IWB holster

IWB holster

This is a discussion on IWB holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone wear their iwb holster between their belt any pants instead of inside of their pants? I tried this with a tee shirt under ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: IWB holster

IWB holster

Does anyone wear their iwb holster between their belt any pants instead of inside of their pants? I tried this with a tee shirt under it and it feels very comfortable that way. It still conceals well.

Nix
    Would seem to defeat the purpose of IWB, namely that the lower half of the pistol is concealed inside the pants. I think some IWB holsters are designed to have the pants/shorts hold the weapon close to the body. But hey, if it works for you, why not go OWB?
    ironmike86, FlaRon and TN_Mike like this.

I should have said that I would also have a shirt over it also. The belt draws it in tight as the owb isn't as tight to the body. I haven't wore it out like this, just trying different positions etc at the house. Trying to find what works best for me. Pocket is deffinately best for the 380 but still playing with the xds.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I have an old Galco of such a design, made for a 1911. A little scrap of leather it is. Covers the trigger stops just in front of the trigger gaurd. With the barrel exposed one needs a long enough cover garment. Works well enough just hard to conceal. Seems like Bullman Leather or Mitch Rosen offers a line like you decribe.

I think that while it may be comfortable it entirely defeats the purpose of IWB

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    FlaRon and Smarshe like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

That's kind of like pocket carrying with your pockets inside out.
    pgrass101 and Taurahe like this.

Owb you can still cover it with a shirt. It just outside of your pants. Way more comfortable and just as easy to hide as Iwb. My Xds sleeps here

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Would seem to defeat the purpose of IWB, namely that the lower half of the pistol is concealed inside the pants. I think some IWB holsters are designed to have the pants/shorts hold the weapon close to the body. But hey, if it works for you, why not go OWB?
    It's a version of OWB basically, I've seen a couple people advertise holsters this way, outside the waist band but inside the belt. Whatever works works.

Holsters are designed to do more than just hold a gun and keep it from falling. IMO, just get a holster dedicated to how you will be carrying. IWB holsters tend to be larger, and don't have to be as stiff. OWB holsters are usually a touch smaller, require no extra hardware, and are generally stiffer. There are a few exceptions, but generally speaking if a holster is designed to do 2 things it may do both acceptably but it will do neither very well. Design it to do one thing, and it can be made to do that job fantastically. And I'm a part time leather hack and kydex bender, so I've tinkered with dual purpose holsters and come to the above conclusion. I had a customer request one recently and building it just confirmed what I already thought and what I told him in advance. Dual purpose holsters are a compromise.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    Does anyone wear their iwb holster between their belt any pants instead of inside of their pants? I tried this with a tee shirt under it and it feels very comfortable that way. It still conceals well.
    I can't see any benefit to wearing the holster this way. The fact that the rig is inside the pants adds to the stability and conceal-ability of the entire rig. Wearing it the way you describe seems to defeat the purpose entirely.
    FlaRon and ccw9mm like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Ok guys you are right. I am now wearing a tee shirt under it and all seems good. I guess it was th kidex against the skin that bothered me. Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated.

What kind of IWB holster do you have?
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

I just purchased an infidel by comp tac. Seems like a really good holster and secures the gun very well but just not that comfortable next to the skin. I tried it once at 1:00, ok standing but not sitting. Tried it at 5:00 which I believe is what it was designed for and this was better when sitting but not great when standing. Although I haven't tried it yet but around the house with a tee shirt under it at 5:00 it seems to be working. I'll know this weekend. I can't wear at work so the little p238 in a pocket recluse awaits in the truck. That is very comfortable but not a 45.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I do this when I'm carrying a clip on form fit holster for the LCR, and I never wear any pants (if I can help it).

FWIW.

(the tight belt acts as a retention strap).
    Smarshe likes this.

I just purchased an infidel by comp tac. Seems like a really good holster and secures the gun very well but just not that comfortable next to the skin. I tried it once at 1:00, ok standing but not sitting. Tried it at 5:00 which I believe is what it was designed for and this was better when sitting but not great when standing. Although I haven't tried it yet but around the house with a tee shirt under it at 5:00 it seems to be working. I'll know this weekend. I can't wear at work so the little p238 in a pocket recluse awaits in the truck. That is very comfortable but not a 45.
    Sounds like it still needs to be broke in. There is a certain break in period for these type holsters give it a couple weeks of daily use and it should become more comfortable. Helps to wear an undershirt in the meantime.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links