treating a new leather gun belt

This is a discussion on treating a new leather gun belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be receiving my first gun belt tomorrow ( from Mike Bissel at armourbelts.com, opinions to come ) and I was wondering if anyone ...

Thread: treating a new leather gun belt

treating a new leather gun belt

I will be receiving my first gun belt tomorrow ( from Mike Bissel at armourbelts.com, opinions to come ) and I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on treating a new leather gun belt with mink oil, saddle soap or the like. I don't really know the in's and out's just yet. I usually mink oil my leather goods and let it sit for a few hours to help water proof the surfaces, but that's about it. I've heard people using vaseline, saddle soap, etc.. to make the leather a bit softer and more pliable. Is this advised on a gun belt? I realize it's largely a matter of opinion, but I don't have much to go off of here. Thanks in advance for the opinions.

2. Remove Ads

I stand to be corrected but I believe that keeping a gun belt stiff is important.
    That said,don't do anything.Boots may need oil to keep them water-resistant but if your belt gets soaked,you have bigger problems.
    Another thing I remember from Beltman's instructions is not to roll it up tightly since it also softens the leather.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Don't treat it with anything, it's not necessary. The thought that all leather goods need to be treated with something else while new is just plain incorrect, if it was needed it would be done before it ships. Most leather "care" products are designed to make leather more soft and supple, which is good for say a baseball mitt but bad for nearly all gun accessories and actually boots according to most guys. You shouldn't have to do anything in the near future, down the road it won't hurt it to wax it using some proper carnuba(sp?) wax or just some Kiwi neutral shoe polish neither should really effect the stiffness and they will add a little moisture and oil without going overboard. Leather will soak oil like a sponge but you don't want it oiled that much, your not trying to make it soft and supple, doing so will negate any real gains for a proper gunbelt because you will loose that vertical rigidity that your paying for.

Take care!

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

thanks for the help. I felt like it would be odd to soften a belt that is supposed to be stiff, and didnt want to mess one up out of the gate. much appreciated.

First, congrats on picking the best gun belt maker out there today. Jerry and now Mike Bissell have created a way of making gun belts that really does put the others to shame. Once you have one, you'll never buy from anyone else again.

"Treat" your belt? The best advice is to put nothing on it at all. It doesn't need it. Doing so is just introducing a problem for no reason.

It depends on how you carry, what you carry, and your body shape. I carry a government size 1911 in a heavy leather holster plus a magazine carrier on my belt. If I don't treat my belts, the leather squeaks when I move making concealed carry a noisy situation. I treat my heavy wide belts with mink oil or other leather conditioning to soften them. It takes the squeak out and actually pulls the gear in closer for better concealment and more comfort for my body style. If you carry a lot of gear like a cop or carry inside the waist band, the heavy stiff belt makes more sense.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Administrator
    If you must do something to it you can put a light coat of Renaissance Wax on it.
    It will not ever soften the leather and it helps to keep the natural oils that are already in the leather IN the leather.
    It also helps to protect the stitching from abrasion wear.
    I always apply a light coat of it to all of my gun leather goods.
    I would not use anything else.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Like others said you shouldn't need to put anything on it for awhile. When it is time to treat it, I like Lexol which can be found in horse tack stores. Enjoy your new leather!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

What about to keep it from squeaking?

If you must put something on it, I recommend a very light coat of Aussie's Conditioner. A little goes a long way. Put it on the belt only when it looses its surface luster. Leather will soften over time no matter what. It's just the nature of the skin. The best way to store your new belt is to hang it on a hanger in your closet.

There is a fine line, in my opinion, of the stiffness of a belt. If its too stiff, you won't wear it. I've had many people complain to me about this. Just because a belt is stiff means absolutely nothing if you're not gonna wear it. Enjoy your new gun belt, Jerry is such a nice guy and he used to make great belts. I'm sure Mike is following directly in his footsteps.
    www.ZachsGunBelts.com
    Custom - Handcrafted - Made in the USA

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I don't have a belt from Mike, but I have two from his uncle Jerry who trained him, good man and excellent craftsman. Do nothing to the belt except wear it, they are perfect as they come.

I would suggest some Acrylic Resolene after a time. It will help keep it water proof and not affect the stiffness. Particularly helpful for those who might sweat enough to soak their belt at times. It can be applied with a damp sponge. It's flexible and won't crack.

Tandy Leather Factory - Fiebing's Acrylic Resolene 4 oz
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Plus 1 for Boomer928. We treat our belts with Resolene before burnishing, and seal them again with Leather Sheen. Either of these products will help to repel moisture without softening the leather.

If you find the liner is attracting moisture, I recommend a light coat of leather balm occasionally, or neutral (uncolored) shoe wax. Don't over treat with anything designed to soften leather. Your belt will soften enough through normal use.

No need to do anything to a good gun belt except for wearing it.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Get a great big NASCAR buckle on it with your favorite drivers car number in giant fonts!
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Links