Defensive Carry banner

Remora fans reinforced or regular

4K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Ctger05 
#1 ·
I currently have a regular Remora for my Kimber ultra eclipse which I use more than my other two holsters. Now thinking about getting one for my Walther PPQ after a little more reliability testing. I am thinking I may prefer the reinforced top model due mostly to re holstering a loaded gun with no safety ( other than no finger on the trigger ). I want to be able to practice with this holster which for me means drawing and firing from concealment. This is my first striker fired gun after only shooting 1911's for the last 15 years. Maybe I am overly cautious but the lack of a safety does make me a little nervous. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

#3 ·
Why do you need a reinforced top for reholstering?

To reholster mine, I simply remove the holster from my waistband, pinch to open, insert gun, then insert the holstered gun back into my waistband.

This is with a striker-fired gun (Shield) without the safety on.

I didn't want a reinforced top since they're a bit more bulky and less concealable.

#10 ·
For me with my Kimber I have to keep my belt tight to keep my pants from sagging which then causes me to be pulling them up frequently. I can pull the Remora out but putting it back requires undoing belt and depending on what pants I am wearing may have to unbutton to put holster and gun back. Your body type and/or your lighter weight gun may not give you this same issue.

#5 ·
I got the non-reinforced. I wanted it to be as comfortable as possible and be less bulky. I got it today. I looked in the mailbox and bemoaned the fact it still had not arrived. I then moved a piece of mail and saw a very thin envelope, it contained my Remora. I was shocked at how thin the envelope was. I am very pleasantly surprised. I also found I can reholster using two hands with the holster still in my waistband. It is quick and easy for me. I am carrying a Tarus 85 so basically like a J frame. That may make a bit of difference over trying to reholster an auto.

#6 ·
Agreed on taking out the holster for reholstering. IMHO that's even safer than a stay-open holster. I would not try to holster a "standard" Remora while still iwb, especially without a manual safety. Way too much fiddling when the barrel is pointed at my sensitive areas.

#8 ·
I have a remora holster with a plastic clip . I do not like the clip but the fabric or skin of it is perfect. You cannot do anything with alot of movement with this holster. I had to get another holster with a retainer strap accross the trigger while riding on the motorcycle .

#12 ·
I have a reinforced Remora for my Bersa Thunder Pro UC 9mm. I like it, and I can't imagine going without it. I understand where all of you are coming from with the comments about just taking it out to reholster, but I spend a considerable amount of time getting my Remora to just the right spot and just the right cant, and I would hate to have to repeat that effort when I'm performing draw drills. Maybe I am overly picky. If I ever had to use my weapon I'd be concerned about dropping the holster to the ground when reholstering and therefore losing control of my gun at a critical moment.

I would definitely go without the reinforced holster for pocket carry, but there I prefer the DeSantis Super Fly to the Remora.

#13 ·
op, i carry everything in my rotation in it's regular remora. one is a pf9, another is an xd sc and my edc is an xdm. i have to remove my firearm a few times a day. and i never remove my holster. i really don't see what the fuss is. i reholster while seated in my car in less than a few seconds and i'm not going for speed. i carry at about 3-3:15.

#14 ·
I must concur with those above who say they remove the empty Remora, re-holster and put the whole rig back in. It IS safer, IMO, and the reinforced top might be nice, but I don't especially think you need it on a holster such as the Remora.

#15 ·
I only use my Remora (non-reinforced) for quick trips to the store and the like. I find it way more comfortable and concealable in the 3-4 o'clock position to carry in my hybrid (Crossbreed style) holster. Much more stable and distributes the weight of the firearm over a wider area. It disappears under a loose t-shirt.

#20 ·
I had originally bought a reinforced version for my Glock 30 but found it a bit too bulky. I am very happy with the regular version. I also figured that if I do need to reholster, I'll just take the holster out, reholster, and reinsert. For practicing, you can do the same. It's a bit slower, but probably safer.

Ben

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

#22 ·
I was still debating which to buy and then noticed this on the Remora site describing the reinforced Remora.

"The Remora Reinforced Top "No-Clip" Holster does not have the same comfortable carry as our Original "No-Clip" Holsters made without the reinforced top. The purpose and design of the "RFT" holster is specifically for when single handed holstering is a major priority.

THE "RFT" HOLSTER IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR THOSE WHOSE CARRY NEEDS DO NOT MEET THIS CRITERIA.

Guess I could have read that before I started this thread. I do appreciate your responses and found them interesting.

Ordered the non reinforced version.

#23 ·
i forgot to mention i always get the half sweat shield. basically covers the rear of the slide and wraps justt over the rear sights so they don't gouge my love handles. but the grip is fully exposed. just the way i like it. as far as taking off the holster to re-holster, that would be soooooo much more work and time consuming for me. it really takes me no time to re-holster while sitting in my car. let alone standing. plus, if anyone is looking at/in my car, i'd rather them think i'm digging for butt puppets rather than watch me handle a gun. i'm usually at a court house or a post office when i have to leave it in the car. so there's always people and leo's walking around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.