Plug for N82 - If You Haven't Tried One - You ow it to yourself.

This is a discussion on Plug for N82 - If You Haven't Tried One - You ow it to yourself. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the reasons I've never taken to IWB carry is that it's been very uncomfortable. I've tried Crossbreed, Galco, and a host of other ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Compa49

Thread: Plug for N82 - If You Haven't Tried One - You ow it to yourself.

Plug for N82 - If You Haven't Tried One - You ow it to yourself.

One of the reasons I've never taken to IWB carry is that it's been very uncomfortable. I've tried Crossbreed, Galco, and a host of other makers (my holster drawer is overflowing)... but then I tried once more with a N82 Tactical Professional model with my XD-S and I couldn't be happier.

Secure, comfortable and very well made in the USA.

If you're on the fence and haven't found anything that works for you, you owe it to yourself to try it.

N82 Tactical XD-S by Mr. Chris Nauman, on Flickr

2. Remove Ads

I have one for my Cz 2075, I really like it. It's the original model. I would recommend if in the market for an Iwb.

I'm a big fan of the N82 Original. The reason they have different models is that different people like different holsters, so if you don't like one, be sure to try one of their others. I didn't like the Professional and it took me almost a year to get around to ordering and trying an Original and wish I'd done it sooner. It would have saved me a lot of trouble.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

I bought their original first (didn't have the pro for the XD-S at the time) and it was great as well, I just like the added retention of the pro and the comfort is the same.

They definitely make a quality USA product!

Just got my second one from N82... this time for my .40 Shield I opted for the tuckable original with the Crimson Trace laser system option. I have the original for my .40c and had to get another for the Shield. Great holsters, as others have said if you've tried other IWB and don't like the feel, you must try one from N82. Highly recommended by many!

When ever I have thought about the N82 holsters there are two things I don't like about their holsters. One is no combat cut around the grip. Two is the clip. I prefer the concealibility of c clips. My second choice are the reverse J clips. It's less noticeable and there isn't any ends to snag on things. But they do look comfortable with the extra padding. I have been considering the following since they have some padding and not just leather. Blank Title - Home
    MrsHB likes this.

I have the professional model for my Glock 19. Definitely an awesome product. I am going to be ordering another one for the XDS I just got. I can't think of a better combination for concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Compa49 View Post
    When ever I have thought about the N82 holsters there are two things I don't like about their holsters. One is no combat cut around the grip. Two is the clip. I prefer the concealibility of c clips.
    I agree completely. The modifications I did to my N82 Original were:

1. Replacing the cheap metal clip with a tuckable c-clip from Comp-tac (Looking for feedback on Comp-Tac belt clips)... and adding a butt-forward cant in the process; and
    2. Cutting most of the padding away from behind the grip, where it tended to interfere with drawing. I doubt most people need padding behind their gun grip anyway, unless it's a very aggressive grip (like the XDS).

Here's some pictures of the end result:
    IMG_0057.JPGIMG_0060.JPGIMG_0061.JPG

The 3 layers of the N82 padding are bonded together with some type of glue, so you can cut and trim without worrying about the layers separating. However, the glue makes it almost impossible to sew through, so if you want a finished look, you'll have to glue (rather than sew) your edging material over the raw edge.

I have been considering the following since they have some padding and not just leather. Blank Title - Home
    Hope you'll post a review for us if you try one of these. I've heard good things about natural fleece as a padding material, but none of the holsters I've tried so far have it.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    I agree completely. The modifications I did to my N82 Original were:

1. Replacing the cheap metal clip with a tuckable c-clip from Comp-tac and adding a butt-forward cant in the process; and
    2. Cutting most of the padding away from behind the grip, where it tended to interfere with drawing.
    I'd like to know how you went about these modifications. I use the Comp-Tac clips in my Old Faithful holster. I like them a lot. They are barely noticeable. I'm not sure those mods are something I have the skill to do. I may have to bribe my Mom to do something like that.

I actually removed the leather clip holder using a seam ripper (cheap sewing tool); then discarded the cheap metal clip; then punched holes in the leather piece for the hardware (which requires a leather punch); installed the hardware; then sewed the leather/hardware piece back onto the elastic (with the desired amount of cant) by hand.

Sewing it back on by hand was very tedious, because you're basically trying to sew inside the pocket where the gun will go. You need thick, preferably waxed, thread. Regular thread will cut through the leather. Tie a knot periodically as you go; that way, if your thread breaks, you won't have to start completely over. (Also, if a thread breaks while you're using your holster, the whole seam won't disintegrate.)

When installing the hardware on the leather piece, be sure to use 2 screws, not 1. If you only use one, the clip will pivot and make the holster unstable.

Seems like a lot of trouble, but one of the nice things about the N82 Original is that the elastic allows one holster to be used with several different guns (as long as they're similarly sized and configured). With the N82 Pro (or any hard plastic/kydex holster), the holster can usually only be used with one particular make & model of gun.

Good luck!
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Links