Double or two single mag holders? And what brand?

This is a discussion on Double or two single mag holders? And what brand? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone. I'm taking a Tactical Pistol class next month and I need to get a mag holder/pouch. I'm trying to decide whether to get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Double or two single mag holders? And what brand?

Hey everyone. I'm taking a Tactical Pistol class next month and I need to get a mag holder/pouch. I'm trying to decide whether to get a two single mag holder or a double mag holder. What would you recommend and what brands do you like? Thanks, I appreciate your feedback.
    www.ZachsGunBelts.com
    Custom - Handcrafted - Made in the USA

I personally like single mag pouches. I have them from Galco, Bladetech, and Grahm. All are excellent.

I like using 3 singles from Blackhawk when shooting IDPA. For EDC I just use 1 single. The singles are good because they allow for multiple configurations.

untitled2.JPG
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

I use Raven Concealment stuff a lot. I've got a double mag holder that I use sometimes but I often feel that 2 single mags would be more versatile. You can move 2 singles around to get better placement on your belt while the double is where it is. I've got a single mag carrier of theirs mated to a surefire flashlight holster that I use for EDC. It would be nice to have a couple a singles around so I could add or detract from my mag load by just sliding an extra single on my belt as I deemed necessary.

If I were to do it again I'd buy a couple more singles but the double isn't horrible. It just isn't as versatile.
    Phaedrus likes this.

I think I'm go ahead and get two singles. Seems to be the consensus among the forums. More versatile. Now its time to decide what brand to get.
    www.ZachsGunBelts.com

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    I like using 3 singles from Blackhawk when shooting IDPA. For EDC I just use 1 single. The singles are good because they allow for multiple configurations.

untitled2.JPG
    Those look pretty cool. One thing I have to think about is the length of my Glock 26 mags. With these Blackhawk holders, do you have any problems with extraction?
    www.ZachsGunBelts.com

For my Kahr PM9: Mitch Rosen leather double mag holder - excellent fit & finish & retention ($50.00)

Glock 26: Blackhawk leather Double mag holder - excellent quality leather & adjustable retention screws ($39.99)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

untitled2.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonCross View Post
    Those look pretty cool. One thing I have to think about is the length of my Glock 26 mags. With these Blackhawk holders, do you have any problems with extraction?
    Any reload magazine for a G26 should at least be a G19 magazine IMO. Just as easy to conceal as the G26 mag.

Kytex Shooting Gear mag pouches work very well. Very minimal. Glock 17/22/31 Mag Carrier | KYTEX Shooting Gear
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

With the G26 mags....possibly, they would basically sit flush which could make them hard to pull. I always use G23 mags for my backup, so I don't know for sure. I'll put one of my G27 mags in one and post a pic for you after work.

With the G26 mags....possibly, they would basically sit flush which could make them hard to pull. I always use G23 mags for my backup, so I don't know for sure. I'll put one of my G27 mags in one and post a pic for you after work.
    Fantastic. That would be great. Thanks!
    www.ZachsGunBelts.com

The Blackhawk ($39.99 on Amazon):
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373919341.815891.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Fantastic. That would be great. Thanks!
    Here it is. There is a loaded G27 mag in the holder, with a G23 and G22 mag next to it for a reference showing how much those will stick out too. After doing this study, I would say your G26 mag would be hard to pull from this mag holder....or any mag holder for that matter.

IMAG0195-1.jpg

I have both single and double mag pouches for my Glocks...all my doubles are Fobus and extremely comfortable.Fobus Holster: Magazine Pouches
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use two singles. One on the left and one on the right side. If they teach one handed reloading that will be a plus as you can put gun under your arm pit facing to the rear, release mag and grab the mag with functioning hand to reload it. There are several ways to rack the slide if you shot it dry. There are many processes like this that are taught in some of the advanced Gun Fighting courses. I have singles from Blackhawk.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

i have and use both double and single pouches - usually kydex versions from Blade Tech and Comp Tac.

if i had to pick just one type, i would go with singles. they are handier to place on my belt, and not so fussy about where your pants belt loops are. two singles usually cost more than one double pouch, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links