Defensive Carry banner

Deep concealment

4K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  Fireball357 
#1 ·
I've looking for some GOOD ideas for deep concealment of a glock26 when im dressed western style . shirt tucked in no jacket .

couple ideas i have had are Belly bands, pagerpal ( which i dont really like ) . if anyone has any ideas let me know. i have a comp tac holster that i can tuck into but the clips show just a little under my belt line. :tumbleweed:

#2 ·
Depending on how "deep" you want it other options would include:
Thunderware (or similar)
The Kangaroo
An "Undershirt" holster (can't think of who makes one at the moment)
Also a tuckable holster that attach to the inside of the belt via velcro could be an option (again, off the top of my head I can't think of the maker) or an ankle holster (dependent on type of footware of course)

#4 ·
Roto thanks....the shirt your thinking about i think is made by 5.11. Im not sure i like those because the trigger guard are not protected....reach in there in a hurry and end up pulling the trigger yourself ( that might hurt a little )

#6 ·
This is one of the situations where i use a no name nylon ankle holster , and tuck the pm into the left boot .

#7 ·
I have a kangaroo style shoulder holster,its a cross between a belly band and a shoulder holster,except its a lot more comfortable.It has a strap that goes over your shoulder and the pistol sits under your left arm where your arm pretty much keeps it hid.I wear mine whenever I want really deep cover.I pretty much wear just western shirts with the snaps on them and leave the top button unsnapped and if I need to get to it,I just grab the shirt between the 2nd and 3rd snap with my left hand,yank and grab gun handle with my right and pull,Its pretty fast for me.I carry a kimber ultra carry or a keltec P11.I wear it this way to church and other places,never been spotted yet. sj

#13 ·
Comment on Kangaroo carry holster

I have seen these advertised on the web and been tempted to buy one, but have not done so yet. They look pretty good and I'm glad to read your favorable commentary on them. I think they would work best with a shirt cut full in the chest and a slim gun like a Walther PPK or Kahr. Here is the website, where the price is $27:

Kangaroo carry holster

#9 ·
Depending on how tight your shirt and jeans are you have some options, but even they are limited.

1 Ankle holster or metal clip[ holster attached to Clock and pushed in the boot. This requires a loose pant leg. Akward to draw

2 Smart Carry or Thunderware - needs loose fit jeans or pleated pants - Needs practice to learn how to draw - medium speed

3 Pocket holster - needs loose fit jeans or pleated pants

4 Kramer undershirt holster - requires loose shirt.

Even when going with deep concealment holsters you still need to dress to hide the sidearm.

#11 ·
How about a nice western vest? I wear a somewhat dressy wool vest most days...my work attire is "business casual" and carry a G19 in OWB holster. Today its cooler here in Texas, and with jeans I'm wearing a flannel lined vest with the same rig. So far no one has screamed "gun" at me.:image005: Have a great Thanksgiving...I'm off to Indiana to visit my daughter, packing all the way!

#12 ·
I'll second SmartCarry. If you are going to use this with a Glock though I would invest in the little trigger block made by Clipdraw. It keeps the Glock trigger from actuating until you insert your finger, which naturally pushes it loose.

I use a J Frame in my Smart Carry or an auto with a safety. The short & light pull on the Glock would worry me.

#14 ·
:haha: Ahhhh.... NO! Definately Thunderwear or Smart Carry! :yup:

#15 ·
Well brother you opened up my cage again....LOL.

I carry deep concealment for work each and every day (ok well not for a short period now due to injury) but when healthy it is always slacks/jeans and a tucked in shirt. When I work I successfully carry a weapon, two mags, knife, expandable baton and cuffs under my shirt and geting "made" would be very ugly.

There is a post on here that we did before with pictures that covered the topic.
http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...?t=4810&page=6 (see # 52)
http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...?t=7233&page=3 (see #29)

My recommendation is that you take a serious look at the UC Comfort T-shirt holsters. There are mainly three that make them for production and it is by far the best of all three and here is why.

Kramer Confidant: It is a nighmare. It is set up for two guns and must be tailored to make it available to carry an extra mag securely. It comes loose and wears out quickly. The best way to wear a t-shirt holster is tight and the Confidant just dosent do that well.

ABetterHolster.com: Nice shirt, great for someone not needing to carry alot of gear but has two small issues. It has sleves and isnt a V neck. When you order it tell them what is your strong side and your off to the races.

5.11 T-shirt holster: Decent fits well but not as easy to draw from. Other than that I'll say its made to 5.11 standards which is high.

UC Comfort: This guy took advice from those who wear them in the field daily. He listens and makes the changes needed. Its totally ambidextrious, and set up to carry a multitude of gear. If you wash it in cold water and hang it out to dry, will last you years. I have several but can use just one and wash it twice a week. Can be ordered in sleveless version as well as in V neck. PROBLEM: If they dont have your size in stock it will take a while to get it.

The one fortunate thing you have is with western clothing, you can get snap shirts, I occasionally wear Wrangler work shifts that have been starched and they look very nicely.

If you would like any other information, just PM me or ask and I will be happy to answer.

#17 ·
'Nuther vote for SmartCarry. I've used'em for a year and a half, 16 hours a day.

Never been made, always been able to draw (with practice).

And if it doesn't work for you, you can get your money back.

#18 ·
I can only add to what Steve has said here about UCComfort. (and add to my miniscule post count here...)

On his advice, I ordered up a UCComfort shirt. I ended up talking to the owner (Al) for quite a while when I called. He was VERY helpful, asked me questions on how I intended on using the shirt (equipment, etc..) and advised me on size. I ended up ordering a size "M" due to his suggestions. (I am about a 42-44 chest, but Al suggested that I go with a "M" due to sizing and required fit.)

I couldn't be more satisfied with the product.

I have worn it for 12+ hours at a time, with a "wife-beater" underneath, a regular "T" underneath, by itself....you name it. It's VERY comfortable and conceals ABSOLUTELY. No need to go Hawaiian in February. It is constructed very well. (I'd compare the material thickness to about 80% of an UnderArmor ColdGear.) The stitching is strong and well done. I do not forsee any blownout seams.

It isn't the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. You'd pay at least that if not double for a good piece of leather, so put it in perspective. Make sure you practice with it though. If you haven't used a crossdraw system before, it's a different feeling. It takes concious effort initially for good muzzle dicipline. That's certainly not the fault of the product though....just ingrained habits.

...and of course, a public thanks to Fed Wif A Sig for all his insight and help.

Jim

#19 ·
My only further suggestion is, that IF you decide to purchase a t-shirt type holster, raise you off gun elbow high as it makes it easier to grasp the weapon. Oh Jim thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you like the holster as much as I do.

(Note I am NOT a paid sponser of UCComfort.com.

#20 · (Edited)
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on here. I'm glad to see that y'all are still giving out excellent FREE advice. Sorry to hear about your injury Steve. As a customer of both holster companies, I wanted to throw in my dos pesos ref: UC Comfort and A Better Holster.com
1) UCC does offer both sleeveless and V-neck models
2) UCC costs $20 more than ABH.com and shipping is significantly more
3) If UCC doesn't have your size in stock you will wait a long time for it (I don't think holster mfg. is the guys full time job)
4) UCC has a retention strap (can be cut off)
5) ABH.com only offer crew necks
6) ABH.com is less expensive, charges only $4.99 for shipping and if you order more than 3 shirts at the same time their shipping is FREE (and you get a cool hat for free, too)
7) ABH.com guarantees to ship to you in 7-10 days (I got mine in 3 days)
8) ABH does not offer a retention strap. However, I put my Glock 23 in it, unloaded of course, and jumped on my kids trampoline and it didn't fall out...though, the neighbors did look at me funny.
9) both UCC and ABH.com sales persons are very knowledgeable
10) And finally, UCC salesperson was a little unfriendly when I spoke with him ref: my magazine falling out while in church the 1st week I had it (when I asked to exchange it for another shirt he wouldn't); ABH.com salesperson, on the other hand, was courteous when I accidentally ordered the incorrect size shirt and exchanged it for me no charge (that's their policy).

So they both have pro's and con's and both do work very well for deep concealment. You can check them out at:
www.abetterholster.com
www.uccomfort.com

Glockmann
I too, am not a paid spokesman for either company.

#21 ·
Very nice review Glockmann. I am sorry that you received bad service as that is not his norm. I'm just glad that folks are finding out that there is another form of carry when in business attire that allows a full size gun, and allows you to pee without dropping your britches (that is a story best told over cold drinks among friends not a public forum).

Stephen

#22 ·
Vest

I have been very pleased with a bison-hide vest I bought at a gun show in Denver recently. The pockets are lined with a rugged material and contain a velcro holster that holds the gun in an appropriate position. They are not cheap, but make a nice dressy cover; also they make the same rig in a blue denim that is considerably less expensive. One plus is that it can be removed in a warm public place without revealing any other gear.

www.coronadoleather.com

#23 ·
One method that has worked well for me in the past when I've had to have my shirt tucked in. Start by simply having your shirt tucked in with a standard IWB holster. At the point where the gun is located pull out the shirt tails so as to cover the pistol's grip. Roll up the shirttail and tuck it back in immediately in front of and behind the gun. Then shrug your shoulders in order to "blouse" the rest of your shirt just above your belt (pull your shirt out a little at the beltline all the way around.) When done correctly your pistol grip disappears into the fold/blousing, yet is readily available if you pull the shirttail up out of the way during the draw.

Works for me. YMMV.

Allan

#24 ·
Hot El Paso

Interesting discussion with lots of info. I'm living El Paso and working in West Texas where it is generally hot, no matter what time of year. I've generally been wearing polo shirts and slacks. I've been looking for various options as I wait on my CHL from the State.

#25 ·
Buck (Sir) welcome to the place. If you can wear your shirt untucked, I would highly recommend another option, and I am the preacher of the t-shirt holster. It is a speciality holster that is perfected over the years for use when business attire is needed and the shirt must be tucked in and coats are not an option (or wearing the full time atleast). I have worn a t-shirt rig under a polo shirt but it is difficult. Its not much cooler here in Dallas and I use long and short sleve button up shirts but if it is acceptable to wear untucked shirts I do for easy of retrieving my weapon.

<<<<will go back to his cage.

#27 ·
Annother western dress option is a conceal carry leather vest. I just ordered one from Coranado Leather, it should be here next week. I'll fill you in. I went all out. I ordered the one made of American Bison with Buffalo Nickle snaps and a watch pocket. I'll second some of the previous comments about the 5.11 tactial Tee shirts they just recently added Vee necks and black to there selections. Magills out of SanDiego also offers a holster Tee made from UnderArmor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.