Lined or unlined holster?

This is a discussion on Lined or unlined holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at getting a leather OWB holster and am wondering if I should get a lined holster or not? I see some makers ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rednichols
  • 1 Post By ttsail

Thread: Lined or unlined holster?

Lined or unlined holster?

I am looking at getting a leather OWB holster and am wondering if I should get a lined holster or not? I see some makers offer a cowhide lining while others offer a suede lining. I am only wondering about a lining on an all leather holster not a kydex holster. So I was hoping for some insight and advice from you long timers who have experience with a lined holster. Is it worth it? What are the true advantages? Any other info to help me decide will be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I used to build holsters, and I lined them. Not necessary. In my opinion, it just adds bulk, or you can compensate by using lighter leather for the outer layer. So I quit doing it. I really don't think it saves the finish on your gun any more than a properly built unlined holster. Protecting the finish of the gun seems to be the main reason folks want a lined holster.

The gun's finish is gonna wear, kydex, leather, lined or unlined. Supposedly kydex wears on the finish faster than leather. I do not care for kydex, so I cannot say. Friction is friction, and I do not believe lining a leather holster will make a noticeable difference.

I got out of the leather game quite awhile ago. Milt Sparks holsters are what I use now. They are not lined (although they do offer one or two models that are), and even after a couple years of use, I haven't seen any appreciable wear.

Distinguished Member
    With leather, unlined is just fine.

I do like a lined kydex holster though, because unlike leather, kydex can gouge and scrape a finish, especially spray-n-bake type finisheds.

Without disagreeing with anything that's been posted to this thread so far, it's worth knowing that there ARE differences that you may, or may not, feel are worthwhile.

An unlined holster is made, generally, of vegetable-tanned cowhide with the grain (hair) side of the leather as the outside of the holster, leaving the flesh side of the leather next to your pistol. This flesh side can be quite smooth if it is pasted or otherwise smoothed by the tanner/finisher. It can be quite rough, too, when dry split and left untreated.

Wet moulding, either by press or by hand, can further smooth the leather and eliminate high spots rubbing on your pistol; even (or perhaps especially) on an unlined holster. A lined holster, though, is only rarely as deeply moulded as an unlined holster can be.

I suppose lined holsters are really meant to create the ideal leather: one with a grain on both sides. If that's the case, then suede-lined holsters are a "fail"; and that leather is usually just the leather that was split from the main leather in the first place!

One could argue that certain lining leathers create a soft surface, as well as a smooth surface, against your pistol. I doubt a plastic-framed Glock, for example, would care one way or the other. But that Gold Cup; well, that's another story.

At the high end of the boutique makers, they'll all be using the very best, premium, full-grain cowhides with smooth finishes inside.

A properly molded holster, smooth side out cause its OWB, is going to have a grippy draw since the rough side is against the gun. Lining in that regard would be for a slicker draw, as well as to protect the finish.

You should also ask what type of pistol's finish are you trying to protect? Most folks who are not only worried about their finish, but whom also have a right to do so, are worried about the beautiful but easily abraided bluing process of yesteryear.

Now everything is melonite processed, so worrying about the redundant finish above the teniferr coat is a bit silly.

Happy hunting! The leather holster world can be quite a mess of information for beginners.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Never worried about scratching something that is a tool.. But that's just me.

I'm new to this forum but I love this quote "Never worried about scratching something that is a tool."

If its too beautiful to be marred by a holster... well .... That said, my new scandium S&W 1911sc finish just slid away after a few wears and break in draws with a Bianchi leather holster. Had heard the finish wore too easily, but my attitude is oh well. My outlook when I buy anything is it better be tough enough because it won't look new when I own it for long.

Smile

Another thing to think about, some of the linings out there may feel soft, but are tanned with chemicals that can be corrosive to the guns finish.

I prefer this lined D.M. Bullard Combat holster with sweat shield. It is very easy on the gun's finish and the retention is very positive.

I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Listen to Tim. I have several of his holsters. Top notch.

The man knows his skins.

Tim who?
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Listen to Tim. I have several of his holsters. Top notch.

The man knows his skins.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Lining <highnoon holster`s take on lining, i also recommend that you read their FAQ, lots of good info there. http://www.highnoonholster.com/_Ques...questions.html

i would of went with the lining if i had gotten the regular cow hide but the shark skin holster i got already has a very smooth inside due to it`s rough side out construction, the rough side is glued to the shark skin exterior with the smooth side of the cow hide facing the gun.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Have both cant tell the difference

Links