AIWB, A review

AIWB, A review

This is a discussion on AIWB, A review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thread is a review of two AIWB holsters that I have acquired and worn long enough to figure out what to say. It is ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hwarang54

Thread: AIWB, A review

AIWB, A review

This thread is a review of two AIWB holsters that I have acquired and worn long enough to figure out what to say. It is still a fairly newb review, as I don't really have much experience in doing extraordinarily detailed reviews about such things as holsters, but here we go. I have yet to figure out which is my favorite, but I lean more towards the CCC Shaggy. All reviews are for a 1994 Sig Sauer P229, without a rail, chambered in .40 caliber. I say this, specifically, for a reason. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will do the best I can to answer them.

First

Cane and Derby PIC

Initial Impressions -An all kydex, clamshell style holster. The holster is well made. It has pretty strong screws to hold everything together and a retention screw that tightens and loosens smoothly for a more customized retention. The belt loops are thin, but seems strong. There are pre-drilled holes in the straps to either widen or tighten the loop size for different size belts.

Retention
    - The retention, as set, was pretty tight. You can turn the holster upside down and shake it and it would not fall out. To that end, it was a fight to holster and draw the gun in the beginning. I loosened the retention screw and it is pretty close to perfect. Still does not let the gun come out unless I want it to, but I can draw much better. When the gun is holstered, you can hear the audible kydex click.

Conceal ability
    - This is where things start getting a little dicey. The PIC uses and attachment that angles the gun just so, therefore you must find it's "happy place." This holster's "happy place" on me is not where I would normally carry a weapon, as it likes to sit at about 1230 - 1 as opposed to 130-2. I can have it where I want it, but the gun will advertise extraordinarily well. This holster also likes to move away from it's happy place every now and again. I have contacted the company about this numerous times, and have not received a response. However, when it works, it really works.

Comfort - As comfortable as having a hard piece of plastic shoved inside of your waistband can be. You will eventually not feel it much, but you are always aware that it is there.

Build quality - It is a well built holster. Everything on it is strong and built to last. The screws do not loosen on their own, and there is very little wiggle room when the gun is holsters. The molding is done so well that the holster produces relatively crisp lines that are rounded and do not dig into you. Edges are smoothed and do not cut into you. The only problem I have with this holster, in this respect, is that it does not have a slide extension. When seated, rear sights and the back of the hammer can dig a bit.

Customer Service - Customer service was great when I got a hold of them. I called numerous times with no answer and sent emails to them. I also used their "contact us" link on their website to no avail. It took me going to facebook, liking their page, and making contact via a public forum (key note here) to get their attention. After that, I was contacted, got all my questions answered (specifically about fitment to the older style P229 in .40, as their website only states a P229 with or without a rail and a 9mm option only). I was assured it would fit and it did, very well.

Wait time
    - I'm not too sure how many people work at this shop, but it still took 12 weeks to get the holster. This turn around time seems fairly average industry wide.

Cost
    - Short and to the point here. If you don't want to spend near 100$ (including shipping) don't bother. However, the value is there. It's worth the price.

Second

Custom Cary Concepts Shaggy AIWB

Initial Impression
    - This holster is another all kydex, clamshell style holster. The build quality is strong, but the mold lines are not quite as crisp as the C & D (I found out that CCC does not have a mold for my gun.) The leather beltloops (an option) are thick and seem as though they will hold for a LONG time. This holster, also, has size adjustments on the beltloops. The hardware seems strong and the retention screw loosens and tightens smoothly.

Retention - The retention on this holster was so tight when I first got it that it actually pushed the slide back. With the retention screw out, the gun would audibly rattle in the holster. After contacting the company, I was instructed on how to adjust the retention via the "hair dryer method," retention sits at perfect, but I can't get that classic kydex click. The holster never had it to begin with, but it works just the same.

Conceal ability - The holster has a built in conceal mechanism. The way the holster is made, it pushes the butt of the gun into you ever so slightly. It isn't uncomfortable. It's a simple mechanism that works. Functional simplicity is something I can appreciate. I can conceal my firearm in this holster in just about anything, except a form fitting shirt, a tank top and no top. The non-crisp molded edges are a factor, as it smooths out the outline of the holster and the gun, making it harder to spot.

Comfort
    - It came with a smooth, thin leather backing (another option) that makes this holster a joy to wear. Honestly, I can OST forget the holster is there, but the gun is heavy so I know it's there. I can do just about anything with this holster on. This holster also has a built in slide guard so the slide doesn't dig in to your stomach at all. The edges not being so crisp also helps in the comfort factor. Not having sharp lines and being an overall smooth mold helps in terms of having the holster dig at all.

Build quality - Another quality build. The kydex is thick and strong. The edging is done well and are smoothed. There is little in terms of hardware to loosen or lose.

Customer Service - I have never had a problem contacting or being contacted by Rich. He is a stellar businessman with the customer in mind. In fact, when asked about fitment, he told me he had had some issues with my particular firearm and sent the holster (options included) without charging me a dime until fitment was verified. When asked about the retention issue, he guided me on how to fix it. He is a joy to work with.

Wait time - I learned recently that CCC is a small shop. They do all of their holsters to order. It took me about 10 weeks to get mine, which seems long. Considering the size of the operation, I feel that my order was shipped rather quickly.

Cost - The cost, with all of my options, ran at 82$. A very reasonable price, and better then the C & D with no options. Still not cheap, but again, there is much value to be had here.

I have the original "Pardus" Cane & Derby AIWB holster, and it is by far my favorite for AIWB. Like the Shaggy (I'm guessing here as I have never actually seen a Shaggy) has a "wedge" designed to gently push the grip in toward your body, and it works very well. I originally had it made for an M&P .45, but I no longer have that pistol. With slight adjustment of the tension screws, it works perfectly for both an FNP-9 and an XD-9. I carry at 10:30 to 11:00 (lefty) and this holster provides a perfect solution for me.

I purchased my C&D back when the company first started. At that time, customer service was phenomenal and I received my holster in about 2 weeks. Since then, I have heard a lot of complaints about their service and communications. I think a lot of these holster companies start out as one or two person operations, often as a secondary employment. When they turn out good work and orders start pouring in, they get overwhelmed and have no idea how to run a business.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

VIP Member
    Good review! You picked two solid choices to go head to head. Maybe the winner could go up against a Dale Fricke for the title :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

It was hard to get a hold of C & D. Like I said, I had to jump through some hoops. The product is solid though.

CCC was easy to get a hold of and also puts out a stellar product.

It will be a while before I can get my hands on the archangel. It isn't cheap. If it comes the that, it will go up against the Shaggy. It narrowly edges out the PIC, mainly the sweat guard(finally learned what that thing was called), price and customer service took it for me.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    TX expat likes this.

I bought a JM Kydex holster a few weeks ago. I really like it. I had looked and the C&D but read several horror stories about their customer service.

It's not really as bad as it sounds. Like their Facebook page and take all your grievances out there. Once I did that, I got a response in less than 15 minutes. The guy who eventually emailed me turned out to be the president of the company (Ian Goodman). Seems like a great guy with great character and great customer service skills. Problem is, he is only one guy.

Great review. I love AIWB. Would be interested if you ever did get to do the comparison to the Archangel.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

I like the Statureman AIWB Statureman Custom Holsters: -Statureman AIWB Holster(Order Here) Quality holster at a reasonable price. Caleb is great to work with and offers a 30 day money back no questions asked guarantee. Delivers in two weeks or less.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I have never heard of that maker. I will definitely look into it though.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Another great AIWB holster is Crossbreed. They make one specifically for AIWB. But, I prefer a modified CBST "deluxe".

A Crossbreed is well worth the money and the wait. But, you can save $$ and get one in a couple of weeks by buying from their Crossbreed Seconds List.

IMHO- A hybrid holster is a LOT more comfortable!

-

Sponsored Links