A Question For Our Leather Artists

This is a discussion on A Question For Our Leather Artists within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a gun belt a little over a year ago. It is still in fine shape except the end (where the holes for buckle ...

Thread: A Question For Our Leather Artists

VIP Member

A Question For Our Leather Artists

I bought a gun belt a little over a year ago. It is still in fine shape except the end (where the holes for buckle is at) is twisting now. Is there anyway I can reshape to straighten this out. It is made of double thickness cowhide or maybe bullhide. It also has a slick liner on the inside. It is still too nice to disregard but I find myself rolling it back from sitting up. Any help I would surely apreciate.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Actually what happened to yours is typical of most better gun belts.
    It takes the shape in the leather from going through the buckle when worn in one or two holes consistantly for a long time.

Personally....Id just say thats what they do...but not being faced with the question before I dont have an answer for you..Im curious to here from the other makers also.

Good luck and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Hmm I have an old bianchi belt from 15 yrs ago or more , its still fine. While i am not a leather smith I do deal with saddles ect.. and it can be straightoned , but honestly ( if i am reading your post right and its a cosmetic issue ) I would say that i would make it a work , or range belt , and get another belt for my day to day useage . If you want to straighten it , oil it heavily , and press it between heavy objects , I have brought sturip leathers back with this using 150lb tractor weights and quality leather oil.

Edited to add:

The way i do it does " contour " it a bit , the side of the curl that sticks out will be the long side , and it will slightly curve away from that . but it will lay flat .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

A belt will normally take on a shape to contour to your waist. If you're talking about a longitudial twist, that occurs when your abdomen pushes out on the top of the belt or on something that creates leverage to push out like a speedloader carrier. If you're talking about the buckle kink as Eric refers to, that's also the nature of the beast. I would recommend against oiling the belt.

VIP Member
    I was speaking what Matt was talking about. As I thought but was not hopeing, I'll have to replace instead of repair. Thanks guy, you're a great group of people.

Links