Little help with a IWB holster with a thumb break

This is a discussion on Little help with a IWB holster with a thumb break within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but have read a lot of threads on here and today I'm looking for some advice. I haven't ...

Thread: Little help with a IWB holster with a thumb break

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but have read a lot of threads on here and today I'm looking for some advice. I haven't found the exact advice I'm looking for so if its on this site somewhere just shoot me the link but I would greatly appreciate some advice and personal knowledge.

Here's the situation: I bought a Kimber Tactical Pro II a couple of months ago and have just gotten past the break in period required to where it's a damn fine pistol! I love it. I started training with a hip holster with a thumb break so I can carry it cocked and locked. I'm pretty tall so it's difficult to find a shirt that will cover it, especially with summer around the corner but its Michigan so who knows. I have gotten used to unsnapping on the draw and snapping it back into place when holstering it, so I'm confident in that aspect. I'm a little safety minded so it's really the only way I feel comfortable carrying it. Does anyone carry a 1911 IWB cocked and locked and if so, does it take time getting used to without a thumb break? Should I retrain with it as far as drawing and holstering is considered? Does anyone know a holster manufacturer that will do a IWB holster for this type of commander sized 1911? Or is it possible to make one for an existing holster?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to buy an actual belt for this purpose as I have recently discovered that is my issue with carrying my other firearms. So I guess, a good quality belt manufacturer would also be involved with these questions. Thanks guys!

The only way to carry it is cocked an locked. The time proven design requires the palm safety to be depressed the safety off and the trigger pulled to fire. Practice unloaded drawing and swiping the safety till its second nature. Fine weapon. You usually can go to ebay an get a milt sparks summer special for it for around 90.00 works great very comfortable.

I carry my 1911's cocked and locked and honestly I typically don't make thumb break rigs nor use/own them. I prefer just retention of a properly boned leather holster for all my carry rigs other than shoulder. Shoulder there isn't too many other options but I won't bring us off topic. One reason I prefer normal boned rigs IWB is because it's really hard to create a thumb break that will give you enough protection in the sweatshield area while still having the thumb break there. That and on 1911's IWB it's a pointy backed gun compared to allot of poly guns, if I bend over sometimes the beavertail or hammer on my 1911's will dig me badly in the side if I don't have a full sweat shield on the rig.

So it's preference but you won't find too many holster makers that build IWB rigs with a break, you also won't find a whole lot who recommend them for concealment gear. Typically I leave active retaining devices for duty type of gear, rather than concealment, though like anything plenty of guys have their own opinions on the topic and mine is worth what you paid for it;)

Take care!

Luke

Sponsored Links