Outside work carry.

This is a discussion on Outside work carry. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. I work at a lawn service here in south east Texas. I am looking at getting a little .380 to put in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Outside work carry.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    614

    Outside work carry.

    Hello everyone. I work at a lawn service here in south east Texas. I am looking at getting a little .380 to put in a pocket instead of carrying something too big because I need to be able to move and do my job. I was wondering if anyone knows how to keep the gun clean in that kind of environment. Or is there a way; if not what do I do? New to all of this. Thank you for any feedback.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array Okemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    531
    If you're going to go for pocket carry, you just want to keep the junk out of that pocket and remember to blow the lint out of your gun in between cleanings.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

  4. #3
    TRX
    TRX is online now
    Senior Member Array TRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    central Arkansas
    Posts
    696
    That's a good case for a "modern" pistol with a plastic frame/stainless slide, or all stainless. Sweat is really hard on carbon steel guns.

    Some kind of regular cleaning and function check schedule - once a week, or once every two weeks - would be a good idea. Depending on what you're doing, you can collect an astounding amount of slunge in a holster or pocket. I seem to collect mostly metal shavings and sawdust...

  5. #4
    Member Array mgillitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    66
    Regular cleaning, say dusting every few days and disassembly and lube every week or two. For the moving parts i would recommend a lubricant like Rem-Oil as it becomes a dry lubricant with teflon. This kept our weapons functioning in Afghanistan just fine, going through rivers and dusty environments.

  6. #5
    Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SW MN
    Posts
    286
    I pocket carry a Keltec P3AT in a TnT pocket holster all day every day. Around the farm it is easier to carry than something hanging on my belt to catch on everything I walk by.
    I unload and blow the dust/lint out of it once or twice a week and do a full cleaning at least once a month. Make sure to clean the magazine too, it will collect a lot of lint ect.

    In three years, I've had no complaints with it.
    rugergunner likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25,796
    Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    Hello everyone. I work at a lawn service here in south east Texas. I am looking at getting a little .380 to put in a pocket instead of carrying something too big because I need to be able to move and do my job. I was wondering if anyone knows how to keep the gun clean in that kind of environment. Or is there a way; if not what do I do? New to all of this.
    I'm assuming that "new to all of this" means you have no CHL and don't currently carry any firearm in any manner.

    If you're living in an Open Carry state, in which the open/visible carrying of deadly weapons is lawful, then you can carry in that manner. But doing yardwork/landscaping type stuff, that might not be the cleanest approach to carrying a gun and keeping it clean and operable, depending on how grungy your work gets.

    If you have or can acquire a CHL for your state, then you can lawfully carry a deadly weapon concealed, subject to the carry laws and strictures, of course.

    If you work for an employer that has strict policy limitations as to carry by staff while on employer business and/or grounds and/or customers' grounds, then you've got a decision to make as to whether you'd risk carrying anyway despite knowing you'd very probably be terminated for cause if caught doing so (even if such were not unlawful in your state).

    And depending on the laws in your state, you'll want to be certain about the statutes related to carrying such weapons upon private properties, as to whether you're lawfully required to notify ahead of time and get permission to do so, or other such requirements.

    Basically, that'll do it. I'd suggest getting a CHL, carrying concealed either in a pocket holster or IWB holster that you cover up completely with your clothing, but one that allows you to get to that weapon relatively quickly in a dire situation. If not able to do the firearm thing, consider pepper spray, knives or other weapons, assuming those would be lawful and practical in your situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    I pocket carry a Keltec P3AT in a TnT pocket holster all day every day. Around the farm it is easier to carry than something hanging on my belt to catch on everything I walk by.
    I unload and blow the dust/lint out of it once or twice a week and do a full cleaning at least once a month. Make sure to clean the magazine too, it will collect a lot of lint ect.

    In three years, I've had no complaints with it.
    That's about my routine with my P-11.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array searcher 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    4,151
    I also carry a P3AT in a Uncle Mikes #1, with just a small adjustment you can also carry a extra mag in the same holster.

    This makes a good package because it gives you a square look on your pocket like carrying a wallet in your front pant pocket.

    This also give a total of 13 rounds, 6+1+6 in a very small light package.

    This works well for the Ruger LCP also.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'm assuming that "new to all of this" means you have no CHL and don't currently carry any firearm in any manner.

    If you're living in an Open Carry state, in which the open/visible carrying of deadly weapons is lawful, then you can carry in that manner. But doing yardwork/landscaping type stuff, that might not be the cleanest approach to carrying a gun and keeping it clean and operable, depending on how grungy your work gets.

    If you have or can acquire a CHL for your state, then you can lawfully carry a deadly weapon concealed, subject to the carry laws and strictures, of course.

    If you work for an employer that has strict policy limitations as to carry by staff while on employer business and/or grounds and/or customers' grounds, then you've got a decision to make as to whether you'd risk carrying anyway despite knowing you'd very probably be terminated for cause if caught doing so (even if such were not unlawful in your state).

    And depending on the laws in your state, you'll want to be certain about the statutes related to carrying such weapons upon private properties, as to whether you're lawfully required to notify ahead of time and get permission to do so, or other such requirements.

    Basically, that'll do it. I'd suggest getting a CHL, carrying concealed either in a pocket holster or IWB holster that you cover up completely with your clothing, but one that allows you to get to that weapon relatively quickly in a dire situation. If not able to do the firearm thing, consider pepper spray, knives or other weapons, assuming those would be lawful and practical in your situation.
    I'm new to carrying guns. I've been looking at getting my CHL here in Texas for a while. I actually have it scheduled in a couple of weeks. Can't wait.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by mgillitzer View Post
    Regular cleaning, say dusting every few days and disassembly and lube every week or two. For the moving parts i would recommend a lubricant like Rem-Oil as it becomes a dry lubricant with teflon. This kept our weapons functioning in Afghanistan just fine, going through rivers and dusty environments.
    That's pretty much the environment
    I am in. Minus crossing rivers but it is very dusty. I just want my gun to go off when I squeeze the trigger should I have to. We use REM-oil on all our guns at the house.
    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Array manolito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Milford California
    Posts
    1,102
    Right now is Hay season and the dust and small particles of hay are everywhere. I hit my EDC with the air compressor each night and clean once a week on Sunday. I switched to Frog Lube and it seems to aid in the cleaning and doesn't stick as bad as other oils do.

    Good Luck and get that permit.

  13. #12
    Member Array JaySkiBum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    288
    I work in lawn care part time during the summer, and I've messed with carrying trying to figure out what works better.


    Pocket carry is convenient and easy, but I noticed that if the pockets are loose or flare open when seated, all the dust and grass gets into the pockets pretty easily. It basically goes against the idea that it'll stay cleaner in your pocket.

    I carry my XD9 IWB all the time now, because in my experience the gun stays cleaner underneath my t-shirt compared to my DB9 in my pocket. I wear it like I would any other day, and if for some reason I had to draw while sitting on a mower IWB carry makes it much quicker. This is just my experience over the last 2 years.

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Array robhic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    I'm new to carrying guns. I've been looking at getting my CHL here in Texas for a while. I actually have it scheduled in a couple of weeks. Can't wait.
    I might be wrong but pocket carry is CONCEALED so you would have to have a permit to do so in the first place. WHEN you get your permit, it seems constant, routine maintenance is essential. I'd wipe down every day. Gun and mag. Revolver, same thing while removing bullets. Lube frequently (oil evaporates so a light grease is good) and just be vigilant. For a weapon I like the Ruger LCP 380. Small (that should be TINY!), quality pistol that fits the palm of your hand.

    I got one for my 2 grandudes to shoot but ended up like it (bought it used) so I now pay a bit more attention to it. Great little (tiny) gun.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

  15. #14
    Ex Member Array stylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    Hello everyone. I work at a lawn service here in south east Texas. I am looking at getting a little .380 to put in a pocket instead of carrying something too big because I need to be able to move and do my job. I was wondering if anyone knows how to keep the gun clean in that kind of environment. Or is there a way; if not what do I do? New to all of this. Thank you for any feedback.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Well I have to join others in offering a word of caution that, in TX, you should not be carrying anything in any manor until you have your permit. I'm a big fan of Constitution Carry but we have to deal with the way things are.

    That being said, once you have your permit I think you would be very happy with a S&W 642 or another model in that family. It has a light weight frame, a long trigger pull (so you won't fat-finger a negligent discharge) and is very easy to keep clean. It's hammerless design keeps the gun from snagging on your clothes when you draw it. I suggest adding the Crimson Trace green laser sight, not that you will be doing any sharp-shooting with a snubbi, but in a pinch when your fine motor control goes out the window the green dot is easy to see even in broad daylight.

  16. #15
    Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    614
    Just to set the recorded straight I don't carry any firearm on my person. I'm law abiding. In a few weeks I am taking the course. Just wanted to get information before I get into the thick of it and have to figure it out myself.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    stylus and Rattlehead like this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •