Web Gun Belt Stiffness

This is a discussion on Web Gun Belt Stiffness within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to buy a new holster and belt combo. I've pretty much boiled the holsters down I just have to make the final decision ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Web Gun Belt Stiffness

Web Gun Belt Stiffness

I'm looking to buy a new holster and belt combo. I've pretty much boiled the holsters down I just have to make the final decision based on cost, availability, and features. The belt is still pretty much up in the air. I'm leaning toward the web belts since the leather belts look a little too dressy for my taste. I like the 215 Gear Ultimate Riggers Belt, O.S.O.E Gears Rigid Cobra Belt and their Cobra Riggers Belt. The question I have is about the stiffness. I understand the stiffer the belt the better for EDC, but what about comfort? I'll be wearing this belt all day, it has to be comfortable. Does anyone have any of these belts and what are your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

A search for prior discussions should bring up a large number of threads. Search where Keywords = wilderness comfort; and FindPosts = Any Date.

Haven't owned a webbed belt myself, so I can't comment from experience.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The 5.11 Instructor's Belt (1.5") is my choice, I have a pair of Wilderness Tactical belts and rarely ever wear them. Wilderness Tactical get tons of praise, but much like Crossbreed holsters and Kahr firearms, I don't get the appeal, they aren't that great. You can get the 5.11 belt at Cabela's for about $30.

Distinguished Member
    S.O.E.. I got their EDC belt, it's amazing. It's not even one of their more heavy duty belts, but its fantastic - super stiff. I use it for IDPA mostly - OWB holster and two spare mags on the other side - no flexing, no sagging and best of all to me - super adjustable with the Velcro. Get one, you will not be sorry.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    S.O.E.. I got their EDC belt, it's amazing. It's not even one of their more heavy duty belts, but its fantastic - super stiff. I use it for IDPA mostly - OWB holster and two spare mags on the other side - no flexing, no sagging and best of all to me - super adjustable with the Velcro. Get one, you will not be sorry.
    Sounds good, the EDC from S.O.E. is one I've looked at, I kind of like the 1.5" Cobra Rigid. The EDC is an option though.

That's why I love this place! I'd never heard of S.O.E. but I checked out some vids on youtube- good looking stuff.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrguy View Post
    Sounds good, the EDC from S.O.E. is one I've looked at, I kind of like the 1.5" Cobra Rigid. The EDC is an option though.
    Don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I went with the EDC because the buckle is small enough to fit through belt loops on most pants, the other belt buckles look too big for that. Plus I appendix carry, so the smaller belt buckle is less bulk up there with my holster and gun as well. And as far as comfort, haven't noticed anything different - just as comfortable as any other belt. Except maybe a little more comfortable because you can micro adjust it with the Velcro, not too tight or too loose like when picking a hole with a leather belt (I've added extra holes to all my leather belts for this exact reason). Again you won't be sorry if you get one.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Just got a Galco 1.5" web Instructor belt. SUPER stiff (the reinforced one) and has the Velcro on the end/tail to keep it from flapping. Not too stiff, mind you, got it on right now and no big deal. Stiff but not uncomfortable. $50
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I went with the EDC because the buckle is small enough to fit through belt loops on most pants, the other belt buckles look too big for that. Plus I appendix carry, so the smaller belt buckle is less bulk up there with my holster and gun as well. And as far as comfort, haven't noticed anything different - just as comfortable as any other belt. Except maybe a little more comfortable because you can micro adjust it with the Velcro, not too tight or too loose like when picking a hole with a leather belt (I've added extra holes to all my leather belts for this exact reason). Again you won't be sorry if you get one.
    Thanks for the info. I've considered AIWB carry but I'm just a little apprehensive. Don't want to shoot myself in the leg where a major artery is! I know this is just being paranoid, but I'll have to gat a little more comfortable with the Glock before I try. Out of curiosity, which holster do you use for appendix carry?

Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    Just got a Galco 1.5" web Instructor belt. SUPER stiff (the reinforced one) and has the Velcro on the end/tail to keep it from flapping. Not too stiff, mind you, got it on right now and no big deal. Stiff but not uncomfortable. $50
    Thanks I'll look into this one!

Just a quick related question from someone who doesn't know how to start a new thread (sorry). I got a new leather holster but it hangs onto my glock 23 making anything approaching an efficient draw impossible. I left my weapon in it for the last couple of days and it doesn't seem to have improved at all. Any tips? Thanks for the belt comments. Maybe a stiffer belt will help as well.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Take into consideration how your holster and mag pouch attach to the belt. Those Cobra belt buckels can take some time getting your rig off and on if you have to feed the belt through loops or slots. Just FYI.

Web belts tend to be more comfortable for me because of the infinite amount of adjustment you can do with them. Leather belts can't be adjusted as much. I do like leather gun belts though.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    Just a quick related question from someone who doesn't know how to start a new thread (sorry). I got a new leather holster but it hangs onto my glock 23 making anything approaching an efficient draw impossible. I left my weapon in it for the last couple of days and it doesn't seem to have improved at all. Any tips? Thanks for the belt comments. Maybe a stiffer belt will help as well.
    Place your gun into a ZipLock Freezer Bag (one of the thicker kind) and stuff it into your new leather holster. Leave over night, and test it in the morning. The small amount of size difference from the freezer bag will stretch it out just a touch. Repeat if necessary.
    farsidefan1 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Place your gun into a ZipLock Freezer Bag (one of the thicker kind) and stuff it into your new leather holster. Leave over night, and test it in the morning. The small amount of size difference from the freezer bag will stretch it out just a touch. Repeat if necessary.

I do the same thing with a thin dress sock for the slight stretch. It works great.

To me the combination of the belt and holster are critical. I don't like wearing the really stiff gun belts. My OWB holster is a D.M. Bullard combat for my 1911s. My very old soft leather belt is very comfortable and holds the gun and holster very tight to reduce printing.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrguy View Post
    I'm looking to buy a new holster and belt combo. I've pretty much boiled the holsters down I just have to make the final decision based on cost, availability, and features. The belt is still pretty much up in the air. I'm leaning toward the web belts since the leather belts look a little too dressy for my taste. I like the 215 Gear Ultimate Riggers Belt, O.S.O.E Gears Rigid Cobra Belt and their Cobra Riggers Belt. The question I have is about the stiffness. I understand the stiffer the belt the better for EDC, but what about comfort? I'll be wearing this belt all day, it has to be comfortable. Does anyone have any of these belts and what are your thoughts?

I have the SOE COBRA belt. It's comfortable to wear. I don't really notice it. The only drawback to riggers belts is getting the buckle through belt loops on most pants. Mine only really threads through my tactical pants and some pairs of cargo shorts designed to take a good 2" belt. Jeans? Forget it.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links