Old Faithful Holster Review

This is a discussion on Old Faithful Holster Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I reviewed my new belt, I figured I'd get opinionated on my (only) holster too, an old faithful IWB holster, made from the kit. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Old Faithful Holster Review

Since I reviewed my new belt, I figured I'd get opinionated on my (only) holster too, an old faithful IWB holster, made from the kit.

The old faithful holster comes as a kit for around 40 bucks, or pre-assembled for about 75. I chose the kit, and it's not hard to build. The kit includes your leather, which already has a "combat cut" shape, the kydex, which is .93 in thickness, t-nuts, and 4 different sets of screws and washers of different lengths.

The first thing I pulled out was the kydex. It is indeed very thick, but very well molded. It was the spitting image of my XDM. The edges we all smoothed well and the holes were cleanly drilled out. No scratches on the kydex.

The leather came next. I chose the black and the color is uniform. All the edges showed black and were smoothed out well. I wiped the back of the leather down with a little bit of mink oil, and a small amount of dye came off on the rag I had used to wipe it dry. It did not affect the color and it was very little dye. I would have prefered the logo on the front be stamped instead of the red logo they use now, but really, who's gonna see it but me?

The hardware was what you'd expect. The washers are cut from a thick rubber hose. Mine were cut only slightly crooked. It did not matter when the holster was assembled.
    The clips are very strong and I like them a lot. They are 1.5" clips.

Assembly was a breeze and it didn't really take much instruction. The t-nuts come with 2 pieces of leather, with a hole drilled in them to make t-nut hammering more sensible. line the holes up, set in a t-nut, whack it twice and you're set. Kydex and clips went where you think they'd go. The kit comes with 4 sets of screws and washers to make sure that you can adjust the retention of your holster as it gets broken in.

The holster feels great. I tried it out with my new belt and loaded the xdm with 180gr fmj. While I am aware of the weight of the gun (i think i'd have a hard time forgetting a full sized pistol is there) the holster itself felt awesome. The leather was nearly unnoticeable. I rode with it in the car and in dealing up and down with my kids with no problems. It hides the xdm pretty darn well, and I had it at 3 o'clock.

In short, I highly recommend the old faithful holster kit. It's cheap, very comfortable and hides my pistol well. I'm not sure what else I could ask from an IWB holster.
    Brad426 and skatalite like this.

Good review. I have an Old Faithful for each of my guns now... big fan.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Old Faithful for my Sig P250 "compact". If your familiar with this model you know that "compact" is a bit of a stretch but the Old Faithful makes edc very easy. Worn at 3'oclock you will never know I'm carrying. Love the Old Faithful.

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    I like mine, after I figured out it feels best at 9:00 (I'm a lefty). Have bought some kydex and foam and have made a molding of each of my guns. I can swap the kydex out pretty quickly when I carry different guns.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Ordered my third Old Faithful IWB about an hour ago for an M&P 45c.
    I was going to try a CrossBreed and went to a local GS that stocks them but all they had were for M&P compacts. The 9 and 40 are the same size but the 45c is slightly larger and longer and I didnt like the way the gun fit so I went to their website to order one specifically for the 45c. I was surprised that they say all the compacts fit the same holster.
    But Old Faithful has one specifically for the 45c......sold!
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

I've been carrying my S&W full-sized semi-auto 9mm in an Old Faithful for about 9 months now. Love it now as much as the first day I put it on. I carry every day, all day, and use this holster 95% of the time. I'm looking at buying another EDC semi-auto in the near future and you can bet my next purchase will be an Old Faithful holster to carry it.
    If guns kill people does that mean that pencils misspell words??

Great review! I ordered one a couple weeks ago and can't wait for it to show up to try with my P95. How long did it take for yours to arrive?
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    Ordered my third Old Faithful IWB about an hour ago for an M&P 45c.
    I was going to try a CrossBreed and went to a local GS that stocks them but all they had were for M&P compacts. The 9 and 40 are the same size but the 45c is slightly larger and longer and I didnt like the way the gun fit so I went to their website to order one specifically for the 45c. I was surprised that they say all the compacts fit the same holster.
    But Old Faithful has one specifically for the 45c......sold!
    Gotta tell you that I'm pretty sure you get the very same piece of Kydex for any of the M&P compacts... I can't tell the difference between the one for my 45c and 9c and both pistols fit perfectly into either holster.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sorry, the holster took 4 weeks exactly to arrive. on the m&p 45c vs 9c, i thought the 45c was just a hair wider, but I could be mistaken.
    DJC7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Gotta tell you that I'm pretty sure you get the very same piece of Kydex for any of the M&P compacts... I can't tell the difference between the one for my 45c and 9c and both pistols fit perfectly into either holster.
    You maybe right and that would be disappointing because Crossbreed says one compact fits all but it didn't since the 45c has a longer slide and IMO needed the leather to come farther down.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Love my Old Faithful IWB. My Smith 380 Bodyguard fits perfectly and I can hardly tell it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Old Faithful for my Sig P250 "compact". If your familiar with this model you know that "compact" is a bit of a stretch but the Old Faithful makes edc very easy. Worn at 3'oclock you will never know I'm carrying. Love the Old Faithful.
    Sig P250 Represent!

I have the sub-compact iteration with the OF AIWB and agree with the OP on all points. Mine sits at 1 o'clock and I mounted the clips to ride at a strong side cant.

I agree. My old faithful holster has been great. I added a swatch of drawer liner ( you know, the rubber matting that comes in craftsman toolboxes) to the back. It helped the holster grab onto my undershirt. This drastically reduced the belt tightness required to make the sig stop rubbing when walking long distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

i am looking at one of these DIY kits for my 6906. however i was thinking maybe to modify it to be a single clip like the crossbreed appendix. they are very similar in shape and could be easily done by removing part of the leather. i dunno. we'll see
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

I've got 2, and laugh at the people that pay twice the price, and wait twice as long for holsters with half the satisfaction guarantee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links