Ideas Needed for Carry Options

This is a discussion on Ideas Needed for Carry Options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to CC - that said have a commander size 1911 that I love,- I'm a small man 5'6 and have a short ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ideas Needed for Carry Options

Ideas Needed for Carry Options

I am new to CC - that said have a commander size 1911 that I love,- I'm a small man 5'6 and have a short torso to boot - even with my commander size my IWB is not a very concealed carry ! I also have a small 380 which literally could fit in my pocket and I do have a cheap suede pocket holster. The 380 is a Beretta model 1934 mfg in 1937, but she shoots well. Thoughts on carry options (my IWB is a Bianchi leather holster).

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    choose the one you are most comfortable carrying. sounds like you already made up your mind that the 1911 is too big, so if you are comfortable carrying, and comfortable shooting, your .380 it is a perfectly good gun for CC. if you feel that you want something more i would try out different guns at your LGS and see what feels best to you and what you will be comfortable with. if you're not comfortable carryign it, you probably wont carry it. again, .380 is perfectly fine for CC and i plan to get one soon too.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Personal preference.

You have two options...

1. you dress around the gun of your choice.

2. you buy a gun/holster that works with your apparel choices.

Caliber isn't relevant until you can consistently achieve effective shot placement.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I personal would not carry the 1934 B.

It is a very good gun but it has historical value.

If you are not going to carry the 1911, you might do research and shop for a carry firearm that meets your needs.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

OD*
    Please, keep it on the man's question, he's not asking about polymer pistols.
    (off topic posts deleted)
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I have found that iwb carry is very dependant on a good holster and good belt. my pistol is 27oz unloaded but holds 16rds of .40. I think the end weight is fairly similar. I couldnt hide a thing without a proper belt. you didnt mention yours, so you may already have one. before the new belt, I was badly printing in any position, even unloaded. now I position at 3 oclock, and it hides very well, even for being fullsized. I am also new to ccw, and it took me a few days of playing with positions to find a comfortable spot. I am 5'10 and 195lbs so take from that what you will. if you are only concerned with your current gear and weapon choices, id go with what you can carry everyday and shoot well. if you need your pistol, its better to have a smaller caliber concealed than a larger caliber at home.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    How do/would you carry the 1911? I'm average height/build and carry mine at the 4:00 position and it conceals really well, especially in loose-fitting shirts.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

A quality belt and a quality holster will solve any issues you might have.

I am about your size and also have a short torso, and can carry anything from a Glock 17 with a spare mag and a Leatherman to my current Glock 36 with a spare mag and Leatherman. Quality holsters and belts make a HUGE difference.

I have a Beltman Belt, my Brommeland Belt "shrank" on me when I gained a pound or two (I loved it though), but I carry OWB with Brommeland Def-Cons. I conceal fine using that equipment.

Your 1911 shouldn't be any problem.
    OD* and 5lima30ret like this.

Thanks for the thoughts. I have a very good belt from Lobo gun leather and my holster is a Bianchi leather. I really want to carry the 1911, and don't want to use my 75 year old beretta 380. I don't like polymer guns so I will dress around my 1911 which suits me very well in the 4.25 barrel. The truth is I don't have the classic broad shoulders and narrow waist. Having love handles and my girlish figure (LOL) rules out the 3-4 oclock positions -

now I'm wondering if any shorter folks with a short torso find that the IWB holster rides the gun high such that it's almost uncomfortable to grip at the 4 oclock position. My Bianchi is adjustable angle so I can tilt in any direction. Do IWB's always ride high for a strong side carry?

have you considered carrying around 2oclock? youd likely need a different holster but a lot of people consider aiwb a perfectly good and accessable way to carry

Thanks floggindave, that is indeed where I'm carrying now. I am on crutches for a while and have carried cross draw at 10 and now strong side 2. This works for me because I don't have a belly (more lovehandles) and the butt fits under my ribcage. It works sitting down with the high ride. The holster has a snap enclosure for the belt and it can rotate angles via an adjustment screw. I will just have to get used to wearing a larger shirt.

I have also developed a line of thinking that it won't bother me to much if someone who knew what they were looking at could observe the bulge, others would be no wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    you might do research and shop for a carry firearm that meets your needs.
    Actually have done substantial research including buying an inexpensive polymer, for me anything less than the full size grip is awkward to shoot accurately, but if we are talking 12-15 feet I guess accuracy doesn't matter that much; my decision after research is the commander size 1911.

...I would carry the Commander size 1911 over the .380, no matter how difficult to conceal...I have concealed a S7W 645, a large .45, under a light shirt at 3 o'clock with a radical cant forward IWB quite well...

...I would consider AIWB in a holster that covers the trigger well and if it were cocked-and-locked...I'd be most comfortable with leather under the hammer...

No matter what you are or how do you look!
    Just make up your mind and then go for it. It is your own choice that what do you want to have with you.
    Get it as your mind suggest you.

.I would consider AIWB in a holster that covers the trigger well and if it were cocked-and-locked...I'd be most comfortable with leather under the hammer
    absolutely, have thumb break holster and leather strap under the hammer at all times

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links