Safariland ALS (auotmatic locking system) holster or non-locking?

This is a discussion on Safariland ALS (auotmatic locking system) holster or non-locking? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good evening DC members. So, after some research I decided to get a Safariland holster for my upcoming tactical class. They're not very expensive and ...

Thread: Safariland ALS (auotmatic locking system) holster or non-locking?

Safariland ALS (auotmatic locking system) holster or non-locking?

Good evening DC members. So, after some research I decided to get a Safariland holster for my upcoming tactical class. They're not very expensive and they look like they could take some abuse (rolling on the ground etc). With that being said, I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the ALS (automatic locking holster 6377/6388) or just the straight up holster that already has natural locking retention (5197/5198). Does anyone out there currently use these? PROS/CONS? Thanks a lot!
    www.ZachsGunBelts.com
    Custom - Handcrafted - Made in the USA

2. Remove Ads

I have a tac thigh rig by safariland. I love it, but for the level 3 retention hood on it.

Everyone else may do fine with them, but I honestly think it could get me killed. There is NOTHING wrong with the holster. Its great, and youd better bet that it could take abuse. But, even knowing its there, and in place, when practicing, I tend to forget that its there. Im no noob. And it still scares me. My natural inclination is to simply "Draw the pistol". And thats what I find myself trying to do, while focusing on the target, not the holster.

Come crunch time, that wouldnt work out so well for me.

Distinguished Member
    I have a 6378, which is an ALS model, and I like it a lot.

The releasing motion is very natural for me.

One question I have is: do you intend to use it beyond the class? Is active retention required for the class?

If you answered "no" to either of these, maybe just go for a passive retention model, since ALS does require an extra step (pushing the lever) to draw. If you don't need it, then why bother?

But if you do have your heart set on an active retention holster, I have nothing but good things to say about the Safariland ALS models.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post

One question I have is: do you intend to use it beyond the class? Is active retention required for the class?

If you answered "no" to either of these, maybe just go for a passive retention model, since ALS does require an extra step (pushing the lever) to draw. If you don't need it, then why bother?
    Great question. I only intend to use it for training purposes. The only reason I was considering the ALS was in case we'd be rolling on ground, crawling, etc. for that extra retention. But I'm thinking that the passive retention on the 5198 model might be enough. Cool thing about a BladeTech Revolution is that you can adjust the retention. mmmm
    www.ZachsGunBelts.com
    Custom - Handcrafted - Made in the USA

Links