Anyone Carry An L Frame? Smith & Wesson 686 To Be Exact? How?

This is a discussion on Anyone Carry An L Frame? Smith & Wesson 686 To Be Exact? How? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey yall, I've got the Smith and Wesson 686 that is my dad's and we just love the thing. Does anybody else carry a large ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone Carry An L Frame? Smith & Wesson 686 To Be Exact? How?

Anyone Carry An L Frame? Smith & Wesson 686 To Be Exact? How?

Hey yall, I've got the Smith and Wesson 686 that is my dad's and we just love the thing. Does anybody else carry a large K or L frame revolver like this? I need holster suggestions. I am mainly for conceal carry but I live in TN (legal open carry state) so if I can't or people notice it is not really a big deal. I am aware it won't conceal like a J frame and that is fine, I'm not concerned with that as I probably won't carry it all the time. I want to carry this gun more for sentimental reasons than anything.

Goose
    GhostMaker and bduffee like this.
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Someone make a holster for it. Get one and OC that sucker....

There may be IWB options but I would think the easiest way to conceal it would be OWB with a cover garment like a light shirt or vest.
    gooseman1991 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Someone make a holster for it. Get one and OC that sucker....

There may be IWB options but I would think the easiest way to conceal it would be OWB with a cover garment like a light shirt or vest.
    Yup. I have a 686+ and finding a IWB holster that fit me well is an ongoing chore. It fits in an sp101 generic leather holster but rides to high for me. I changed the clip so it rides lower but it's still not quite right[ it's still too fat with the leather and wide cyl.]. What I did with my sd40 is buy a Blackhawk holster stick the unloded pistol in it and with my basic sewing skill sewed the holster "around' the gun.I was thinking of trying the same thing with the 686.I did have to cut the holster a bit so I was still protecting the trigger and have easy access to the grip. It works great. Gun stays secure if I hold it upside down however if I jiggle it[yes unloaded lol], it will fall out. I'm ok with that because when I wear it and jump up and down it stays put.
    So I'm thinking I'll try this with the Smith.

I sometimes carry k & N framed smiths. When I do there in shoulder holsters and I'm wandering around the woods.

If you happen to have the 2.5" round butt version of the 686+ it conceals easily enough OWB in a good pancake type holster. I use a Fist #12 when I carry mine but there are plenty of holsters that will work as well. Here are pictures of mine with both Hogue Bantam grip and Eagle Secret Service grips, both of which work well for concealment.
    Attached Images
    40Bob likes this.

I use to carry my 4" S&W 686 in a simply rugged Sourdough Pancake holster but I needed a jacket to conceal it.

Simply Rugged Holsters ? Holsters, Gun Belts, Ammo Pouches and Accessories
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

I've got the 3" 686+ and carry in a Lobo Leather enhanced pancake with a thumb break. This is OWB and for me a cold weather, jacket, woods carry set up. Extremely comfortable because of the unique way they cut the holster for belt loops. Great quality too.
    Lobo Gun Leather - ENHANCED PANCAKE STYLE HOLSTER
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

See if Bob Mernickle makes a high ride OWB for that. I think it's model 6 something?

I'm thinking the Simply Rugged or Lobo seems to best fit my needs...unless someone can find me a cheaper alternative. Also I forgot to mention it's the 6 inch bbl version.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    I've got the 686+ 6" barrel and absolutely LOVE the gun. It's so powerful and accurate it isn't even funny. When I had a "bump in the night experience," and had to roll out of bed and grab something, it was a no-brainer. I went to the 686. Death in the hand.

Passed up a Ruger with 18 rounds of 9mm, passed up a shotgun with 7 rounds of #1 buck. Went for the 686. Can't tell you why. Just that it is the weapon that makes me feel invincible. If I can't stop you with this bad mamma jamma, I got nuthin' left in the saddle.

But for carry? Oh God no. Way too big and heavy. Find a 9mm with single or double stack and load it up with high-performance JHPs like Corbon DPX and rock and roll. You can do that in a package that weighs less than a pound and conceals such that you won't even know you have it on your person.

If that doesn't work for you, get a .45 in a small package that carries well and run with that. The 686 is a great gun and my love and the best thing I have in my arsenal, no question - but I wouldn't carry it for SD.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I had a thread going regarding revolvers, and one fellow mentioned that he carried a gp100 IWB. I don't know how that compares to a 686, but I imagine it's close. Maybe you could pm him.

It looks like it's post #20 at

New EDC approach - auto vs. revolvers (plural)
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Might have found a cheaper option. Anyone use a Bianchi 5BH?

5BH Thumbsnap Hip Holster Large-Frame Revolvers 6" Barrels Size 7 Right Hand Leather Tan

I carry a older S&W 66 4 inch in a galco Royal Guard IWB in winter and use a sweater to conceal it. In the Summer I us a Ramoa 9c which is for K frame gun and tucked under an over sized golf shirt. I also carry two HKS stead loaders in a Ramora mag holder in my weak side front pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I carried a 2 1/2" 686+ back in the 90's for a while and then switched to a sweet Model 57 N frame .41 mag. Both were carried in Bianchi OWB, (55BN I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    I've got the 686+ 6" barrel and absolutely LOVE the gun. It's so powerful and accurate it isn't even funny. When I had a "bump in the night experience," and had to roll out of bed and grab something, it was a no-brainer. I went to the 686. Death in the hand.

Passed up a Ruger with 18 rounds of 9mm, passed up a shotgun with 7 rounds of #1 buck. Went for the 686. Can't tell you why. Just that it is the weapon that makes me feel invincible. If I can't stop you with this bad mamma jamma, I got nuthin' left in the saddle.

But for carry? Oh God no. Way too big and heavy. Find a 9mm with single or double stack and load it up with high-performance JHPs like Corbon DPX and rock and roll. You can do that in a package that weighs less than a pound and conceals such that you won't even know you have it on your person.

If that doesn't work for you, get a .45 in a small package that carries well and run with that. The 686 is a great gun and my love and the best thing I have in my arsenal, no question - but I wouldn't carry it for SD.
    I've already got a double stack .45 and my dad has a couple 9's I could borrow when/if I want....but I want to be able to carry this one some. Also I have a 617 (same gun in .22) that I would like to be able to carry on the farm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links