A Review of my MaxTuck holster from White Hat Holsters

This is a discussion on A Review of my MaxTuck holster from White Hat Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little backstory: I bought my first holster a few months ago. It was a Remora for a Glock 23. I liked it, used it, ...

Thread: A Review of my MaxTuck holster from White Hat Holsters

A Review of my MaxTuck holster from White Hat Holsters

A little backstory: I bought my first holster a few months ago. It was a Remora for a Glock 23. I liked it, used it, still use it in specific occasions. I switched to a XDSC40, and kept using the same Remora. However, the back sights would get caught on the lip of the holster and the entire thing would come out when I would draw. Not a good issue to have! (Not Remora's fault, I was too cheap and was using the wrong holster). That said, I decided to buy a new holster, and looked around at what I could get. I was comfortable with an IWB since I wanted to stay concealed, and after getting some advice, I decided to go with the Crossbread/Galco Kingtuk style. The Galco I bought had the wrong cut, and part of the polymer frame road against my body. So I took it back and looked around. Then I came upon this little company called White Hat Holsters.

Here's what I bought:

Customer service:
    I found out they were on facebook. I posted a question or two, and lo and behold, got answers! Quick! That caught my attention. Then we exchanged a couple emails, and once again, my questions were answered rather quickly. I learned that this is a company that is actually concerned with customer service. Very impressive! I had a note on my order concerning the cut of the holster. The previous one I tried from a different company didn't cover the ridge where the slide and polymer meet on the XDSCs (on the side of the gun, behind the handle). I received both an email and a phone call about my concerns. In the end, they said they'd make it and send it out, and like all their products, I could return it within the first two weeks. Crossbreed has the same policy I believe, but the amount of attention they gave to my concerns was very impressive.

Options:
    First: Whitehat gives you quite a few more options when it comes to horsehide-leather (than other companies). I ordered the Antique "Cowboy" black horsehide, but the options for different types of Kydex and colors of leather were pretty broad by comparison.

Second: the Kydex is not riveted on. It is screwed on. That means if I end up buying the XDs .45 I want, I just have to spend $23.00 for a replacement Kydex, and I get to use the same leather that is nice and broken in. Three minutes of work switching the Kydex in order to EDC one of two weapons in the same holster is a GREAT bonus and future option.

Third: they do not charge for combat cut!

The particulars:
    Price: I paid just short of $90.00.

Shipping: USPS priority mail. Shipping was $6.00, but that is included in the overall price above. The actual holster was $82.45, and shipping was $6.00. No "handling" charges.

Ordering to receiving: I don't remember at this point, but it took a couple week plus a few days. However, when they got close to making mine, I received the phone call about the remarks I had on my order. The lady on the other end of the phone stated that I should be in the mail by Friday the following week, or the next Tuesday thereafter. I received it in the mail by that Friday. Couldn't be happier!

Clips: very firm and a bit of a pain to get over a work/carry belt. Putting the holster on and taking it off isn't exactly a piece of cake, but that also means this holster will not come out of my pants in an inopportune moment while I'm drawing in a bad situation. Also, there are no markings on the clips that distinguish them as clips for a gun holster, unlike some others.

Kydex: the gun slides in nice, but there is a distinct snapping into place at the end of holstering. The tension is enough to keep the gun in place at multiple angles. It doesn't take too much force to break the tension and draw the weapon, but I doubt very much it will come out of the holster on its own/drawn by gravity. These things are well made.

Leather: it was smaller than I feared. In truth, one of the reasons I shied away from White Hat was because the way they cut the leather, it looked like there was a large, three quarter inch strip of leather at the bottom that would just get in the way. How wrong I was. The bottom of the leather is just long enough to make sure that any barrel/slide will rest comfortably against leather. Even with it, the entire holster seems like it is smaller than the Kingtuck, and yet has a much better quality. Speaking of that, there is no stitching on the leather. Nothing is sewn together, and the leather itself is pretty uniform in thickness. Wherever they get their horsehide leather from, it is quality.

Combat cut: I am able to get a full grip on my weapon while it is in the holster without interference. What makes me real happy about this part, is that there is no part of the slide or polymer body that is next to my body either. (Handle is, obviously). They've done a very good job creating these combat cut holsters and I would unhesitatingly recommend going with the combat cut.

Problems:
    No product is absolutely perfect, and I tend not to trust reviews that make a product sound like it is. On that note, there are two issues I have with this holster. The first is that there is only one screw per clip. When I'm putting the holster on, I have to struggle with the clips because they invariably start sliding back and forth. This becomes a real pain if I put it on, and realized it's at 3 or 5 o'clock, rather than four. It is almost easier to take it off and put it back on than it is to slide it the couple inches on the belt. Finding a way to add a second screw to each clip would be a very good idea. Just to remind everyone, the single screw doesn't affect how well the holster is secured. It only comes into play while putting on, taking off, or adjusting the holster.

Second, the leather seems to scratch very easily. One scratch was completely my fault (hit it with a screwdriver while I was tightening the screws, can't expect that to not scratch). There are a number of other scratches on it now however, and I have no idea where they came from. Maybe it's the something on the inside of my pants, but since I very seldom wear pants with rivets, I don't know where it would come from. This isn't a big deal, except that for the money spent, I'd like to see the material withstand minor things just a little better.

Last thoughts:
    Some people have mentioned a squeaking noise while the leather gets broken in. I had that happen to me once or twice, but it wasn't that big of a deal. If I was out in public either no one would have noticed, or if they did, it would have been passed off as shoes.

Conclusion:
    I've now had it for two or three weeks and I'm very happy with the holster. The leather is completely broken in. I am sitting at my desk right now with it strapped to my waist, and a few minutes ago (which is what made me remember to give this review), I had to check to make sure I was even wearing it. That is how comfortable it is. I've heard multiple stories about people having drawers full of disposed holsters that they tried and didn't like. Not so for me. One piece of leather, and one Kydex per make of gun is all I'll end up with. Buy one, you wont be disappointed, IMO.

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    Thanks for the totally fair review. We appreciate your insight very much. The finish should be relaitvely durable so if you continue to see small scratches that seem unreasonable please send us a pic by email so we can see what's going on. Thanks again for your support. Have a great day. Tony.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Great review. I do have a couple questions or concerns about this style of holster. How hot does that slab of leather get against your body? How much extra room do you need in your pants to fit one of these holsters? Looks like they'd be thicker, than say an all kydex holster.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

It's a great holster. I have had mine for months and wear it almost everyday. (sometimes I use a pocket holster). Very comfortable.

Ditto to virtually the entire review. I use mine with a Walther PPS (my EDC). I also purchased Kydex for my PPQ. The interchangeable Kydex is what made my decision to go with White Hat vs. others.

I also wear a White Hat single stack, single mag holster in the small of my back every day. I purchased a double stack mag replacement Kydex for it as well.

I think its the only IWB holster I may ever need.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    Great review. I do have a couple questions or concerns about this style of holster. How hot does that slab of leather get against your body? How much extra room do you need in your pants to fit one of these holsters? Looks like they'd be thicker, than say an all kydex holster.
    Sorry for the delayed response here. The holster itself is not necessarily thicker than an all kydex holster. The profile of the holster is minimal over the gun itself. With regard to increasing pant size I usually tell folks that if you can comfortably fit the gun in the waistband without the holster, you should be good to go. If it is tight with the gun by itself, you may consider one size up on the pant size you have. As for the holster being hot, it is surprisingly cool. The reason for this is that the back side of the leather is left natural and is the unfinished flesh side of the leather. The reason we make it that way is so the leather itself will be breathable and NOT be hot while wearing it. If you haven't seen this already, this is a great overall functional review from Phil Morden of Top Shot showing carry, concealment, drawing from standing and sitting as well as a discussion on comfort. If you have any other specific questions, please PM me or shoot us an email to Support@WhiteHatHolsters.com. Thanks so much. Have a great day!

REVIEW VIDEO LINK:

White Hat and Glock 30sf is my EDC

I received my White Hat Holster on Friday and I have had it on since I got it. And ley me say this is one very comfortable holster. I went to work on Saturday and I did work in the warehouse and I had no problems. Never even noticed it was on. So now my 30Sf and White Hat Holster are my new EDC.

I have a WH holster for my Shield. It is my go to holster for all day wear. I have found that most of the scratches in the leather tend to buff right out with a little oil. I highly recommend this product to anyone looking for a good hybrid style holster.
    Last edited by Smilinswordsman; July 28th, 2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

I have to add my recommendation. Have had mine for about 6 months and wear it all the time that I am carrying IWB. Very comfortable. I do worry about the metal clips possibly cutting into my pants but it hasn't happened so far.

This review covered everything I would have said but one. I too just received my first White Hat, and the only issue I've had is that the mag release on my P250 sometimes gets pushed by the leather. Haven't had a mag fall out yet, but still has made me nervous. I'm hoping this will remedy itself as the leather breaks in. I don't have my CCDW yet, so I'm not carrying with this holster much yet. I am wearing it all day empty just to speed the break i process. As to how hot it gets, I work for a pizza place and just stood next to 2 475 deg ovens for 3 hours. Never noticed any additional heat or sweat. That passes the test in my book. Overall a great product. I got an extra kydex so I can carry either of my P250 sizes. Even my FS .45 hides easy under just a t shirt.

I bought a Whitehat OTB for my Compact pistol with attached light, a while back. On the build quality alone, I was and am not impressed. Perhaps I should have bought an IWB instead… though I’m glad I didn’t given the level of build I received. Ultimately I kept it as I had no other options aside from an even cheaper lesser quality nylon holster from ebay or such.

The WH service and support are top shelf. First rate and no questions about that at all. Shipping time too wasn’t bad and updates came along politely, periodically and timely.

I have examined and own several Kydex holsters for various pistols. Even one other ‘cottage industry’ affair which carries my larger duty firearm. Even that kitchen table production is easily double if not more, the thickness of materials, has far better retention, and is more durable than the Whitehat OTB offering.

Neither the WH tactical light holster for the smallish compact w/LED or the other home made Kydexs similarly appointed unit housing my duty handgun, approach the level of what one gets from established holster producers like Galco, Viridian, fobus, etc., usually, though my Kydex tactical duty holster is far and away better in every respect, and I’m positive it was a hobby like product.

I must interject two things:
    The wH Kydex material is near paper thin, and the retention is nearly non existant and that isn’t an advantage especially for an OTB holster costing $60 or so.

The compact handgun rattles about inside as you walk normally and may slip out during normal use ie., jogging, jumping, running, rapid stair climbing, sitting rising, getting in or out of a car.

Mostly though the constant rattling bugs me tremendously as it doesn’t inspire confidence and one has to keep checking on it. I fixed the rattling, so long as that holster stays in the dresser drawer.

I went with WH holsters because I couldn’t find a tactical (laser sight) holster for my compact pistol at the time. Since then other makers have come up with incredibly better builds and designs, and I have the one best suited to the compact now.

I’m not trying to knock Whitehat here, but am pointing out another side of the same coin might wind up being what you may have to live with if you make a similar, but different and albeit desperate choice for your hard to find holstering solution.

If dissatisfied, then, one must take advantage of the return option even though you may have few other options or possibly none available to you. Build, appropriate retention, fit and comfort among other things in a holster is indeed worth waiting for.

As an aside, from Ace Case I bought a pocket holster which was designed to fit a Sig handgun but sans rail attached light, fits My compact as snug as a bug in a rug… if the LED is not attached. In fact it’s near a perfect fit… and runs $20 + ship, and BTW ship from Ace Case is exhorbitant and slow.

Again, don’t be concerned with having to say “Sorry, I don’t care for this product.”, it’s all just business.

Whitehat has some great people furthering it’s efforts. I’m glad the OP holster has worked out. Congrats.

Links