Narrowed down to 2 holsters. Which one?

This is a discussion on Narrowed down to 2 holsters. Which one? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently I acquired a S&W 5906 pistol. I quickly realized that this was going to be a completely different animal to conceal compared to my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Narrowed down to 2 holsters. Which one?

Recently I acquired a S&W 5906 pistol. I quickly realized that this was going to be a completely different animal to conceal compared to my Taurus 651. So after a little research I have narrowed my holster search down to two holsters, aliengear hybrid and pro-carry deep comfort

Alien Gear Holsters

Pro Carry Deep Comfort Holster

To give you a little info to help me. I am 6' 200lbs, carry mostly in t-shirt and jeans/cargo shorts, carry between 3 and 5'o'clock, and I rarely tuck my shirt in except at church and work. (as a teacher I can't carry at work anyway)

My question to you all is which would you recommend and why?

I am also open to other suggestions but am really wanting to stay in the $40 range shipped. After buying a gun and ammo sometimes you have to wait to spend serious money on expensive guns.

Thanks.

Distinguished Member
    I myself just got a hybrid from White Hat. Similar to the alien and a little more money, but the horsehide and ability to change out the kydex were the two selling points for me. After some clip adjustment, it hides my Sig P250fs no problem in similar dress as you as well as the Sig in sc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

The holster for my EDC is similar to the Pro Carry. I find that style of holster extremely comfortable at 3:00. I chose it over the hybrid style holsters because the leather straps will not scratch my belt. In the end, however, I think you will find that deciding between the two styles is largely a matter of personal preference.

Well, consider this just a thought experiment on my part since I haven't tried either, but I like the looks of the Alien Gear. The method of adjusting tension looks pretty good to me.

How do you like the gun? My sister has two of them that she purchased in the early 90's, but aside from those I haven't seen one in years.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I have an Old Faithful holster that should hopefully be arriving soon. While i don't have any personal experience with them yet I went with them because of all the great reviews I read, their 30 Day money-back guarantee (you still keep the holster), and their 50 year unconditional warranty. Their assembled holsters start at $75 but you can order an "assembly required" holster starting at $40. If you don't upgrade the colors and whatnot it should only be a few bucks over your target. If you're feeling ambitious you can also order a kit that requires you to mold the kydex yourself. Those holsters start at $28. I've read and been told by friends that the assembly is very easy. Not sure about the molding of kydex, though. Good luck!

Assembled Hip Holster ? Old Faithful Holsters
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

As for the white hats ability to change kydex. Alien gear will trade it out for the shipping costs. I assume you could buy it as well. But they don't offer horse hide.

I like the old faithful but for the same price I can get a fully assembled one from alien gear that uses thicker leather and kydex.

As for liking the gun: It seems very well made, built like a tank really. After changing out the bulky hogue grips it feels great in my hand. But I have no idea how it shoots I haven't even owned it a week and haven't got to shoot it. I'm going to try and go this weekend and try it out.

I'm guessing there aren't a lot of companies making holsters specifically molded to fit that gun, as long as it's been since it was last made.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebersa View Post
    The holster for my EDC is similar to the Pro Carry. I find that style of holster extremely comfortable at 3:00. I chose it over the hybrid style holsters because the leather straps will not scratch my belt. In the end, however, I think you will find that deciding between the two styles is largely a matter of personal preference.
    I agree it's personal preference but have you ever tried it around 5:00? Is it comfy there?

Personally I like the full leather idea better because I feel like it will protect the finish if my gun better than kydex I'm just afraid it won't spread out the weight well enough.

And yes it is pretty difficult to find a holster that isn't custom.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but realistically, $40 is at the very low end for a decent holster for daily use. Based on the cost of materials, I'm inclined to think that the Kydex holster is going to be of higher quality than the leather one.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Yeah, gasmitty is probably right. I don't wanna bag on that holster since I've never seen it but that's pretty cheap for a leather holster.

VIP Member
    Since you only gave two choices, I would go with the Alien Gear. The other one will by design stick out like a tumor when you try to conceal it.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but realistically, $40 is at the very low end for a decent holster for daily use. Based on the cost of materials, I'm inclined to think that the Kydex holster is going to be of higher quality than the leather one.
    This is exactly what I was looking for no rain here. I don't plan to rely on a $40 holster forever. If I had it my way I'd be ordering a custom leather. But some things in life come first.

Lead Moderator
    I. Went with a Old Faithful to see if a hybrid holster was to my liking. Most everyone here will tell you they have a box/drawer full of holsters trying to find what works best for them . With a larger/heavier gun you will want the weight spread out a bit to help carry the gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I'll go with the alien gear. I was leaning that way to begin with, I just needed some convincing.

I have been very happy with my alien gear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links