Which High Noon Holster for AIWB?

This is a discussion on Which High Noon Holster for AIWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gun - Kahr PM9 Holster - High Noon Mr.Softy or High Noon Upper Cut The Upper cut rides higher than the Mr.Softy. If you have ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TX expat
  • 1 Post By TX expat

Thread: Which High Noon Holster for AIWB?

Gun - Kahr PM9

Holster - High Noon Mr.Softy or High Noon Upper Cut

The Upper cut rides higher than the Mr.Softy.

If you have either (or both) which one would be better for AIWB carry?

OR

Do I find a AIWB that has a belt loop that swivels?

I am NOT looking to spend a lot of money on a carry style I don't know will work for me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
    Gun - Kahr PM9

OR

I am NOT looking to spend a lot of money on a carry style I don't know will work for me.
    That's sort of a double edged sword if you're buying a holster not made for that specific carry style. It may work for you with a holster not designed to carry AIWB, or it may not. AIWB is about the most holster dependent position you can attempt to carry in, so if it doesn't work with a cheap holster that only proves it doesn't work with a cheap holster not designed for AIWB.

On the belt swivel thing, I would think that you wouldn't want it to swivel. The more stable it stays in a cant free position, the better, IMO.
    dben002 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    For what it's worth....I found this to be the best AIWB carry rig for the following reasons....

1. Comfort - spreads the weight of the gun over a larger area.
    2. High ride setting - (adjustable to where you want the handle lower to the belt or higher above the belt for a full shooting grip on extraction.
    '3. Concealment - very easy to conceal in this rig with or without shirt tucked.

aiwb1.jpgaiwb2.jpg

Have tried others but never found one that works this well......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I have the Mr. Softy... It is a good "deep concealment" holster, but access to your gun is significantly impeded by having it ride that low on the beltline.

With that said, I am still happy that I purchased it. I can conceal my Glock 19 in the Mr. Softy wearing just a t-shirt and shorts.

When carrying AIWB with "higher riding" holsters like my Cane and Derby P.I.C. the butt of the G19 tends to print at certain angles.

I think of the 2 you mention, The "Upper Cut" would be the better choice because it is high riding. Low riding has the holster too far down and sitting can be a problem with all that holster down yo pants! I have a "Bare Asset" from High Noon. It's not especially designed for AIWB but I think (check with them) it can work. It is a higher riding model.

OR ........ you could try a Galco Sto-N-Go holster which (IIRC) approved for AIWB. And Optical Planet is a sponsor here offering the Galco holsters for about $25 with a reinforced mouth. Got one each for my Taurus 357 revolver and for my Glock G19 and G26. All 3 are great holsters!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Cool

I use a High Noon Public Secret for AIWB with a Glock 23 worn at 2 o'clock and have for the past five years.

Zero cant and minimal leather with combat grip, slide guard, sight track, tension screw and one hand re-holstering.

photo.jpgImage 4.jpgImage 3.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

Gun - Kahr PM9

OR

Easily the best holsters for the money on the market. Highly recommended. I use a Mr. Softy and carry a Sig P228 appendix IWB. I would recommend it over the Upper Cut for this use (I own both.) For a PM9, the Softy would be a great concealment AIWB choice.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaRon View Post
    I use a High Noon Public Secret for AIWB with a Glock 23 worn at 2 o'clock and have for the past five years.

Zero cant and minimal leather with combat grip, slide guard, sight track, tension screw and one hand re-holstering.

photo.jpgImage 4.jpgImage 3.jpg
    click image to enlarge....
    Ron,
    How do you sit down (car, chair,etc) with the gun at 2 O'clock? I'm sitting here in a chair typing and trying to figure out what you do with any more than around 2" below the beltline. That gun (probably any gun) would dig right into my thigh.

Could you expound a bit?

As for the rest of the replies, I thank you and will look into all mentioned.

I did try to carry AIWB today in a custom made minimal leather holster with a steel clip that has around a 15* cant (dont have a zero cant). WAY too uncomfortable when sitting. It is possible the cant screws it up and it is also possible that the fact that the leather is about 1/2" longer than the PM9's muzzle made it dig in, but I'm not sure.

Forgot to mention in the original post that I have very minimal "excess" skin around the middle, so that is not a factor. I'm a pretty fit 5'8"/185lb/34" waist middle aged guy.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Ron,
    How do you sit down (car, chair,etc) with the gun at 2 O'clock? I'm sitting here in a chair typing and trying to figure out what you do with any more than around 2" below the beltline. That gun (probably any gun) would dig right into my thigh.

Could you expound a bit?

I did try to carry AIWB today in a custom made minimal leather holster with a steel clip that has around a 15* cant (dont have a zero cant). WAY too uncomfortable when sitting. It is possible the cant screws it up and it is also possible that the fact that the leather is about 1/2" longer than the PM9's muzzle made it dig in, but I'm not sure.

Forgot to mention in the original post that I have very minimal "excess" skin around the middle, so that is not a factor. I'm a pretty fit 5'8"/185lb/34" waist middle aged guy.
    Let me try to answer this with pic's.....here I am sitting my fingers are showing the end of the gun barrel. second pic is a outside view of where the gun is resting....at 1 to 1:30 it rest in the V between your leg and groin..it does not, repeat does not press into your leg or your thigh.

0000sitting.jpg0000sitting1.jpg
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    Ron,

Could you expound a bit?

I have no issues sitting and I wear holsters made for the Glock 19, even though I normally carry the shorter 26. I find that the extra length actually helps keep the holster in the best position and help keeps it from wanting to flip forward since a good bit of the weight of an automatic (especially a short one) is located above the belt line; too little holster is probably going to cause some problems as well. Granted, I wouldn't want to carry a 7.5" Blackhawk that way, but for a barrel around the 4" mark, I don't have any trouble with the holster digging into anything.
    dben002 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Let me try to answer this with pic's.....he I am sitting my fingers are showing the end of the gun barrel. second pic is a outside view of where the gun is resting....at 1 to 1:30 it rest in the V between your leg and groin..it does not, repeat does not press into your leg or your thigh.

0000sitting.jpg0000sitting1.jpg
    That's a good illustration. I carry even a little closer to center.
    NRA Life Member

I think it matters more with longer barreled pistols having to use a higher riding holster for AIWB, the Kahr is short enough where either holster will work, you just have to choose better concealment vs. better grip.

How big is your gut, how do you sit, how high do you wear your pants, etc are the questions you'll need to answer to pick either of those two, very nice budget holsters by High Noon.

Love my Down Under, it's a high ride but for posterior flank IWB carry.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

jh225,

dben002 and TXexpat explained it quite well.

BritishAgent comments are "spot on".

Ron
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

dben002 is right, the length of the gun does not really create a problem sitting (well maybe an 8" Buntline Colt would be a problem). As I type this, I am carrying a Springfield XD Service (4") at 11:00. No discomfort at all!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Links