I may be looking for something that

This is a discussion on I may be looking for something that within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; has not been made yet, as I can't seem to find what I am looking for. What I would like to have is the name ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rednichols
  • 1 Post By azretired

Thread: I may be looking for something that

has not been made yet, as I can't seem to find what I am looking for.
    What I would like to have is the name of a company that makes a IWB holster with a forward cant.
    It would not have to be a full 17 degree (I think that is the number), something close to that.
    I only want full leather.
    Does anyone make this animal???
    Thanking you ahead for your responses.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Distinguished Member
    I have a holster made by D. M. Bullard for my 1911 .45. It has a forward cant, and is all leather. Very nice IWB holster. They have a website. I highly recommend them.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Fist Holsters makes several. I've got a number of their units and love the forward rake.

Had a holster custom-made by HBE Leatherworks with, IIRC, ~22 forward cant. Works very nicel.

There are many makers out there that have some flexibility in the degree of cant they offer within a design. It'll depend on the design and whether tilting the part that holds the weapon can actually be done without impacting the "backing" material or the holster's ability to securely/properly hold the gun.

Of course, any of the makers who offer a flat backing of leather or kydex with a completely separate "tacked on" molded piece should be capable of simply "taking on" that molded piece at a different cant.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

How about High Noon?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by vietnamvet66 View Post
    has not been made yet, as I can't seem to find what I am looking for.
    What I would like to have is the name of a company that makes a IWB holster with a forward cant.
    It would not have to be a full 17 degree (I think that is the number), something close to that.
    I only want full leather.
    Does anyone make this animal???
    Thanking you ahead for your responses.
    This one's available through High Noon:

second model 'big shot' (2).jpg

Not yet shown on their site. And the best angle range is 20-24 degrees; an angle as shallow as 17 degrees will need to be carried far enough forward of the 4:00 ideal that the grip doesn't stick out -- and then that's likely to be both uncomfortable, and unsafe when you're sitting.
    oneshot likes this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Most makers make their IWB holsters with the standard FBI forward cant. Not sure what the exact angle is, but it works quite well and has for years. The Milt Sparks Summer Special has been made this way for more than 30 years.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    oneshot likes this.
    Livin the Life!
    Join and Support the NRA

Quote Originally Posted by azretired View Post
    Most makers make their IWB holsters with the standard FBI forward cant. Not sure what the exact angle is, but it works quite well and has for years. The Milt Sparks Summer Special has been made this way for more than 30 years.
    With apologies to the present-day Sparks company, there is NO evidence that Uncle Miltie was a qualified holster designer, either then or now. The Summer Special itself was/is a copy of, as I recall, a "Gordo" Davis design of the same name; or Bruce Nelson; I knew all these men in their day, and the latter two were ex-Bianchi people.

Not sure what the exact angle is? The standard FBI tilt is a full THIRTY DEGREES off the vertical; here's the actual FBI holster produced by Heiser as their Model 457 for the FBI in the 1950s:

heiser fbi (1).JPG

Along with a comparo of John Bianchi's copy of Heiser's 459, both using the exact same 30 degree angle (John was a marketing innovator, not a holster innovator):

a heiser predated the bianchi (1).jpg

Remember we are now EONS ahead of what we thought we knew about holster design 30 years ago -- or Jeff Cooper and men like him wasted their lives -- because otherwise we'd all be toting Colt 357s in Heiser scabbards with 30 degree carry angles.

You need to remember that Sparks derived ALL of his learnings about holster configurations from the competition circuit that included IPSC and NRA Action Shooting, and on this circuit the carry angles varied wildly depending the era when carrying between the kidney and the appendix. It was Seyfried who startled that mob by competing with and "FBI rake" carried at 4:00 or thereabouts when the rest were muzzle forward or crossdraw. And these were competition shooters carrying metal-reinforced OWB holsters.

Also you need to remember that, before the Summer Special and the Pistol Pocket, IWB carry was strictly VERTICAL and appendix, and cost five dollars (literally). As concealable holsters move around the pelvis from appendix to kidney, the angle MUST change (increasingly muzzle raked to the rear) to be comfortable AND safe AND present the grip AND conceal -- especially IWBs.

These are not opinions, these are the facts, because, as Keith famously said, "Hell, I was THERE"
    Red (Richard) Nichols

THANK YOU ALL. I shall explore these companies for what I need.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

VIP Member
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    I really like my DeSantis Cozy partner IWB. It fits great, and is really comfortable.

My daughters BF really likes his as well; we use them for M&P compacts.

This is brown, but we have black.
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Kramer leather makes several, so does mitch rosen

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    This one's available through High Noon:

second model 'big shot' (2).jpg

Not yet shown on their site. And the best angle range is 20-24 degrees; an angle as shallow as 17 degrees will need to be carried far enough forward of the 4:00 ideal that the grip doesn't stick out -- and then that's likely to be both uncomfortable, and unsafe when you're sitting.
    Thats a nice looking holster

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Kramer leather makes several, so does mitch rosen
    I have a Mitch Rosen...nothing but quality all the way through....give em a look....

Mitch Rosen Gunleather

mitch rosen.jpg
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Side Guard Holsters - Home Page for Custom Leather Holsters

If he doesnt make what you are looking for I have found he is willing to work with you to make what you need.

Links