New holsters, wash them?

This is a discussion on New holsters, wash them? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something strange has been happening. Toward the end of April I got a iwb holster for my gp100 and wore it for about a week. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New holsters, wash them?

New holsters, wash them?

Something strange has been happening. Toward the end of April I got a iwb holster for my gp100 and wore it for about a week. At the end of that week I had a strange infection where the holster sits. I'll spare you all the pleasantries.

Fast forward I seem to have what I would now call scar tissue from that experience. Well I miss my gp100 so I wore her today and I think I may have made a connection. As the night has drawn on that area has began to itch awful. Awful as in I had to take a bath for relief it.

No I am not allergic to leather. I have vests and other holsters that give me no problem. Anyone have this experience or have ideas on what it might be about this holster that is doing it? Think washing it or soaking it in something will work?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I would contact the holster maker. Let him know now about the problem. He may have a suggestion or have had a batch of badly tanned leather.
    031131 and OD* like this.

Yes, I'd stay away from immersing the leather in water. It could cause shrinkage and stiffness, I think. As recommended above, contact the maker (or someone familiar with leather, I guess) and ask. Possibly cleaning and putting a wax or something (made for holsters) on it. Good luck.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Try wearing a t-shirt the leather against bare skin and then sweating even just a little can cause a rash

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    Zeebra724 likes this.

Id throw the holster away, get something much better suited for carry than a massive gp100, and move on. Of course Im going to recommend a Glock 19, though an M&P compact 9mm I find a tad better for IWB carry.

Hope your infection gets better.

Wash it with saddle soap an alittle water must have some formaldehyde in it get a suede brush to help clean it

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Find some poison oak or poison ivy and slather that on the other side of your body and the rash from the holster will not seem as bad.

Kidding aside I would contact wherever you brought it from and ask them about it. They might have some suggestions or if other people have had the same problem it might be something wrong with the leather and might send you a new one.

I sure am thankful no one has posted that no pics= it did not happen
    lionround and Jetfuelrm like this.

Administrator
    You could try spraying a coat of polyurethane varnish on the side that contacts your skin or possibly finding some self adhesive mole skin in a size that would completely cover the area of the holster that contacts your skin. That might help.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'd contact the maker and see what's up, depending on the tannage of the leather and the dye and top coat it could all have effects. My best guess though would be with the leather tannage or a reaction between your body like an allergy of some sort with the rig or something it's treated with. You could clear coat it with acrylic and that should help seal it in, however if it were me I'd want to get to the bottom of the issue rather than try and find a quick fix.

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

GH
    My guess is there's something on the holster that you're allergic to - the die, the tanning agent, a treatment the leather got - something. Maybe you're not allergic but you might have a skin sensitivity. That can be worse because with an allergy you can be given medication that will lessen the effect whereas with a skin sensitivity your skin can't come into contact with the offending material. You might be the only person in the world who's sensitive to that product. I'd definitely keep that away from your skin. If out of necessity you can't then I'd make sure I had a tube of cortisone ointment with me to be applied after a good wash with a mild soap.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Id throw the holster away, get something much better suited for carry than a massive gp100, and move on. Of course Im going to recommend a Glock 19, though an M&P compact 9mm I find a tad better for IWB carry.

Hope your infection gets better.
    lol massive? You kind make it sound like you are one of those classic stereotypical glock/m&p guys (as in only glock and m&p). Well incase you are unaware or just don't know, the gp100 has different barrel lengths. Mine being the 3 inch barrel, not the walloping 6. I have a preference for full size hgs. Although I will go compact on a rare occasion. Mainly because the weight and size doesn't bother me so I don't mind carrying them :) and thank you for the well wish's, 8 hours a day in scalding hot water for a week seemed to do it last time. I hope to get it soon enough that I don't have to spend that much time in there lol. I feel so feminine sitting in a bathtub. No offence to anyone.

Thanks everyone, I will be calling them at my earliest convenience.
    BadgerJ likes this.

Lol, well I probably am one of those guys. Or close enough for you to consider me one.

There are logical reasons, btw, that some of us think that way re carry guns. They are, for the most part, the only guns that make it through a two day, 1,000 round pistol course. Of course your revolver would too, but you simply wouldnt be able to keep up.

You cant tell me much about GP 100s. I had one in my desk drawer for the last 12 years. Mine was the 4" barrel, SS. It wasnt the barrel length that I was talking about. It was the girth.

But, as you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    lol massive? You kind make it sound like you are one of those classic stereotypical glock/m&p guys (as in only glock and m&p). Well incase you are unaware or just don't know, the gp100 has different barrel lengths. Mine being the 3 inch barrel, not the walloping 6. I have a preference for full size hgs. Although I will go compact on a rare occasion. Mainly because the weight and size doesn't bother me so I don't mind carrying them :)

Thanks everyone, I will be calling them at my earliest convenience.
    031131 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    I feel so feminine sitting in a bathtub. No offence to anyone.
    There must be a full moon coming. The forum posts are just sounding crazy.
    031131, Rock and Glock and MrsHB like this.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    You stated you are not allergic to leather but you may be allergic to some process that was used to treat this leather. Different holster makers either purchase already treated leathers or do it themselves.. Did you purchase a natural leather holster or is it
    stained. If stained you could be having a reaction to caustic materials in the staining process.....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    You stated you are not allergic to leather but you may be allergic to some process that was used to treat this leather. Different holster makers either purchase already treated leathers or do it themselves.. Did you purchase a natural leather holster or is it
    stained. If stained you could be having a reaction to caustic materials in the staining process.....
    Well honestly I'm not 100% sure. Side Guard Holsters - IWB Holsters - Tuck Clip this is where and what I got. I assume it is stained (mine is black).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links