How does 'tuckable' work?

This is a discussion on How does 'tuckable' work? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reading up a lot on holsters lately and I think I have deiced to go with a CompTac CTAC for my Kahr CW9. ...

Thread: How does 'tuckable' work?

I've been reading up a lot on holsters lately and I think I have deiced to go with a CompTac CTAC for my Kahr CW9. It says that it has a tuckable option, how exactly do tuckable holsters work?

Assistant Administrator
    Probably one or more of our holster makers will chip in with the definitive explanation but - it is for me a rig that has enough space between the belt clips and the rig itself to introduce a fold of shirt.

Bit like pulling a small amount of ''spare'' out of pants and tucking that between gun and clips. I think Gary, or Eric, maybe Matt too - have posted a pic before showing very nicely the difference between a tuckable and std IWB.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It is an IWB holsetr that allows the shirt to be tucked in between the holster and the pants. This is done often by affixing the belt hooks for the holster low on the holster, bringing them up over the waistband and then over/around etc. the belt.

I have three IWB Tuckable holsters from Tuckergunleather, http://www.tuckergunleather.com

One each for my Kahr Arms P9, Springfield 1911 A1, Beretta 92FS. As stated above you tuck your shirt between your belt and the clip. The ones I have work great.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Imho tuckables work , slowly , with two hands , its right above ankle carry for me .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Check out Desantis Tuck This for a good display of how a tuckable works. Still faster than a ankle holster, but does take 2 hands to draw fast.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I used to think I wouldn't like a tuckable, but recently I have begun to tuck my T shirt in over a standard IWB, which hasa workable factor of about 7/10. I may have to get a tuckable myself.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Lead Moderator
    I like the option. Although rarely use the tuckable feature unless dressed up a bit.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I wear a two-clip IWB tuckable everyday. I have a C.T.A.C. for my Kel-Tec P-11 and a Tucker "Answer" for my Glock G23. Of the two C.T.A.C. provides easier reholstering due to its all-Kydex construction, but the upright Kydex sweatguard digs into my side when the holster is worn empty. The Answer has a Kydex front, allowing reasonable reholstering and a soft leather back for comfort. Both work best just behind the pelvis. I can sit in chairs and car seats just fine; once in a while, the frame of a hardback chair will hit right on the gun and cause me to have to shift around a bit, but they are really comfortable for all-day wear.

Tucking the shirt into an IWB tuckable is best done with the belt and front trouser closures undone. There is typically not enough room to get your fingers down between the holster and the pants, so the result is a wrinkly mess. I have meant to try using a shoe horn or some other flat blade to assist in tucking but haven't yet.

The bottom line, the tuckable holsters really do conceal the gun but really do slow the draw. I wear mine untucked with a cover garment whenever possible, but its nice to be able to tuck in a dress shirt when the occasion calls for it.
    Last edited by jofrdo; November 22nd, 2006 at 10:27 AM.

I have a Tucker Answer and a Galco Ultra Deep Cover for my Kimber Ultra.

I usually carry the Tucker, because of the extra stability and good draw position. The Galco is useful, if I expect to have to remove and replace the holster in tight quarters, such as a vehicle.

The tuckable feature is very useful if I'm going to be in a situation where I'm not going to wear a jacket or some such over-garment. Or if I go someplace that's too warm to keep the over-garment on. Yesterday, for example, I wore a polo shirt tucked in around the Answer. There's plenty of room to tuck in and then blouse the shirt a bit and concealment is fine.

The main problem with tucking is accessibility. You need to work with whatever rig you use and get thoroughly comfortable with drawing your weapon from the tucked condition, both one-handed and two-handed. Untucked is definitely preferable, but tucked permits carrying when it might not otherwise be practicle. But, practice your draw!

Note the space between the belt clips and the holster on the Answer.

Here's the Galco.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Sponsored Links