AIWB Help. Not fat, just a little squishy

This is a discussion on AIWB Help. Not fat, just a little squishy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All right everybody, I need help looking for an AIWB. HAS to be either a hybrid or kydex. Ideally for a G36, but if I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AIWB Help. Not fat, just a little squishy

All right everybody, I need help looking for an AIWB. HAS to be either a hybrid or kydex. Ideally for a G36, but if I can't get one for that, an LCR. Here's where it gets tricky: Due to my.... "squishiness", I want the gun to ride LOW. Like grip on the belt line or maybe just a little higher. Will I have to have something custom made for this? I did a search and couldn't come up with anything, and apologize if I'm asking a question someone already asked. Thanks in advance!

VIP Member
    Crossbreed makes an appendix carry rig that is adjustable for ride height. That might be your best bet since all the kydex rigs I know of are not height adjustable.

Appendix Carry | CrossBreed® Holsters - Appendix Carry
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Riding low with just a little overhang makes it difficult to get a quick grip (take it from a paunchy brother ).

AIWB is for the studs with the iron abs.
    DetChris likes this.

I'm a fan of these. http://garrettindustries.mybigcommer...ppendix-carry/ Have three of them. One for a commander size 1911, ruger sr9c and ruger lc9. Ride height is adjustable.

It takes about three weeks to get one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370207428.492032.jpg

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Here is another choice: Glock - 36 Archives - Old Faithful Holsters

I can attest to the comfort of this rig......it's great for appendix carry.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Crossbreed makes an appendix carry rig that is adjustable for ride height. That might be your best bet since all the kydex rigs I know of are not height adjustable.

Appendix Carry | CrossBreed® Holsters - Appendix Carry
    I EDC a crossbreed and love it! As much as I've shopped, I think that's gonna be my best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Riding low with just a little overhang makes it difficult to get a quick grip (take it from a paunchy brother ).

Yeah... I'll be losing some of the gain by going low. But going low is the only way I feel I can move the gun to the front of my body, and still be semi comfy (I know: comforting, not comfortable...), but not have to hold on to the back of my shirt every time I bend over (Typically carry at 4:30).

My abs are a little more like molten lead, rather than iron. They're there, just not in the state of matter they should be :-P

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Here is another choice: Glock - 36 Archives - Old Faithful Holsters

I can attest to the comfort of this rig......it's great for appendix carry.
    Interesting.... I'm not seeing anything that looks semi comfy for appendix, but I may try that for my next hip holster. Save some money and put it all together myself.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

I would say riding low, even with no overhang, is pretty difficult to get a good grip quickly! Personally I want to be able to get a solid grip on the pistol easily, but I suppose if I had to really be certain that it was concealed I might sacrifice some grip to get it closer to the waist line.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

...been carrying AIWB from 154# all the way to 251 and back to 228...I always cut my holsters open and move the clip up an inch, then resew...they sit lower behind the belt that way and the butt doesn't kick out at all...if you call one of the more accommodating holster makers, he could do the same thing for you...it makes an unbelievable difference...
    ...no trouble getting a grip with either semiauto or revolver...practice well and it'll be just as easy as if the holster were OWB...
    Quote Originally Posted by chief8991 View Post
    All right everybody, I need help looking for an AIWB. HAS to be either a hybrid or kydex. Ideally for a G36, but if I can't get one for that, an LCR. Here's where it gets tricky: Due to my.... "squishiness", I want the gun to ride LOW. Like grip on the belt line or maybe just a little higher. Will I have to have something custom made for this? I did a search and couldn't come up with anything, and apologize if I'm asking a question someone already asked. Thanks in advance!

I too am a bit squishy, 6' 2" 230 lbs and I carry AIWB at 12 o'clock with a Smart Carry. SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters It is neither hybrid nor kydex. It is denim, elastic and velcro.

I ordered mine on a Thursday and got it Tuesday. Would have had it Monday but that was a holiday.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

OK..hope this helps.....me AIWB Glock 26....Old Faithful AIWB Kydex.

1...shorts, tee shirt..open shirt.....

2. tee shirt only...

You can conceal very nicely a 26....with no printing....AIWB is the perfect carry position....

me1.jpg me2.jpg me3.jpg me4.jpgiwb4.jpg
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Harrier AIWB - MidWorld Holster

I make them to ride higher than you are looking for, because I am also a "full firing grip" kind of guy. However, if you really want one that rides that low, I would be willing to make one that way for no extra charge.
    Kennydale likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MidWorld View Post
    Harrier AIWB - MidWorld Holster

I make them to ride higher than you are looking for, because I am also a "full firing grip" kind of guy. However, if you really want one that rides that low, I would be willing to make one that way for no extra charge.
    Thank you. I will save that address and look through your products :)

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    I too am a bit squishy, 6' 2" 230 lbs and I carry AIWB at 12 o'clock with a Smart Carry. SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters It is neither hybrid nor kydex. It is denim, elastic and velcro.

I ordered mine on a Thursday and got it Tuesday. Would have had it Monday but that was a holiday.
    I've thought really hard about trying one of those, it just doesn't seem like it would be practical for me. But, with satisfaction guaranteed, we will find out eventually :-)

In all seriousness before you spend good money on a low rider iwb holster it would behoove you (love that word) to try one first. If the handle is on or below the belt line and you can't get a firing grip immediately or it takes you longer to get your hands around the gun this could cost you your life in an emergency situation. I would be very careful with this....

Last month, I purchased a Kydex holster for my G 36 from Statureman. I ordered the custom Statureman Custom Holsters: - Statureman Custom Holster (Order Here) model not the AIWB Statureman Custom Holsters: -Statureman AIWB Holster(Order Here)

I can wear the custom between 1 and 2 with no issues.

Great holster and around a two week delivery time.

Calab offers a 30 no questions asked return. So not much to risk.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I use a Comp Tac Minotaur MTAC, it is fully adjustable both on depth of carry and the retention on the weapon. I started off carrying with it really deep, but as I got less paranoid about the generally unaware general public, I have since boosted it up a bit. I carry at about 4:00. I'm working on the abs but haven't quite gotten there yet.

I highly recommend the holster. I just checked their webpage and it looks like they have a G36 specific model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links