Convince me that AIWB is a good idea...

This is a discussion on Convince me that AIWB is a good idea... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I tried it today. AIWB. I just took my tiny LCR and stuffed it in my 1 o'clock position. Aside from the obvious flinch ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Convince me that AIWB is a good idea...

Convince me that AIWB is a good idea...

So I tried it today. AIWB. I just took my tiny LCR and stuffed it in my 1 o'clock position. Aside from the obvious flinch I got from the idea of blowing my boys off, I also found it kind of uncomfortable. It's in a spot where I'd feel it when I sit down to drive, eat, watch TV and etc. Bend at the waist and I feel it. It's not at all comfortable compared to how I carry now: IWB 3.30 and pocket. The one advantage I did notice is the extremely quick draw times. The slight disadvantage seems to be a slight sweep toward my left as I pull the gun loose and aim. Pocket and IWB 3.30 are straight sweeps forward.

I'm not a big dude, but I do have a little "overhang". That seems to play a part with discomfort too. Maybe AIWB only works for guys who have a 6 pac? Pudgy and AIWB don't seem to like each other.

So if you're a AIWB kinda person, let me know your thoughts and why you like carrying this way. I'm not convinced yet, but I am intrigued.

2. Remove Ads

...I clip in 2 nylon or leather holsters at 1 and 2 oclock...SP101 closest to the hip...P97 closer to the belt buckle...the SP sits a bit lower and the P97 actually rides partially above it...I crawl, climb, bend, squat all day in my work...I drive...it's comfortable, comforting, and quickly accessible sitting or standing...I've been doing it since the mid-60s...only time I wore an OWB holster was when I had to wear a coat...don't even do that now in winter...it's the best way I've ever carried...I've been to 251 and now around 228...still comfy...I cut my holsters open and re-sew the clip about 1" higher on the holster...that sinks the gun that much lower behind my belt(Wilderness Instructor 1 1/2") and it stays put well , covers with just a pocket T , and I still have a good grip to draw...I got my needles from Tandy leather in the 70s...still using the tent thread I bought then...takes about 40 mins per holster...before I did that, the butt would stick out more...especially with a snub...now, not at all...

I've always felt the same way. People say that the gun shouldn't go into your stomach, it should go up your stomach, but I don't see how that's even possible without 1.) pitching a huge tent with your pants so they go up your belly and 2.) fondling it every time you sit down, which would make it obvious and/or be uncomfortable/awkward/inconvenient and you might not always be able to do that...

I can not tell you if AIWB will work for you, it doesn't for me. I would advise you to keep trying it with an unloaded weapon with no holster in different areas to see if you can find a spot you like. 1:00 is kind of far toward the center line, try 1:30 or 2:00. If you decide you do like it, try to find a holster that pushes the grip of the gun toward your body. Mine works well, but there are many others on the market that also work well. You also want something that stays open with the gun out, for safer re-holstering.

To me the biggest advantage of appendix carry is the level of concealment it offers. You can't beat it for that and you never have to worry about your shirt coming up and catching on the butt of the gun when you bend over. As you noted it is also a very fast draw.

All in all, while AIWB carry will not work for some people, including me, it is a great way to conceal anything from your LCP to a Glock 17. I encourage you to give it a fair shake, you might grow to like it.

DSCN4718c.jpgDSCN4719c.jpgDSCN4634c.jpg
    This system begs to be worn at 12:00 but i found by shifting it to 1:00 and having it sit above the belt line of my shorts, works very well for me. It does not pinch nor rub up against my leg when driving. (3Speed Holster)

Lead Moderator
    Works great for me with smaller guns. Walther PPS is my carry, the holster I use rides with the bottom near the belt line so it doesn't dig when seated. Also unless in bend backwards it stays well concealed under a t shirt .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Standby, I will update this post with some pictures by the end of the day with photos of my AIWB carry rig. I had the same concerns as you but it is by far my favorite method of carrying now. I have a bunch of shtfgear hybrid holsters to conceal bigger guns.

VIP Member
    I tried it for a while on my Delta Point-equipped Glock 17, and absolutely hated every aspect of it. I attended Handgun IV and V recently at Tactical Defense Institute, and out of 22 people, only about five of us were NOT carrying forward of 3:00, so AIWB is certainly the preferred method of that crowd. I, otoh am quite happy with my current set-up, and have no need or desire to work on it further.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Works fine for me.

A good quality 2 ply gun belt and holster is a must.

I carry a Glock 19 or 23 AIWB in either a High Noon Public Secret or Alter Ego holster.

Easy to access and easy to protect.

photo.jpgImage 4.jpg Public Secret
    click image to enlarge....

Image 4.jpgImage 5.jpgImage 6.jpg Alter Ego (tuck able holster)
    click image to enlarge....

High Noon Holsters, Gun Holsters and Concealment Holsters

Regards,

FlaRon
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Distinguished Member
    I do think it is somewhat body shape dependent. I would dare to say that most that find it really comfortable are in the washboard club, I fit that bill as well, really I could stand to gain a few. But I've tried everywhere else around my waist and there is not anywhere else that comes close to working. I have no problem sitting or bending forward, as there is nothing there to get in the way.

I won't try to convince you its for you, because it sounds like its not. We are all different, to each their own. But it definitely has some advantages - speed of draw, ability to draw with off hand, ability to draw from laying on your back, your side or even in the fetal position, easy to protect from someone else grabbing the gun - your body is already a little hardwired to protect that area for guys, lol, easy to conceal, no worry about bending over and exposing the gun, the weight of the gun is central - not additional weight on one side of your hip. If you do have to adjust, it looks like your adjusting you crotch area - lots of guys do that all the time anyways. Sure there are some other things others will add.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member
    I've started to carry AIWB in specific instances - basically when I want to wear a shirt tucked in. I don't have a six pack but I am thin (5'7/150lbs) and have no issues with comfort or it digging into me, but I am carrying a compact and I know there is no way I could carry my duty pistol in the same manner (barrel too long). Currently I'm using a McCabe leather holster for carrying my M&P40c AIWB but am considering ordering a G-Code INCOG with mag carrier.
    Drgnfly likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I've started to carry AIWB in specific instances - basically when I want to wear a shirt tucked in. I don't have a six pack but I am thin (5'7/150lbs) and have no issues with comfort or it digging into me, but I am carrying a compact and I know there is no way I could carry my duty pistol in the same manner (barrel too long). Currently I'm using a McCabe leather holster for carrying my M&P40c AIWB but am considering ordering a G-Code INCOG with mag carrier.
    I'll let you know bud, cause I just ordered an INCOG for my 9c. It should be here in a couple of weeks.

Then we can finally meet up and go to a range :) hahah

VIP Member
    For most people, I do believe successful AIWB is going to be dependent on two main things; holster design and body type. If you don't have both going for you, it'll probably be hit or miss depending on which one isn't working in your favor and by how much. If both are working against you, it's probably not going to be a very successful effort.

I find AWIB very comfortable, and I would say especially when sitting compared to the 4 o'clock position I used to carry in. I have pretty decent posture, so I don't do much slouching, which may be somewhat uncomfortable AIWB. What I do a lot of is sitting in my desk chair slightly reclined, which almost always caused the firearm to press uncomfortably into my back. This doesn't happen with AIWB as it just rides parallel to my body regardless. Driving is pretty much the same, with the additional benefit of being able to get to my pistol, even seat belted, much faster than with my old postion at 4. Bending over is also comfortable; I broke myself of the bending at the waist habit long ago simply because it caused massive printing or full firearm exposure when I carried at 4. Bending at the knees keeps your torso straight, so once again, the AIWB pistol just rides along parallel causing no discomfort for me at all. I guess if the firearm were long enough, it might interfere, but I believe it'd have to be well over full sized pistol size to achieve something like that.

How much 'overhang' you have is probably going to play a big part in comfort because if your gut is constantly pushing the top of the pistol out, then the basic physics of a lever will dictate that it's going to be pushing in somewhere else. This is the exact opposite of what makes AIWB work so well and this is clearly illustrated in the basic design of AIWB holsters. Almost all have some method of keeping the holster pivoting the other way on your waist. That said, I've read of more than one guy who considers themselves 'overweight' and says they love AIWB, so I guess a relatively trim torso isn't the be-all end-all with AIWB.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drgnfly View Post
    I'll let you know bud, cause I just ordered an INCOG for my 9c. It should be here in a couple of weeks.

Then we can finally meet up and go to a range :) hahah

Have the lead times dropped, at one point I think it was 6-8 weeks to get a holster.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

My first question is why would anyone want to convince you? You either like it or you don't.
    Make up your own mind.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links