Galco Double Time vs Midworld Holsters Ohio Special - a comparo

This is a discussion on Galco Double Time vs Midworld Holsters Ohio Special - a comparo within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own both these holsters. They are for my Glocks 19 and 26 (bought them in 19 size so that they would fit both). I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Galco Double Time vs Midworld Holsters Ohio Special - a comparo

Galco Double Time vs Midworld Holsters Ohio Special - a comparo

I own both these holsters. They are for my Glocks 19 and 26 (bought them in 19 size so that they would fit both). I bought both at the same time and at about the same price $65ish but the Midworld, being made to order, had a 1.5 week wait which was very reasonable. For those thinking about getting the Ohio Special or the Double Time, here is a comparo to help you decide.

From the side, the Ohio special is a lot bigger. From the top you can see that while the thicknesses are about the same at the gun area, the Ohio special curves a lot more, conforming to my body.

Putting them on I noticed that even at the top most notch, the Ohio special sat deeper inside my waistband better hiding the handle. The Galco sat higher.

Ohio special

Double Time

The front view showed that the Ohio special pulled closer to my body compared to the Double Time:

Ohio special

Double Time

A few views when under a cover garment...

Side view

Ohio special

Double Time

Bending over at the waist

Ohio special

Double Time

Overall I'm very impressed with the Ohio special. It offered better concealment and felt more comfortable than the Galco. By itself the Galco isn't bad but compared to a custom kydex it feels more off the shelf. Both are great holsters however.

The only thing about the Ohio special is its large body shield, while shielding your gun, can get pretty sticky if worn against bare skin. More kydex = more to stick to your body with. An undergarment will neutralize that.

Hope this helps with your decisions a little! 4.5 stars to the Midworld, 4 stars to the Galco!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Glad you like the Ohio Special. It was definitely designed with an undergarment in mind. If you bring it up closer to 3:00, the grip will print even less. Also, the front belt loop allows it to be canted even further forward, and deeper. Thanks for the review, and the side-by-side comparison.
    DetChris likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Glad you like the Ohio Special. It was definitely designed with an undergarment in mind. If you bring it up closer to 3:00, the grip will print even less. Also, the front belt loop allows it to be canted even further forward, and deeper. Thanks for the review, and the side-by-side comparison.
    Thanks for the suggestion Mike! It was a great buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    About the front belt loop, I noticed its different from the rear one. How does it help cant?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    About the front belt loop, I noticed its different from the rear one. How does it help cant?
    By looping up over the top instead of being attached directly through the holster, the loop allows the holster to shift slightly when changing positions or if a slightly more forward cant is desired. It is wider than the rear loop because it has more load-bearing responsibility. The rear snap actually carries the rear load of the holster, so a thinner loop works adequately.
    DetChris likes this.
    Tuco

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I am glad you like it!
    DetChris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MidWorld View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I am glad you like it!
    It's an excellent product! Thanks very much!

Everyone one wants a small holster. But there is a lot to be said about not going too small IWB. Single clip, you can get away with it. Double clip, you need more distance between them to get a better curve and not have the holster hold the belt off the body so much. It looks like the Galco is actually holding the belt away from the body.

And here is where the holster maker in my kicks in. The Galco does not appear to be made with a real gun, or even a blue gun. The Mid world certainly is. It's also interesting that the retention in the ejection port is completely relieved in the Midworld. Not a big deal at all IWB. I prefer to keep it on my OWB, but it has given me fits on certain guns. So I completely understand the rational for doing away with it. Full sight channel is a nice touch too. I'm alway surprised how many companies don't do that and rely on the gun canting forward on the draw to clear the sights.

Man, I have become a holster nerd.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    The Galco does not appear to be made with a real gun, or even a blue gun. The Mid world certainly is. It's also interesting that the retention in the ejection port is completely relieved in the Midworld. Not a big deal at all IWB. I prefer to keep it on my OWB, but it has given me fits on certain guns. So I completely understand the rational for doing away with it. Full sight channel is a nice touch too. I'm alway surprised how many companies don't do that and rely on the gun canting forward on the draw to clear the sights.

Man, I have become a holster nerd.
    The Galco is not actually Kydex at all. It is injection molded, thus the not quite gun look. I relieve the ejection port on all my holsters. I find that I can get more than enough retention without molding into that area. I find that with .080 Kydex, the sharp edge of the ejection port makes a catch point that shaves off Kydex putting grit in the holster. I spend a lot of time masking the dummy guns to avoid catch points. Now, on a hybrid type holster, the leather back flexes enough that it isn't an issue and adds needed retention. The same with leather holsters.

There is nothing wrong with being a holster nerd.

Nice review Chris
    DetChris likes this.

VIP Member
    The Galco is not actually Kydex at all. It is injection molded, thus the not quite gun look. I relieve the ejection port on all my holsters. I find that I can get more than enough retention without molding into that area. I find that with .080 Kydex, the sharp edge of the ejection port makes a catch point that shaves off Kydex putting grit in the holster. I spend a lot of time masking the dummy guns to avoid catch points. Now, on a hybrid type holster, the leather back flexes enough that it isn't an issue and adds needed retention. The same with leather holsters.

There is nothing wrong with being a holster nerd.
    I never started out intending to be a holster nerd, but then...
    Tuco

Yeah, I attacked the issue from a different angle. I've actually modified some of my blue guns with plumbers putty to relieve the retention and issues with the ejection port. But it leaves enough there to see the port. Your fix looks good though.

I've also seen where some guys are making dummy gun patterns out of wood. Personally, I like the custom look from a real gun or blue gun as opposed to the generic gun look.

I've embraced my inner nerd.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Yeah, I attacked the issue from a different angle. I've actually modified some of my blue guns with plumbers putty to relieve the retention and issues with the ejection port. But it leaves enough there to see the port. Your fix looks good though.

I've also seen where some guys are making dummy gun patterns out of wood. Personally, I like the custom look from a real gun or blue gun as opposed to the generic gun look.

I've embraced my inner nerd.
    In the past I played with using putty and various other fillers to get the port "just right". It works pretty well, but I use those craft sticks for a lot of other masking jobs so they are on the bench anyway, so I figured I would just use them. They are fast and allow me to make them all the same.

I have thought about just using bondo to fill in the port on the dummy guns, bet decided that because I would have to use the sticks on real guns anyway I might as well just go with the sticks and keep my products all looking the same.

VIP Member
    In the past I played with using putty and various other fillers to get the port "just right". It works pretty well, but I use those craft sticks for a lot of other masking jobs so they are on the bench anyway, so I figured I would just use them. They are fast and allow me to make them all the same.

I have thought about just using bondo to fill in the port on the dummy guns, bet decided that because I would have to use the sticks on real guns anyway I might as well just go with the sticks and keep my products all looking the same.
    I've had holsters made both ways, and definitely prefer the craft sticks. I worry much more about retention and the elimination of binding at sharp edges than detailed molding.
    Tuco

Can't wait to receive my Ohio Special. I am checking the mail every day with the anticipation of a kid at Christmas! Come on holster, hurry up & get here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links