Garrett ST Fusion Kydex "J" Clips

This is a discussion on Garrett ST Fusion Kydex "J" Clips within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my Garrett Silent Thunder Fusion holster. First off I've got to say the service from Garrett Industries was great. Only 17 days ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By contented
  • 1 Post By zeke4351

Thread: Garrett ST Fusion Kydex "J" Clips

I just got my Garrett Silent Thunder Fusion holster. First off I've got to say the service from Garrett Industries was great. Only 17 days from date of order to date of delivery. By any standard that's pretty quick for a custom made holster. The quality of the leather and Kydex is top notch as is the workmanship. The stitching is well done, strong and pleasing to the eye. This holster is the most comfortable holster I've had the opportunity to wear. Although I have not had many holsters, I can honestly say after a few hours I almost forgot it was there. In and out of my vehicles was easy, with no adjusting or discomfort. Something I can't say for my old holster.

Now here is the reason for my post. Although the holster is great, I'm having a some misgivings about ordering the "J" clips. The one to the rear of the holster near the grip of the gun hits my knuckle when I draw. Also I am not able to get the cant I'm looking for. The clips seem to sag under my belt. I like the holster so I plan to wear for a while before I do anything, but I'm sure I'll want to modify it. I know there are other manufacturers of Kydex clips out there I can purchase, and that's an option. Maybe "C" clips would work better for me. But I'm thinking of drilling an additional hole in the clip near the pistol grip to raise that side of the holster to increase cant and l get the clip away from my hand. I would also like the gun a little higher out of the waist band, but with this clip I will lose cant if I adjust that.

My question is has anyone done this? And if so were there any problems? I'm worried about splitting or flat out breaking the Kydex. Also if I don't like the mod and I return it to the original position, will the new hole weaken the clip causing it to break?

Please forgive the long post. Any help will be appreciated.Holster.jpgholster1.jpgHolster2.jpg

I have three silent thunder slims with the standard clips. To my way of looking at it j clips keep the holster from coming out with the gun when it is drawn by "hooking" the bottom of the belt. But the clips transfer none of the downward weight of the gun and holster to the belt. Beyond that, it doesn't take much movement of the holster at all for the j clips to become unhooked. Plus the added thickness of the clip is on the inside of your belt.

In short, I'm no fan of a j clip on any holster.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374970263.101758.jpg
    DoctorBob likes this.

Well I don't see a good reason the Comp-tac C-clips wouldn't work on Ron's holster there. If you want a set that's probably what I would try, on the existing set maybe shoot him an email and see if he can't send ya a regular set of clips rather than J-clips. I've found the same type of problem using them myself and honestly I don't own a set anymore because of it.

Take care!

Luke

I have a set of every type of loop they offer (kydex clip, leather loops and kydex loop). The ones I wind up preferring are the standard kydex clips. They do a great job securing the gun and keeping it rock solid, they never pull out with the gun yet you can still remove the rig easily when you need to. Maybe I'll like the kydex loops when I use 'em more but it's hard to beat the standard clips.

That said, as well as they work they could be a little sturdier. I suppose it's a side effect of how they're made but I've already broke one standard clip. I was at the theater and sat down and the clip grazed the plastic arm of my seat. It broke the clip neatly in two. I flat out love the Silent Thunder holsters and I have four of them, but I would like to see a more robust mount that was still quick to remove.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by fyrguy View Post
    I just got my Garrett Silent Thunder Fusion holster. First off I've got to say the service from Garrett Industries was great. Only 17 days from date of order to date of delivery. By any standard that's pretty quick for a custom made holster. The quality of the leather and Kydex is top notch as is the workmanship. The stitching is well done, strong and pleasing to the eye. This holster is the most comfortable holster I've had the opportunity to wear. Although I have not had many holsters, I can honestly say after a few hours I almost forgot it was there. In and out of my vehicles was easy, with no adjusting or discomfort. Something I can't say for my old holster.

Now here is the reason for my post. Although the holster is great, I'm having a some misgivings about ordering the "J" clips. The one to the rear of the holster near the grip of the gun hits my knuckle when I draw. Also I am not able to get the cant I'm looking for. The clips seem to sag under my belt. I like the holster so I plan to wear for a while before I do anything, but I'm sure I'll want to modify it. I know there are other manufacturers of Kydex clips out there I can purchase, and that's an option. Maybe "C" clips would work better for me. But I'm thinking of drilling an additional hole in the clip near the pistol grip to raise that side of the holster to increase cant and l get the clip away from my hand. I would also like the gun a little higher out of the waist band, but with this clip I will lose cant if I adjust that.

My question is has anyone done this? And if so were there any problems? I'm worried about splitting or flat out breaking the Kydex. Also if I don't like the mod and I return it to the original position, will the new hole weaken the clip causing it to break?
    I would go ahead and drill it (carefully) then adjust the other side to keep the same cant. If it does break you were needing some other clips anyway.

I like the J clips but prefer the metal ones. Thinner and stronger.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Thanks to you all for replying. I think I may drill the clip but not before I buy an alternative mount. I like this holster too much to wait around for replacement clips if it happens to break. As it stands I'm not as impressed by the "J" clips as I thought I'd be, but I really haven't given them a chance so I'll wear them for a while. The next question is which clip to get. I don't like the look of the standard clip, too big and obvious. The Kydex loop is not as large but looks like I'd have to feed my belt through. I wear a S.O.E. Rigid gun belt, removing the buckle and feeding a holster through it daily would be a pain. I like the idea of just slipping the holster into my waistband and clipping it to my belt. I am leaning toward the leather loop style clip or the "C" clip, but I don't know if the "C" clip would fit my belt, it's pretty thick. Hopefully I can get some opinions on this.

Why don't you call or email Garrett? They will fix you right up and you won't have to worry about messing anything up. That is what I would do because they have great, quick customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    Why don't you call or email Garrett? They will fix you right up and you won't have to worry about messing anything up. That is what I would do because they have great, quick customer service.
    Thought about doing this but I don't want to be without the holster while I send back the clips. I may contact them about buying a different set.

Thought about doing this but I don't want to be without the holster while I send back the clips. I may contact them about buying a different set.
    You won't have to send your holster back. Call them for God sakes!
    fyrguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    You won't have to send your holster back. Call them for God sakes!
    I wasn't worried about having to send the holster back, but I did expect them to want me to return the clips before sending out new ones. That would put me without a holster for a while. I emailed the Garretts today and got a reply in less then 8 hours, they said they'd send out a set of standard clips to replace the "J" clips. Great customer service! So stay tuned.

I wasn't worried about having to send the holster back, but I did expect them to want me to return the clips before sending out new ones. That would put me without a holster for a while. I emailed the Garretts today and got a reply in less then 8 hours, they said they'd send out a set of standard clips to replace the "J" clips. Great customer service! So stay tuned.
    There you go.

Garrett customer service is great! When I ordered the IWB for my Nano I mistakenly ordered the natural color leather loops instead of the black. Even though it was my screw up they sent me the black ones for free. And when I broke a clip (busted it on a chair) they sent me a replacement the next day. Very good folks to work with.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Garrett customer service is great! When I ordered the IWB for my Nano I mistakenly ordered the natural color leather loops instead of the black. Even though it was my screw up they sent me the black ones for free. And when I broke a clip (busted it on a chair) they sent me a replacement the next day. Very good folks to work with.
    I'm curious, what do you think about the leather loop style clip? I was thinking about getting these for this holster. When I contacted Garrett, they said they would send me the standard clips. I can't ask for more, they don't even have to do that. I think asking for leather loop clips is probably pushing it. I think I'm being treated exceptionally well.

The leather loops are good quality but I didn't like them as much as the kydex loops or the kydex clips. They add a little more bulk than I wanted, and they're not as snug as the clips. Actually, I guess they can be made to be as snug by using the other set of holes but I liked the kydex ones so much I haven't bothered to change them over. Mostly because I don't like the style of snaps they use, I have a hard time getting them snapped while on the belt. It's kind of like the child-proof caps on a pill bottle...that can only be opened by a kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    The leather loops are good quality but I didn't like them as much as the kydex loops or the kydex clips. They add a little more bulk than I wanted, and they're not as snug as the clips. Actually, I guess they can be made to be as snug by using the other set of holes but I liked the kydex ones so much I haven't bothered to change them over. Mostly because I don't like the style of snaps they use, I have a hard time getting them snapped while on the belt. It's kind of like the child-proof caps on a pill bottle...that can only be opened by a kid!
    Thanks, I guess I'm glad they're sending the standard clips. I may check into the "C" clip style or the Kydex loops.

Links