Do we size up on pants for IWB ?

This is a discussion on Do we size up on pants for IWB ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've only had one IWB holster so far and it isn't that comfortable with waistbands that were not what I'd call loose. On looser waistbands ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Do we size up on pants for IWB ?

I've only had one IWB holster so far and it isn't that comfortable with waistbands that were not what I'd call loose. On looser waistbands I felt I needed to snug up the belt so the holster didn't feel like it was drooping.

What do most of you do? Thanks

I buy one size too big. I wear a size 31 waist and I buy 32's.

I have never upped size for IWB carry. I've carried Glocks, 1911s, Kahrs and a Shield.
    sparkykb likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

VIP Member
    Buy pants with a little room in the waist that I can wear with or without carrying IWB. Like TelumPices, I can wear a 31 or 32 so I buy 32.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I don't upsize. I carry Glocks IWB in kydex holsters and haven't had the need.

For comfort you're probably going to want to up a size or two depending on what you're carrying and how tight you normally wear pants without carrying in the first place. I would also recommend that you invest in a good "gun belt." That is, usually of thicker construction made specifically for carrying a gun. A good gun belt will make a world of difference.
    IndianaSig likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    For comfort you're probably going to want to up a size or two depending on what you're carrying and how tight you normally wear pants without carrying in the first place. I would also recommend that you invest in a good "gun belt." That is, usually of thicker construction made specifically for carrying a gun. A good gun belt will make a world of difference.
    ^^^ This ^^^

& use this as an opportunity to go on a diet, so you won't have to upsize your clothes.

Seriously, a good gun belt will go a long way toward handling the sagging belt issue.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    This. Buy pants that are 1 size too big (if you are a 32, buy a 34) and invest in a good gun belt. There is no such thing as buying such a belt at a retail store. You'll need to buy it from one of the gun belt makers on the Net. My recommendation: Armour Belts

I use my IWB carry becoming tight as motivation to keep up my exercise routine Unfortunately it does seem to be a reoccurring dilemma.

Stay safe,

Keyth

P.S. I wear the same size pants irrespective of carry method.
    Maine CCP
    New Hampshire CCL
    Massachusetts CCL
    Wisconsin CCL

Depends on the clothing brand and your holster/EDC. I went and bought size up pants when I first started CC and for some shorts/pants it was helpful. However, for others it was a waste of money and my regular sized pants/shorts felt just better.

My suggestion: definitely try them on at the store with your EDC...or keep your receipts to return/exchange after you get home and find you didn't need to go a size up.

Course, if you are going to EDC anything bigger than a 1911 (desert eagle, S&W .500, etc.) then I'd automatically go up at least one pants size!

Since starting to carry, I have always purchased pants with a +1 size, a suitable cut to the pants to allow the range of movement that IWB demands above and beyond just walking/sitting, and generally with a suitably stretchy material (ie, 1-2% spandex along with the wool/cotton/poly blend) to allow for no binding. Has worked fairly well, for me.

Though, the downside if a stretchier material and a somewhat looser waistband is the need for a more-solid belt. But it affords the extra room and range of motion I've found that IWB required. Pros/cons.

Example: Haggar Cool 18 slacks -- polyester/stretch blend material; a mildly-roomier (not relaxed) cut around hips/thighs; and a stretch waistband. There are various type of wool/stretch blend fabrics out there, as well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

These will give you some extra room and still fit properly when you aren't carrying IWB.

Amazon.com: Haggar Men's Work To Weekend Hidden Expandable Waist No Iron Twill Plain Front Pant: Clothing
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I just go a size up

...I don't size up...and I carry a full-sized (and clunky) .45 and an SP101 and a mag in pouch all AIWB comfortably...it's a matter of how loose or how tight a body likes their britches...

Quote Originally Posted by chiltech500 View Post
    I've only had one IWB holster so far and it isn't that comfortable with waistbands that were not what I'd call loose. On looser waistbands I felt I needed to snug up the belt so the holster didn't feel like it was drooping.

What do most of you do? Thanks
    Depending on the pants I'm wearing, brands/materials/styles differ. Wear what's comfortable.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links