Defensive Carry banner

Recommendations for a black thigh holster under $100 for an new active duty Navy Cop

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  StormRhydr 
#1 ·
My grandson who is new Master at Arms Sailor is asking about a quality black thigh holster for a M9. It appears that his unit recommended he obtain one for on duty wear. As a new sailor his funds is limited so he set a ceiling price of $100.
Any suggestions would be appreciated .

#2 · (Edited)
I've had an Ace Case thigh Holster since I was in the Navy in the early '90s. Thigh Holsters - Ace Case Manufacturing

$24, and I can say that although its beat up, and the elastic bands aren't that stretchy anymore it served me very well, and it still serves me when I choose this rig (usually if I'm going to be carrying more than one full frame pistol).

It would certainly be my pleasure to purchase one for you son. if he doesn't like it he can get something else, but I'm pretty sure it's just what he's looking for. PM me his name, MASR? MASN? and FPO address and I'll have it sent directly to him. The Mfg is right here in St. Louis, and when I tell them who it's for they probably won't charge me either! :merrychristmas:

#16 ·
Thanks for the coolest post I've seen on DC in a while!!

#5 ·
The issue holsters are crap. Well, not crap, but just the same flap holsters your grand daddy got. They work fine, but the thigh tac holster is ideal, and the side arm feels snug and doesn't move around when you have to run. Everyone gets them, and Ace Case makes a great one for cheap, so you see a lot of them.

#12 ·
I can remember running with USMC Issued leather, model 1916 Holster, wire hangered from the issued pistol belt, in the 1960's and it like to beat me to death.:aargh4:

SO when we went on runs I would carry a 10 lb rifle instead of a 2 1/2 lb pistol it was easier to carry. :danceban:

#11 ·
They get over/misused all the time. The main reason for them is to clear body armor that may ride low on the sides and block or slow drawing from a standard belt mounted holster. The key is dropping the pistol just low enough to get clear of the armor and get a good draw. Many end up wearing the drop leg holsters around their knee area just flopping around. That's when you run into sloppy draws, hitting it on stuff, etc.

When wearing a thigh holster properly, the top strap can get in the way sometimes because it gets positioned to high up in the crotch. Many uses actually remove the top strap and only use the lower one to secure it to the leg. Another good option is getting a "low ride" duty holster from Safariland. They have an adapter that drops the pistol from the belt line a couple of inches. It is possible to purchase a strap separately and actually run a leg strap through the low ride holster to secure it from flapping.

OP- Whatever you end up getting, I'd suggest it come from Safariland. May cost you a little more than 100 bucks but will last a long time and most of their holsters come with retention features built in. I would avoid most all cheap generic "nylon" thigh holsters at all costs.

Also, make sure your grandson knows the proper way to wear a drop leg. You would be surprised, many military folks are the worst offenders when it comes to "tactical knee holsters" because nobody teaches them how to wear em. :smile:

#8 ·
I think it is faster on the draw, but that's not why it's good. I hate that stupid flap, and much prefer a snap you can flick off with your thumb. The M-9 looks kewl for the tourists when standing guard, but it isn't as good a design as newer holsters. A thigh really doesn't stick out any more than the flap holster, and is just as likely or unlikely to get caught on something.

Word to Beans to pass on: tell him to position the snap directly over the back of the holstered sidearm, because if it's off to the side it can rub the frame and make him a persona non grata to the Gunner's Mates who issue him the sidearm.

The real benefit of it is for when you run with the pistol holstered. It's supported by the thigh straps as much as from the belt, so it's not tugging down on your trousers with every step. Everything stays in place (including a spare magazine) and feels supported rather than flapping around like an M-9 tends to do. An M-9 sits too high on a duty belt (very high) to have a tie down like a low slung western rig, and it's probably "destruction of government property" to try and add one, though I'm sure it's been tried/done.

If you're going to be running and moving with the pistol holstered, and a night stick in your hand (like Shore Patrol do often) I think it is the most comfortable rig that there is. How many times have you seen someone running with one hand holding their pistol in the holster. You never would feel like you needed to do that with a thigh rig. It keeps everything tight and right.

#13 ·
$200 / $25?

Yes, the Safari Land is better. Good point about the body armor, but the type we used at the time did not have a blouse that interfered with a regular holster. Ours was more a police style with trauma plates that did not have any side protection. I used that Ace Case nylon holster on a newly enlistee's budget just fine, and twenty years later mine still does the job, and they're still making the exact same one. I could afford the Safari Land but would not pay that much when I can get one for 1/8 the price that is incredibly comfortable and fully functional.

I would think it would feel very wrong riding that low in the same way it feels very right riding at the high middle part of your thigh...

#14 · (Edited)
I guess it comes down to this.....is it simply a "gun holder" or something he may actually have to use in a gunfight? Will he train hard with it or just use it to slap his pistol in and call it a day? Generic nylon holsters are apparently good enough at keeping guns from falling on the floor or Uncle Mikes and the like would be out of business by now.

Your grandson will get faster and more consistent draws from a Safariland but of course, with quality price goes up. I'm sure an Ace Case or whatever will hold his gun on his leg just fine if that's all he needs. I've used generic nylon and I've used Safariland. By generic I mean holster who sizes them by stating the "barrel or frame size" model X, Y, or Z will accommodate. Safarilands are molded to fit each firearm by name and come with retention features built in as previously mentioned. Nylon doesn't hold a candle to Safariland...that is why nylon holsters are so cheap. If it's a piece of equipment that could be used during life and death struggle, why go for the cheapest one you can find?

I guess it depends on the user. Serious/professional shooters use certain products for a reason. Safariland is one of the top. I've never heard of Ace Case until this thread and I'm assuming there aren't too many professionals advocating their use....probably for a reason.

#17 ·
#20 ·
Safariland's are great, but I'm going to offer up the Blackhawk Serpa with the Quick Disconnect system. With the QD system, you can transition from paddle, to thigh rig, to the attachment that fits on the flak with the PALS straps, or whatever they're calling the loops this week. That's what I ran with my last deployment, and the versatility was well worth it. Throw it on my chest when I was driving, thigh on patrols, and hip for running around the base, all for the cost of a single holster and a few QD's. Again, a hair more than $100 but worth it IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.