Carrying while in your vehicle

This is a discussion on Carrying while in your vehicle within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys! As previously mentioned, a strong side draw is "do-able" with practice. For long car trips, I often carry an additional firearm in a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrying while in your vehicle

Hi guys!

As previously mentioned, a strong side draw is "do-able" with practice. For long car trips, I often carry an additional firearm in a shoulder rig as well (something of the same caliber as my primary that uses the same magazines is a big plus).

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have, on occasion, just tucked the pistol under my thigh. If I were to get into a serious accident, I may lose the pistol, but...won't I have a bigger fish to fry at that point?

ret
    I used to tuck the pistol under my thigh. Then it occurred to me that if I got pulled over and was asked to exit my vehicle, my pistol would no longer be concealed. This sets me up for a revocation or worse...
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Wouldn't your shirt or whatever it is that you conceal your gun outside of the vehicle probably be in the way of reaching your gun quickly? Or can you open carry in a vehicle (in FL specifically)?
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

This is a problem I haven't yet solved to my satisfaction for my own circumstances.

1. I find that I can reach my primary weapon (right-hand side) without too much difficulty provided I am not wearing a heavy coat. The coat complicates matters, as it tends to get bunched up more in the seat belt buckle area when I try to pull it up (I do not unbuckle first). Because of this, I sometimes will lift the coat up and get it out of the way before I start driving.

2. I think that even for left-handed shooters, it would be a good idea to have a firearm accessible to the right hand. From that side you will have more flexibility in where you can place your shots, i.e., you can shoot pretty effectively to either side, whereas shooting to your left with your left hand would place you in an awkward position. Of course the best bet is to have something accessible to both hands, but I think the right hand has more value in this situation.

3. Ken Null makes a holster geared (no pun intended) towards this problem, but it ain't cheap and I don't think solves all the problems.

http://www.klnullholsters.com/NewHolsters/vam.htm

4. In the event of an accident, not only do you not want the firearm to get launched (as another poster indicated), but depending on its positioning it may also exacerbate whatever injuries you sustain.

5. I have considered ankle and crossdraw carry but neither of them is ideal either (again, speaking for myself alone). I may not be able to use the pedals while reaching for an ankle-carried pistol; I may not be wearing pants that are long enough to cover the ankle (a concern when I exit); and the crossdraw position leaves the gun accessible only to a single hand unless you don't mind doing a "cavalry draw," which brings its own dangers.

6. One other mode I have considered is a cheap-ish holster (such as Uncle Mike's) Velcroed onto the front of the driver's seat (between the legs) along with a holster worn empty on the belt in either the crossdraw or appendix position, into which I would insert the firearm when exiting the vehicle. I am not too happy with this either because if I needed to exit the vehicle in a hurry I may inadvertently or unavoidably leave the gun behind.

Clearly the ideal situation would be to be able to quickly, easily, and reliably access your usual belt-worn firearm(s). If you find yourself unable to do that... well, I guess that is how we end up in this discussion.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Wouldn't your shirt or whatever it is that you conceal your gun outside of the vehicle probably be in the way of reaching your gun quickly? Or can you open carry in a vehicle (in FL specifically)?
    I use the Garrity C&D Crossdraw when driving and I pull my shirt up far enough to tuck the bottom behind the holster. Then the excess jus naturally falls down over the pistol. It is just covering it, but when I reach for the pistol it just shoves out ot the way. It works for me.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I've got a paddle holster that fits on my driver's seat in my vehicle, between the seat cushion and the seat frame. It holds snug in there, and I've angled it to place my gun right where I can easily grab it. I can easily pop the holster out & hide it under the seat, so prying eye don't see an empty holster and get ideas about breaking in to find the gun., when the vehicle is unoccupied. Works me and put that paddle holster I was not using to good use. Before leaving my. vehicle, gun goes back to my carry holster. No need to snap another holster on or off my belt.

"2. I think that even for left-handed shooters, it would be a good idea to have a firearm accessible to the right hand. From that side you will have more flexibility in where you can place your shots, i.e., you can shoot pretty effectively to either side, whereas shooting to your left with your left hand would place you in an awkward position. Of course the best bet is to have something accessible to both hands, but I think the right hand has more value in this situation."

I've thought about this, as a Lefty. I commute in a Passat, which really constricts cross-draw motion, and a threat will likely come from the drivers side. So I'm planning to practice more with my weak hand and get a X-D for the other side.

VIP Member
    I have been experimenting with this too.
    I've tried a Fobus paddle holster I wear strong side (right handed) and don't have any problem with easy access/fast draw and a t-shirt can cover it easily. Then when I go to leave my vehicle I can easily put on my Galco USA-IWB if I need to use iwb and tuck the shirt in.
    I also have a Fobus belt holster with the roto-holster attachment. It allows me to set it to cross-draw in the car and it works well also. But I like the paddle for easy on/off.
    I too can just use my usual IWB setup but the paddle is alot more comfortable for long hauls.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I Believe...

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    I used to tuck the pistol under my thigh. Then it occurred to me that if I got pulled over and was asked to exit my vehicle, my pistol would no longer be concealed. This sets me up for a revocation or worse...
    that in FL...I can just have it on the seat and covered...I'm OK then.
    If stopped, I just lay it next to me and cover it, or tell the officer that I am legally armed and it is under my thigh...I don't believe that is a problem in FL.

Q. When is a Handgun "Concealed?"

A. The Florida Legislature defines a concealed firearm as any firearm “carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal it from the ordinary sight of another person.” A person carrying a concealed firearm without a license is guilty of a felony of the third degree. The penalty for this offense is a prison term of up to five years.

Actually, I can put it between the seats and lay my hat over it...covered.

Isn't Florida great?

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links