carrying and you will be fine.

Good luck, and you have selected an excellent firearm.
    Thunderspeaks likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links