Custom holster vs. Production Holsters

This is a discussion on Custom holster vs. Production Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; By production, I mean Bianchi, Galco, Safariland, etc.. I am in the market for some holsters (IWB and OWB) for a 1911 and S&W Shield. ...

Thread: Custom holster vs. Production Holsters

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.

By production, I mean Bianchi, Galco, Safariland, etc.. I am in the market for some holsters (IWB and OWB) for a 1911 and S&W Shield. BOB may be an option, but the way they designed makes it difficult for me to draw. It does not seem natural to reach around my back with my palm in.. I have a few OWB and shoulder rigs from Bianchi and Galco. I understand that they are hand made and the price is higher. I do not begrudge the craftsman in the least for wanting good money for his time and skills. My question is. Are the custom holsters really worth the difference? I am not looking for Tyrannasaurus skin or anything like that. Just good quality confortable holsters that are going to protect the gun that is going to protect me. I am 62 years old so bells, whistles and what is popular does not mean that much. Most of the LGS carry the stuff that is popular nowadays. As I said I'm older and want to try before I buy. That seems very difficult in todays market.

Any and all help and advice would be appreciated. If this horse is "DEAD" refer me another thread.

Thanks,
    Bill

I would think that at big box stores like Gander Mountain you could try one and return if you dont like. I'd ask to be sure of the policy. Cant do that at a LGS.

Also, some of the custom guys offer pretty good 30 day money back guarantees. So you would be out some effort but not the money.

good luck.

Sponsored Links