Pocket holster comes out with the gun

This is a discussion on Pocket holster comes out with the gun within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, this is probably not a problem that has not already been written about, but I cannot find the thread if it exists. So here ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pocket holster comes out with the gun

Pocket holster comes out with the gun

Okay, this is probably not a problem that has not already been written about, but I cannot find the thread if it exists. So here goes:

All of my current pocket holsters come out of the pocket along with the gun when I draw?? Anyone have experienced this also and have a solution? Maybe a bit of Velcro on the back of the holster, etc?? Maybe better luck with a certain brand of pocket holster?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Grandpa

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Can be a problem. The only kind of pocket holster that definitely will not cause your problem are the ones that incorporate a solid leather or kydex (depending on material of holster) horn or finger extending above the edge of the holster (I forgot what they call it). Your thumb sits on the top of this "horn" as you pull out your firearm--the thumb pressing on the horn keeps the holster in your pocket as you pull out the gun. FIST makes a kydex with the "horn" and many leather mfgrs do the same.

Yes. Ever see a movie where the character eases his sword out of the sheath a bit before drawing it? Same principle.

I have one by R.L. Grahm. It is one great holster, but one thing I like best about it is that it has a place for your index finger to shove against the holster, loosening the pistol before drawing it.

I use a Blackhawk pocket holster (size #4) with my S&W 442, and I don't think I could get the holster to come out while drawing the gun if my life depended on it. I have to put my hand around the holster and the gun to remove it.

What kind of holster(s) are you using?

What kind of gun are you using?

What kind of pants are you wearing?

I ask because it almost sounds like your holsters are too small for your gun.
    GhostMaker likes this.

DESANTIS Super Fly Pocket Holster.
    jbum and GhostMaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NickBurkhardt View Post
    DESANTIS Super Fly Pocket Holster.
    ^^^ GREAT suggestion. ^^^

I used one for almost 2 years with a Kimber Solo, and the Super Fly almost "sticks" to the inside of your pocket.

check out rkbaholsters.com
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'm using a Desantis Nemesis with an LCP and haven't had any problems with the holster coming out when I draw.

+1 on the DeSantis! They have a "sticky" outside material that sticks to the inside of your pocket. There are several other brands that have the sticky material as well. FWIW, this seems to be more a common problem with small revolvers than autos IME. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

After several decades all I now use are Mika Pocket holsters. Google him. The only and I mean only, pocket holster that stays in my pants with all 5 of my pocket guns. Never came out once and there are no gimmicks, hooks, push off tabs or anything else other than just grab the gun by the grip in a full combat grip and withdraw the gun. Not the prettiest pocket holster and not made to impress your friends. It just works and for only $30 you get a handmade holster made for your gun. No one size fits many. I even had one made by submitting a tracing of my gun to Robert Mika and it came out perfectly. Google Mika pocket holsters and you will be hard pressed to find negative posts. He does not advertise much because he is a one man shop, ex LEO, and does not want to subcontract work out. He has a very loyal following of LEO and civilians and most of his business is through word of mouth.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by insman1132 View Post
    All of my current pocket holsters come out of the pocket along with the gun when I draw??
    Have pocket carried extensively. Have tried numerous different pocket holster designs. Sometimes, the holster itself sucked in a given pocket size/shape in a given pant, where all other pocket holsters seemed to work fine. Sometimes, I found a given pocket size/shape sucked, on a given pant, and redoing the pocket do a suitable one cured the problem. Invariably, working on my draw technique improved repeatability. But then, I strongly dress around modes of carry, incorporating the need to carry well into my buying decisions. Not all people do this, in all purchases.

Generally speaking, I would say these things are truisms regarding pocket-carried firearms:

• The pants pocket really needs to be of an appropriate size and shape to both (a) keep the firearm upright to support a clean draw, and (b) keep the holster in the pocket if drawing. Not all pants pocket shapes/sizes support these two elements well. And some pants/pockets are just so darned baggy as compared to the size/shape of the holstered pistol, that practically nothing but sheer dumb luck is going to reliably keep the holster in the pocket when drawn.

• The holster should be of a design that specifically takes into account the draw. Typically, this is one with a lip/shape along the top/forward edge that means the holster tends to hook itself into the top of the pocket opening when the firearm is drawn. Some have thumb-pressure "levers" of sorts, to allow the hand itself to dislodge the holster from the pistol prior to a draw (Fist makes one like this, for example).

• One should practice drawing and reholstering sufficiently frequently so that the draw technique strongly supports retention of the holster in all situations.

• A holster can have "sticky" material along its outside surfaces to aid in retention, but decent draw technique and pocket size/shape still applies.

Perhaps one or more of these elements is something you can address. Depending on how near to success a given holster+pocket+pants+technique is, it might well be that only one or two changes is needed.
    AOK likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Rammer, do you have personal experience with the RKB holsters? I ask as I am in need of a couple of pocket holsters (it looks like Grahm is out of business), and like the looks of the ones you recommended. I just want to double check before I order two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    check out rkbaholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Rammer, do you have personal experience with the RKB holsters? I ask as I am in need of a couple of pocket holsters (it looks like Grahm is out of business), and like the looks of the ones you recommended. I just want to double check before I order two of them.
    Yup, I've got 4. 1 for my LCR, 1 for my LC9 and 2 for my LCP (one is standard and the other is the kangaroo style for an extra mag). Stephen does good work and they are not overpriced and custom made for each gun. So no one size fits many.

RKBA holsters were my first beyond nylon Blackhawk ones. I looked into other holster makers but really didn't know much about holsters as I do now. I lucked out and picked a good holster maker and have stuck with him for my pocket carry needs.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Here is what I have for my KelTec P-3AT...

Pocket Holster w/Thumb Push

The Thumb Push is the secret...your holster cannot come out of the pocket.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I really appreciate your reply. From what I have seen of them, they look like what Im looking for. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Yup, I've got 4. 1 for my LCR, 1 for my LC9 and 2 for my LCP (one is standard and the other is the kangaroo style for an extra mag). Stephen does good work and they are not overpriced and custom made for each gun. So no one size fits many.

RKBA holsters were my first beyond nylon Blackhawk ones. I looked into other holster makers but really didn't know much about holsters as I do now. I lucked out and picked a good holster maker and have stuck with him for my pocket carry needs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links