Initial Review of Concealment Specialties Stays-Put Holster

This is a discussion on Initial Review of Concealment Specialties Stays-Put Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a Concealment Specialities "StaysPut" front pocket holster (Model JFR) for my J-Frame 342PD. It arrived today. Unlike an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, the ...

Thread: Initial Review of Concealment Specialties Stays-Put Holster

I ordered a Concealment Specialities "StaysPut" front pocket holster (Model JFR) for my J-Frame 342PD.

It arrived today. Unlike an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, the StaysPut has a flexible but fixed shape to it that does not print. It's very light. The outside of the holster is 100% "grabby" material, kind of like the middle band on an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. The inside of the hoster is a soft material.

Because the holster is a (flexible but) fixed shape, there is some retention when the gun is holstered, at least there is now when the holster is brand new. With the retention, I found I could not count on the grabby material to catch the inside of the pocket 100% of the time. Sometimes, the gun would come out of the pocket still holstered.

For now anyway, I find I need to either execute a thumb push off, or slip a couple of fingers around the grip with my shooting finger down the barrel inside the holster, and when pulling the gun out apply a little pressure in some direction (inward, outward, upward) so that the grabby material would catch on the inner pocket fabric and the gun would pull out free. Not much pressure is required.

This particluar holster also fits my Kahr P9 Covert.

Here are some photos I took showing the form of the holster as well as the 2 drawing techniques I've discovered so far:

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Don't know that I would want to risk my life or injury on a pocket holster that won't stay in the pocket in critical need time...I think for myself I would rather have the kind with the flap extention on the end that can't come out of the pocket until you tuck it under and remove it yourself. .....but it is a nice looking rig..
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

...may help to place the holster, drop yer drawers, and put a small safety pin through your pocket and the sewn rib at the bottom of the holster...

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Don't know that I would want to risk my life or injury on a pocket holster that won't stay in the pocket in critical need time...I think for myself I would rather have the kind with the flap extention on the end that can't come out of the pocket until you tuck it under and remove it yourself. .....but it is a nice looking rig..
    Well, it's brand new. I have no idea how it wears.

Further, aren't there lots of pocket holsters that have some retention and require some manipulation (other than grabbing the gun and pulling it out of your pocket) in order to free the gun?

Update:

The initial review was conducted in shorts with larger pockets.

In testing the holster today in jeans, the holster aways stayed in the pocket when I drew. No manipulation required.

Edit:

Tonight, I successfully wore the clipless CCS Holster IWB ("Remora-style"). I walked up and down 2 flights of steps, got into and out of my car twice, walked into a little restaurant and sat down for dinner. The gun & holster did not move. I had it in roughly the 2 o'clock position essentially Appendix IWB.

At $15, it's $10 cheaper than Remora.
    Last edited by CougarRed; June 13th, 2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: To include clipless IWB info

I also bought one of these for my Ruger LCP. It has a loop on the spine of the holster for a spare mag. It worked perfectly as a pocket holster or an AIWB clip less holster Remora-style

Sponsored Links