Who uses a Thumb-break or other strap for 1911 carry?

This is a discussion on Who uses a Thumb-break or other strap for 1911 carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I personally know 3 guys who have shot themselves or other objects with cocked and locked .45s, and a couple with CZ75s as well. I'll ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Who uses a Thumb-break or other strap for 1911 carry?

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar

Who uses a Thumb-break or other strap for 1911 carry?

I personally know 3 guys who have shot themselves or other objects with cocked and locked .45s,
    and a couple with CZ75s as well.

I'll never carry a single action cocked 'n locked without a thumb-break or other sort of blocking the hammer,
    but I know a legion of guys do.

It's open for debate, but I know which camp in firmly entrenched in.

Do any of you guys carry with a cocked 'n locked 1911 with a thumbsnap or strap?

Please post some pics.

I ask this because my Dan Wesson CCO will be here (hopefully) with the month.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

2. Remove Ads

You hang around a group of very unlucky people. I do not know how they swiped the safety depressed the palm safety an pulled the trigger accidently all at the same time. They better never carry a glock they would only have to pull the trigger all your friends would be dead.
    Aceoky, Phaedrus, rocky and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Some guys pin the grip safety..you never know.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

Administrator
    I honestly do not see a need for a thumb break or retention strap between the hammer and slide/FP but, if anybody wants to carry their personal 1911 in a thumb break holster...in order to feel better...I won't get mad at them.

I do not understand how a 1911 could discharge inside of a holster with the thumb safety on and the grip safety not depressed and the 1911 hammer having either a safety cock or half cock notch and with the trigger and trigger guard covered....and then add a Firing Pin block (w/ some variations) onto that?
    I have never heard of that happening.
    I have never even heard of a properly holstered 1911 suffering an unintended discharge in an older style holster with an exposed trigger and guard.
    I am confused.
    OD*, Aceoky and JDE101 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I carry C&L IWB with Ozark holster cannot imagine how it could go off unless I swipe the safety, depress the grip safety AND pull the trigger? HOW exactly did these folks "get shot from carrying a C&L 1911"???

Sorry, no offense to you, but I'd say you have some pretty inept acquaintances for 3 of them to have unintended discharges with a 1911! And in my humble opinion, if they pinned the grip safety they are just plain stupid! Seems like your friends are "accidents" waiting to happen, and it is unsafe individuals like them that give responsible gun owners a bad name with the liberal anti gun media and the gun haters!!!

Don't blame the gun for operator error! A 1911 "cocked and locked" is perfectly safe if carried the way Mr Browning designed it to be carried and not messed with by inept fools!
    Phaedrus and Inspector71 like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

No thumb break for me. Like everyone else, I fail to see how a thumb break would prevent any type of discharge from the firearm. The only possible way for that firearm to go off is if it is already in your hands, in which case the thumb-break is playing no part. It is possible to discharge while holstering, but even then the safety would have to be off, in which case it isn't actually cocked and "locked".
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Thats got to be hard to do
    pittypat21 and QKShooter like this.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that a thumb break isn't used for the purpose of preventing the hammer from falling, but rather simply as a retention device to prevent the firearm from either falling out of the holster or being removed by the wrong hands.
    QKShooter likes this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    No Thumb-breaks on my 1911's nor on my Browning Hi-Power (& it dosen't have a grip saftey).

OD*
    No need for snaps or straps.
    rocky, gasmitty and QKShooter like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    I personally know 3 guys who have shot themselves or other objects with cocked and locked .45s,
    and a couple with CZ75s as well.I
    And would you share with us exactly what these guys' stories are?

I'm just a bit incredulous. If you know 100 guys who carry 1911s and 3 of them shot themselves accidentally, that 3% rate is 2 or 3 orders of magnitude larger than the rate of 1911 Condition 1 "accidents" over the past hundred years. Please clarify.
    OD*, rocky, pittypat21 and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lead Moderator
    No issues with open top carry here.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    To the OP, I feel your pain! I too was one of those nervous, superstitious sorts that was afraid the gun would magically go off. Mind you, I carried my Hi-Power cocked-&-locked for over 20 years without issue, but a lot of that was in a Galco Miami Classis with a thumb break. Needless to say, a single action auto carried C1 is at least as safe as a gun with no safety. I too am flabbergasted at the notion that someone, much less three someones, could have a 1911 go off in the holster! There's a grip safety, a thumb safety and usually a firing pin block.

Now of course, the thumb break could be another "safety" in a sense. If all the other measures to prevent the hammer from falling were defeated, the thumb break would intercept the hammer before it could hit the transfer bar or firing pin. In over 20 years I never had the hammer fall on my thumb break strap, though.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

If you decide to use a thumb break, then you need to practice your draw with that thumb break til your thumb breaks off (see what I did there?). You (OP) may consider the thumb break to be an extra safety, but if you fail to disengage that strap, it will be anything BUT a safety should your life depend on your draw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links