Un-nerving experience

This is a discussion on Un-nerving experience within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guns are not allowed at work. And just to clear any misconceptions, I'm not prepared to jeopardize my job for the sake of carrying. So, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Un-nerving experience

Un-nerving experience

Guns are not allowed at work. And just to clear any misconceptions, I'm not prepared to jeopardize my job for the sake of carrying. So, i've been leaving the gun in the car, not the brightest idea, I know, but the only real option I have other than leave it at home.

Anyway, friday I finish work early and my sis-in-law invites me over for supper. I go to the car and grab the gun out of the glovebox so I can transfer it to my IWB holster, Ouch!! I almost burnt my hand it was so hot, I immediately dropped the magazine out, and the magazine was the same 'too hot to handle'. I promptly took the gun and magazine into the house and laid them on the coffee table directly under the ceiling fan.

The thought of 7 hollowpoint .45acp rounds getting that hot in the confined space of a glovebox was an un-nerving experience to me.

So now I have the dilemma of what to do?. As I said, i'm not risking carrying at work, but now i'm not happy about leaving it in the car anymore, at least not in the Alabama summer heat and humidity, leaving it at home is also not an appealing option.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

2. Remove Ads

I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately the gun gets left at home as I would lose my job if I carried and I feel uncomfortable leaving it in my car. I no longer make any quick stops on my way to/from work and save those trips for my days off so I can carry.
    Romans 12:21

Is it because of heat of the gun and burning yourself, or you are worried the bullets will explode?

Unless your car gets upwards of 400 degrees the bullets will not go off, and even then only the chambered round would be an issue, most probably.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I had the same issue when I worked Corrections only a step further. My gun was not even allowed in the car my cell phone could be left in the car but Nevada winters and summers were hard on the battery. I would come out and find the phone dead. The solution for me was to put the phone in an insulated thermos, it worked. Conversely could you put the weapon in an insulated container concealed in your vehicle?

You could always wrap it in a towel. The main thing is ventilation of the car. Open a couple windows just a crack to allow some airflow. If possible, store it under the seat out of the sunlight.
    tcox4freedom and ppkheat like this.
    Assist Protect Defend
    Molon Labe
    ---
    BFA Member
    USCCA Member
    Find me on FaceBook - facebook.com/nelly0717

Distinguished Member
    I had the same issue with my last job and here in SC we also get very high heat in the vehicle. I'm also concerned about the break-ins in the vehicles that are occurring lately. I was leaving my gun at a family members home while at work.

An idea, can you carry your bullets and/or magazine in your purse and leave the gun in the car? Since I have a revolver as a carry I just kept the bullets in an old medicine container. Also, get one of those windshield covers that reflect the sun away ~ really makes a huge difference in the heat in your car.
    JDE101, msgt/ret, Zralou and 1 others like this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Is it because of heat of the gun and burning yourself, or you are worried the bullets will explode?

Unless your car gets upwards of 400 degrees the bullets will not go off, and even then only the chambered round would be an issue, most probably.
    Agreed. Ammo won't cook off at those temperatures. If it did, I can guarantee that our soldier's weapons in Iraq would have been blowing up constantly.

Most likely any paper in the glovebox would burst into flame before the ammo started popping.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Could you put it in a small insulated cooler.
    msgt/ret and BadgerJ like this.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    You should buy a sun visor for your windshield, they work very well.

I live in Florida and keep my G19 in my vehicle while at work. I've never had this problem. It's also inside a leather holster so perhaps it helps keep it cool.
    JDE101 and Sister like this.

I don't think it got to those kind of extreme temps, but I will say the magazine is metal and it was too hot to hold, and being in the glovebox, it was out of direct sunlight.

I very much like the idea of keeping the ammo with me, that isn't a problem, I can leave it in my cooler box that stays in the office, I think I will try that option.
    Leaving a window down isn't a good option, during the summer we get the afternoon thunderstorms and the car park is wide open so no cover from whichever direction the rain comes.
    Thanks for the quick responses and suggestions.

Sara Lou

You could look at having weather strips put on your windows. Little plastic things that go in the window frame and hang over the top 2" of the window. Lets you leave the windows cracked while not letting in rain. In addition they also cover up that top edge of the window pretty well so it is hard to tell the windows are cracked in the first place. Makes a world of difference in the temperature of the car. Here is what a quick google search brought up so you can see what I am talking about.
    Rain Guards | Wind Deflectors | Window Visors at CARiD.com
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I have heard extreme changes in temperature is not good in regard to ammo reliability. I doubt if this is big problem, but you might want to shoot out your carry ammo on a regular basis, maybe every 6 months or less.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I work in a bullpen office (no walls). I sit at my desk at work and twirl a single action revolver while I'm talking on the phone. My office is like a football locker room, with the exception that the office girls must be treated like ladies. Inevitably the first thing I do when I find some new gem is to show everyone at the office. Yes, the girls roll their eyes at me occasionally, or say, "You bought ANOTHER gun?", but you get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I work in a bullpen office (no walls). I sit at my desk at work and twirl a single action revolver while I'm talking on the phone. My office is like a football locker room, with the exception that the office girls must be treated like ladies. Inevitably the first thing I do when I find some new gem is to show everyone at the office. Yes, the girls roll their eyes at me occasionally, or say, "You bought ANOTHER gun?", but you get the picture.
    That sounds like the best office ever.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    You could look at having weather strips put on your windows. Little plastic things that go in the window frame and hang over the top 2" of the window. Lets you leave the windows cracked while not letting in rain. In addition they also cover up that top edge of the window pretty well so it is hard to tell the windows are cracked in the first place. Makes a world of difference in the temperature of the car. Here is what a quick google search brought up so you can see what I am talking about.
    Rain Guards | Wind Deflectors | Window Visors at CARiD.com
    I really do gotta get me some of them, gun issues aside, i'm a smoker and they are great when its raining and you got the window cracked while smoking!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    I have heard extreme changes in temperature is not good in regard to ammo reliability. I doubt if this is big problem, but you might want to shoot out your carry ammo on a regular basis, maybe every 6 months of less.
    That was definitely one of my concerns, plus I really need to shoot all these bullets off anyway, they are getting past their 'sell by date'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I get a similar response when I tell everyone I bought another gun too....
    Because I openly talk about the shooting I do, and the guns I own, the manager has made a point of letting me know that I WILL get fired if I ever get caught carrying at work.
    I don't work in the office, I just start/end my day there, the rest of the day, i'm out on the lot, and in and out of vehicles so it would be difficult to conceal a gun.

Sara Lou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links