OWB Hammerless J-Frame holsters?

This is a discussion on OWB Hammerless J-Frame holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for an OWB holster for when my J-Frame gets sick of my pocket. There are plenty of holsters for hammered models, but very ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OWB Hammerless J-Frame holsters?

OWB Hammerless J-Frame holsters?

I'm looking for an OWB holster for when my J-Frame gets sick of my pocket.

There are plenty of holsters for hammered models, but very few for shrouded hammer models like the 642! The only one I've found is the Bianchi 55L Lightning.

The above is the type I'm looking for, but with an enclosed trigger, and maybe no thumbstrap. I like the single belt slot type rather than the scabbard style:

scabbard (not preferred by moi)

Anyone know a good OWB hammerless j-frame holster or am I going to have to go custom on this?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    http://www.donhume.com/Products/Prod...n&WeaponID=158

I searched Don Hume's site for a S&W 642-1 and turned up these results. It looks like the H721 O.T., D.A.H., or J.I.T. Slide models might suit your needs?

Good luck!

Would you consider "avenger" type?

You said you wanted a basic OWB holster with a single belt loop centered under the gun, and not a pancake or scabbard with two belt loops, on either side of the gun. Bianchi does make this type, as you pointed out, but Bianchi likes to put retaining straps on most of their holsters, which you don't want.

The type of holster you specify doesn't really hold the gun very close to the body, so it will stick out from the belt more, and be more likely to "print" on your cover garment. The belt loops on many holsters, located in front or back of the gun, tend to pull the holster tighter against the body and also stabilize the holster on the belt.

So I would suggest a compromise - an "Askins Avenger" design of holster, with the belt loop you want under the gun, and another belt loop behind the gun. I have a couple like this and they work pretty well at pulling the butt of the gun into the body, which is what you want. Kramer makes a nice one, their vertical belt scabbard. It is shown here with a revolver like yours:

VIP Member
    Check out Galco too!
    Last edited by Thumper; November 20th, 2006 at 01:37 AM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

If you can find one, this is a Bucheimer, Model B32-11, or Sheriff's Model. This one is over 30 yrs old. I carried it for a while, misplaced it during a move, found it about 5 yrs ago, and use it sometimes when I carry my 649 OWB. It gets used maybe once a week or so.
    2 things hold the gun in place. 1 is the molded 'pocket' for the cylinder. The other is a heavy spring steel piece sewed into. It's under the piece that's near the trigger guard, goes down over the barrel, and then back up along the back. I've carried it during some rough action and there's no way the gun is coming out unless it's drawn.
    On the back is the 2 belt loops. The rear one where the steel spring runs along pulls the butt of the 649 close into the body. It conceals the 649 pretty well with blue jeans and a dark t-shirt that is a bit loose.

VIP Member
    I got a Blackhawk j frame speedholster from Sportsmansguide. Its only $36.00 and has elastic that holds the gun in place for quick draw. I love it. I tried to get the link on here, but couldnt do it..

Here are two views of a Milt Sparks PMK with my wife's 642 with CT resting in it...it's a great holster, but a five month wait, so order soon!

Minor correction, jamz; the 642 is an enclosed hammer, with the 638 being the shrouded hammer where you can actually cock the hammer for SA shooting.

Last edited by JimmyC4; November 19th, 2006 at 09:24 PM.

i have a Hume J.I.T. for a S&W 442 and like it alot and the little holster is cheap to purchace.
    Deer huntin' is a hole in the swamp where i spend my wife's money....

Thanks for the replies, all. Those all look like good choices.

I also found a used Galco Paddle for the j-frame today.

Mo
    Blackhawk has a Serpa model for the j-frame now. Since it locks onto the triggerguard, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit ANY hammer style. Comes with a paddle and belt slot of course - something to think about!

Administrator
    Here is the Galco.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar

Tried to post the info off Blackhawk's website, but all that would take is the text. Here is the link also:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_det...uct_id=3771&d=

Leather Speed Classic

(Available only for some 2" classic revolvers)

The ultimate in speed for the ultimate in hideout handguns. This adaptation of the famous Berns-Martin design gives you a quick draw with secure carry and goes back to what the original models were, a small holster for a small handgun. Not the big, bulky versions some did later, which ignored the intent of a thin, minimalist design. The holster is handmade of premium, wet-molded leather and heavy duty elastic for a secure fit and a trailing edge belt loop, to pull the grip in tight to the body. Under a T-shirt, sweatshirt or suit coat, this will hold your snub-nose the way it was meant to be.

SKU: 420800BK

I have one for my Airweight Bodyguard and it's the fastest holster I've ever owned. It also holds the gun really firmly with no thumb break to slow you down or get caught in your grip on such a small pistol.

Plus 2 on the Blackhawk nice holster iwb and owb

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I got a Blackhawk j frame speedholster from Sportsmansguide. Its only $36.00 and has elastic that holds the gun in place for quick draw. I love it. I tried to get the link on here, but couldnt do it..
    I have the same holster and wear it daily. I love mine as well.

Not too expensive and does the job nicely.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links