Box of Holsters

This is a discussion on Box of Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. This is my first post here, and I thought it might be helpful to share my insight about some of the holsters I ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Djpxd
  • 1 Post By Djpxd

Thread: Box of Holsters

Box of Holsters

Hello everyone. This is my first post here, and I thought it might be helpful to share my insight about some of the holsters I have acquired over the past year for concealed carry. My carry weapon is a Springfield XDs, and I have spent a lot more money than I ever expected trying to find the right holster.
    One thing to note is that I have a very bad lower back (even with plenty of "core" exercising). Almost every holster I have tried resulted in me getting all twisted up after more than an hour of concealed carry. I am new to concealed carry (about a year), but to me, a fully loaded XDs gets pretty danged heavy when strapped to your side all day.
    I am hoping this might save a few people a few bucks in their search for a good holster.
    I'll go in order of purchase.

The Zlogonje Elemental pancake OWB:
    This is a GREAT holster. It is made extremely well with fantastic retention. It actually conceals pretty well, and the most comfortable position I could find with it was about 2 to 2:30. But with an an hour or two of wearing it at any position, the weight of the XDs and the pressure on my hips caused my crickety back to start twisting up. I still use it at the range or for open carry for shorter amounts of time. Overall, I love this holster, but it just doesn't work for everyday carry for me.

Old Faithful IWB:
    This is a very well made holster. I got the kit to put together and it was quick. The problem is that this holster caused me the most pain and discomfort out of any of my holsters. I tried it for a good month, and it caused my back to have major problems. I even got a much better, stiffer gun belt with a kydex insert to improve it, and tried leather loops instead of the clip. But for me, it is completely unwearable and I am bummed that I didn't ask for their guarantee refund, but I was outside of thirty days. After all the reviews about how this style of holster is the most comfortable, I thought I'd have a winner, but it just does not work for me.

Remora IWB with leather lining:
    This actually works pretty well, but I find that if you get too sweaty, it slides. For quick trips to the store or when you are wearing pants/shorts with elastic, it is awesome. But the first time I used it for all day carry I was in a Dicks Sporting Goods standing in the checkout line. It was really hot in the store and I was sweating because my jacket was on and the holster suddenly popped out of my hip when I took a couple steps forward. Thankfully I had a long t-shirt on that I was able to tuck my arm under it and keep it from hitting the floor. So, I knew that would not work for everyday carry for me either.

N82 Tactical IWB:
    This holster is fantastic. The padding keeps it from pinching my nerves and I can wear it in about any position comfortably. The retention is great, and the suede backing helps it to "stick" to the body which distributes the weight better. I had finally found a holster I can wear all the time and comfortably. I love it and highly recommend it. But, was intrigued by another holster I saw online and decided to give it a try. and it was:

Kusiak Leatherworks IWB:
    This holster is also amazing and I can't say enough good things about it. It works well for appendix carry and for any other position. It is extremely light, and thin (maybe 5oz thickness) but it is still nice and stiff, but not too stiff. The way it is made there are no hard edges, but it is rounded. When I first got it, I thought it seemed kind of cheap, but after closer inspection, it is very well made. I thought this would be a nerve pincher for sure, but no. It just works for me. If I had to choose between this and the N82, it would be an extremely tough choice and would just have to toss a coin. I also love this holster and would highly recommend it.

I hope this was helpful so some of you, and I hope I posted it in the right place.
    IMG_2919.jpgIMG_2923.jpgIMG_2921.jpgIMG_2922.jpgIMG_2920.jpg
    DJC7 and PEF like this.

2. Remove Ads

I hear ya Bro!! My boxa holsters are mostly for guns I no longer own (357/9mm). You haven't told us your age or if you've got other ailments besides back problems.
    I found out about 4 or 5 years ago I got Arthritis. So far I've been lucky in that only my legs/hips/ankles are effected. Just thank the good Lord it's not in my hands yet.
    Before arthritis hit me I carried IWB at 12 my 1911 in 380. Doing that drives my hips crazy then my legs and ankles start hurting and I basically just stop. At that point the only thing that works for the pain is to get drunk. As I don't wanna be drunk all the time I just take the pain.

The only thing I would suggest is a shoulder rig or Heaven forbid retire your XD and consider a 38+P snubby or 380 or combo of both. I know my suggestions kinda semi suck but there it is. The only other suggestion I might have is find yourself a really young wife or go Indy Jones and look for the Fountain of Youth. If you find it bring me back some will ya?? I could trade food for some.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Thanks for the reviews! There are a couple in there I had never heard of before. Does the Kusiak stay open for one handed re holstering?
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I am only 42, but I have had a bad back since my early 20's. It stinks! I haven't had too many problems since the N82 and Kusiak. Yes, the Kusiak does allow for one handed reholstering, that is, unless your belt is too tight! ;)
    DJC7 likes this.

Like many have been carrying for over 20 years an have tried many holsters an companies. There are lots of good ones an like guns I have bought many. I seem to always fall back to milts summer special or rosens arg or workman, for owb I am sold on hayesleather.com beautiful workmanship. But for just downright comfort hard to beat a summer special. I also keep a remora in the car for cross draw while driving than return to strong side upon arrival. I carry mostly snubs but do cc a shield an a CZ 75p01 occasionally they all have a summer specials an they all disappear in them

VIP Member
    Thanks for posting. Feedback like this is very helpful!

I've yet to hear complaints about the N82.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

OP, given the condition of your back and the holsters you've been using, the anecdotal evidence is that IWB is not for you. The holster that puts the LEAST amount of pressure on your nervous system will be a (good) paddle holster, followed by an ordinary loop-style belt holster. Bottom line: nothing wrong with your choice of brands; what has to change is your choice of carry style. Even the (right) shoulder holster would be an improvement for you. Hope that helps :)
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Similar experience with the Remora, very comfortable but unpredictable. One time all day, no problems, next time slid down my leg in short order. However it was not difficult to add a belt clip so if its comfortable for you then you might consider ordering a clip from Amazon.

I have the IWB Kusiak as in your picture but with the addition of the spare magazine carrier. I have only been using it about a week with my Lac9, so far it is working well with jeans, dockers and even on some pants that use a tied waistband rather than a belt. It is very comfortable for me. Yes, you can reholster the pistol while wearing it.

Distinguished Member
    Only on box of holsters. You need at least four before you can post about them. :) Thanks for the post. I have written about some of my holsters myself in the hopes of preventing others from making the same mistakes I did but it does not seem to be doing much good. :-)
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    If you can train to not sweep yourself in a dangerous fashion, IMO, if you have back issues, you should try a white 5.11 conceal shirt. It takes the weight off your waist and distributes it to your upper body. I haven't tried it with an XDs but I think that gun would just about disappear in one for Summer wear under a loose short sleeved shirt.

Cool

Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida.

Thanks for the post and insights.

Regards,

FlaRon
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

The Zlogonje Elemental is on my short list of holsters. What color trim is that on yours? The Kusiak looks interesting as well.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    It may be necessary to go to a gun that is light and small enough so that it is not painful to carry.
    Although I sometimes carry my Kahr P9, SA 1911 Compact LE, or S&W 642, by far the most carried is a Kel-Tec P3AT in a Fobus Paddle Holster. Sometimes I use a pocket holster.
    This gun is light and small, and permits carry all day with no pain.
    Having suffered a staph infection in my lower spine that damaged several disks I can understand pain and carrying problems. Go to a gun you can carry.

Best,
    Jerry

It's marbled mahogany.

Thanks for all the good suggestions, but the good news is that with the N82 and the Kusiak, I'm not having problems anymore. Iwb is so much more concealable, so I am happy to have found something that works before I ended up with more boxes of holsters. ;)

Links