OWB holster cant angle

This is a discussion on OWB holster cant angle within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. So, I'm about to order a OWB Kydex holster and need to know the desired cant angle. I don't have much experience with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: OWB holster cant angle

OWB holster cant angle

Hello everyone. So, I'm about to order a OWB Kydex holster and need to know the desired cant angle. I don't have much experience with the OWB set-up (hence the training). This holster is for training purposes only and will not be used for concealment. I plan on wearing it at 3:00. Should I just get the standard 90 degrees or do the 15 degrees? What's the best way to determine this? Thanks a lot.
    www.ZachsGunBelts.com
    Custom - Handcrafted - Made in the USA

2. Remove Ads

Depends on your body's curves and shape at the spot you prefer to carry, really.

For me, given the sidearms and my body's requirements, it turns out 20-22 works best. Though, carried in a different spot along my waist, a different cant would likely work better.

Sorry, but it's a pretty vague problem, and you won't know until you know, until you try it there. Acquiring an adjustable-cant holster might be useful for you, at this point, if you're not completely certain what degree of cant works best for you. There are some on the market, ones that allow separate adjustment of both the forward part of the holster's "pouch" and the rearward part. The couple that I've seen have been leather backing panels with kydex "pouches," and with rails/clips that can be adjusted for height/cant. Tucker Gunleather's "The Answer" IWB is one example.

OWB, however? Haven't seen any of this style, though some might be out there.

There are a few OWB holsters that have multiple slots for the belt. Pick one, and you get a certain ride height and cant; pick the other, and it sits lower and more tilted. Can't recall the brands/names, so hopefully someone will come along who knows of holsters of this sort.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Have you carried at all, before this? If so, how have you carried? If you have carried IWB, have you had a cant to your holster? If so, then I would go with the same as what I am already used to. I carry IWB with a fairly severe cant because it conceals better. Most people seem to prefer tha 15 degree cant for OWB because it, too, helps to conceal better, and presents the butt of the pistol a little better. I have always used a straight drop on my Western holsters, but then they are worn down around the hip joint and the vertical draw is fairly comfortable. Your comfort is the most important part. It all depends on whether you prefer a vertical draw, or a somewhat forward draw.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Prior discussion: OWB Holster with an Adjustable Cant .

Internet search for: <OWB holster "adjustable cant">.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Straight drop is better. Draws easier. More forward cant, the more unnatural the draw. If you are not using the holster for concealment, straight is best. Adding cant angle to the holster does assist in concealment.
    Best regards,
    Jeff
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^good advise ....check out the adjustables........
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I have a 18 deg cant on mine and carry at 3 oclock.

From Del Fatti Leather:

Del Fatti Leather - Rake and Belt measurements

Rake or cant is highly personal!

It depends on the length of your arms relative to your torso, your shoulder mobility and many other factors. You should not simply take a "one-size-fits-all" or "this is unequivocally best" answer.

Welcome to the forum. Play around with it and find what's comfortable for you. I've got a pretty good forward cant on my holster, but I carry about 4:30 so at that position, the butt of the pistol falls readily to hand..or whatever.

It works for me. Find what works for you.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    From Del Fatti Leather:

Del Fatti Leather - Rake and Belt measurements

Rake or cant is highly personal!

It depends on the length of your arms relative to your torso, your shoulder mobility and many other factors. You should not simply take a "one-size-fits-all" or "this is unequivocally best" answer.
    "The length of your arms relative to your torso...with shoulder mobility factored into the equation?"

Is there like an online course that will make me a professional so that I can teach other folks how to pick the right holster?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Administrator
    Instead of buying a holster for training at 3:00 - why don't you think about an OWB for carry in that "sweet spot" behind the hip and then you can train for the location where you will carry?

For behind the hip carry a forward cant that moves the gun butt up for better concealment is best...in my humble opinion.

I don't think that it is super wise to train drawing from one body location and then carrying for daily self-defense in a different location.

Ideally you want to ingrain that self defense location for a quick and fluid draw when danger is imminent and time onto target/threat is extremely critical.

If you intend to "train" at 3:00 then you should carry at 3:00 which usually does not lend itself to ideal concealment unless you are wearing a vest type cover garment or sports coat.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

From personal experience and your mileage will vary.

About the only time I use a straight drop holster is at the range and IDPA matches. In a sitting, stooping / crouching position or driving, it's difficult to get a good grip and draw.

Many folks prefer a 15-22 degree cant holster for SD because. If you come under attack, your natural instinct is not to stand straight up but crouch forward / bend forward, and a forward cant makes it much easier, as in driving / sitting, to make a good draw.

In addition as a general rule, the more cant of a holster, the easier it is to conceal.

But what do I know? The wife has never listened to me so why should you
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I like between 10 and 15 myself, but up to 20 is fine. Much more than 20 and it starts getting hard to get a clean draw.

No one can tell you the "perfect" cant angle because it is different for every person. I carry OWB at 9:00 (3:00 for you righties), and I much prefer straight drop. It is much more comfortable to draw from, and I have no problem with concealment.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I prefer a 15-20 degree cant on all of my IWB/OWB holsters that I wear from 3:00-5:00...usually around 4:30ish.
    IMHO, anything beyond 3:00 and going back would be a pretty uncomfortable draw, and concealment is much better with the forward cant as it tucks the gun into one's side.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links