Designing waiter's apron holster - need advice

This is a discussion on Designing waiter's apron holster - need advice within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to design a proper holster for a pocket pistol, to allow concealment in a waiter's apron. I've seen the pocket stitched on ...

Thread: Designing waiter's apron holster - need advice

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

I would like to design a proper holster for a pocket pistol, to allow concealment in a waiter's apron. I've seen the pocket stitched on the back of the square tie-around-the-waist apron, but would like to see more secure retention.

I am thinking of RetSUp's favorite FIST-INC pocket holster (with the thumb push-off thingy), with a piece of velcro added, to attach to a velcro piece inside a deep or double-compartment pocket I might sew into the apron. I would like to make two designs, one for a full-length apron and one for the square around-the-waist type.

Anyone want to add thoughts or suggestions on how best to do this? Thanks in advance.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

20130619_200701.jpg

the holster, being made of kydex, smooth on the front side with the retention molding on the backside would be "hung" from your belt and covered with an apron of choice.

first thing to pop into my head.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBIEvs42 View Post
    20130619_200701.jpg

the holster, being made of kydex, smooth on the front side with the retention molding on the backside would be "hung" from your belt and covered with an apron of choice.

first thing to pop into my head.
    That would make a very bizarre X-ray.

Oddly enough, tonight as I carried a load of trash to the dumpster at 11pm I considered this as well. I'm a bartender and was all alone in a deserted parking lot. An apron holster would be ideal.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    That would make a very bizarre X-ray.
    "...and this is my gun..."

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    Oddly enough, tonight as I carried a load of trash to the dumpster at 11pm I considered this as well. I'm a bartender and was all alone in a deserted parking lot. An apron holster would be ideal.
    I will certainly post plans and notes if we are able to produce something useful...

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I think the double-pocket idea is your best bet and then allowing any pocket holster to go into it. Some folks may like the FIST option, others may prefer a Remora, and someone else may like the DeSantis they're already using.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I would think a tuckable appendix carry holster would be the easiest choice. Barring that just make sure whatever you do protects the trigger. Some stiff leather or Kydex would seem to be in order.

Wouldn't just a canted AIWB carry work? Just sew something a little more stiff, perhaps a square of leather or other material on the backside of the apron so when it's drawn taught it doesn't outline your firearm.

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking it might go that way... or a SmartCarry variant in appendix position, as she doesn't normally wear belts. The apron would provide a good 'cover garment' for possible printing (which would be minimal with a 380). This would also be a way she could wear the 'company' apron without modification. Thanks!

Obviously if the tip is less than 15%, a flap should automatically open and deploy the weapon.

When I was a convenience store clerk and wore an apron, I carried a J frame snub nose revolver inside the pants with an open top belt clip holster made by Bianchi. It worked well except for times when I had to bend down to get something off the floor. If allowable, you can carry a small gun in a Sneaky Pete holster. It is fashionable and completely discreet. Third option could be a t-shirt holster worn under a button up shirt.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Yeah, I'm kinda thinking it might go that way... or a SmartCarry variant in appendix position, as she doesn't normally wear belts. The apron would provide a good 'cover garment' for possible printing (which would be minimal with a 380). This would also be a way she could wear the 'company' apron without modification. Thanks!

Check out 3Speed Holster Same concept but a much better thought out and quality made product.

Links