SERPA holsters......can you conceal them?

This is a discussion on SERPA holsters......can you conceal them? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I recently acquired s&w 5906 that came with SERPA CQC paddle holster. I have been wearing it around the house and love it. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: SERPA holsters......can you conceal them?

So I recently acquired s&w 5906 that came with SERPA CQC paddle holster. I have been wearing it around the house and love it. It holds that heavy pistol well, very natural draw and has the retention of a thumb break but draws like an open holster. The only problem I have is even with an untucked button up shirt it prints like crazy.

My question to you all is if you change to the belt style platform can you conceal like a regular belt holster?
    Also if you change to a belt type and add the quick disconnect does it conceal well?

Thanks,
    teach

I have one myself & I love it I use the paddle as well as it has a better fit & does not wobble as much, now if you're thinking of concealing it in the spring/summer months that would be rather difficult as the weather is quite hot & unbearable in these months so unless you're state allows OC with which I assume it does, than I would just wear it openly personally I carry my firearm IWB in the summer months & plan on using my Blackhawk Serpa holster in the winter months. It will be much easier to conceal it in the winter months as it would in the summer months.

Now as for you're question pertaining to if you can conceal it better if you change the platform, the answer will be most likely No as the holster is designed for OC & changing the placement & or belt style will not change that fact. As for the disconnect feature it's most likely used in high stress environments & or tactical scenarios where that feature would come in handy, so that wouldn't make a difference in concealing it.

Administrator
    That would not be the wisest choice for best concealment.
    SUPERCHEFNICK likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    I carry a XD40 sub-compact in a Serpa. I'm using the belt loop attachment and have it canted forward which helps keep the grip close to my side. 3" barrel and shorter grip also aids in being able to conceal, plus wearing dark color shirts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach View Post
    So I recently acquired s&w 5906 that came with SERPA CQC paddle holster. I have been wearing it around the house and love it. It holds that heavy pistol well, very natural draw and has the retention of a thumb break but draws like an open holster. The only problem I have is even with an untucked button up shirt it prints like crazy.

My question to you all is if you change to the belt style platform can you conceal like a regular belt holster?
    Also if you change to a belt type and add the quick disconnect does it conceal well?

Thanks,
    teach
    You are going to have a tough time hiding a 59 with that holster regardless of the belt, simply by virtue of its design.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Unless you are wearing a winter jacket, the short answer is no. Serpas by design are held much further away from the body, and they do not conceal easily. A decent IWB set up would help with your current gun, but as a full size gun its going to be harder to conceal in general.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Thank you all for your responses. I was afraid that it would be hard to conceal no matter what and that is fine I will just have to wait and use it for around the house and in the winter. I tried and I can conceal it under a long sweatshirt and for sure a coat so it still has its place. The reason I asked about the quick connect feature was I thought it would be handy to mount half of it in my vehicles and at my bedside and be able to use one holster in multiple areas.

SUPERCHEFNICK pointed out that I should use it for OC and it would be awesome for that and it is legal where I live but in the town I live in it would be way more trouble than its worth.

As far as concealing a full size 3rd gen, my 4003 hides very well in my Theis holster.

A Serpa will conceal pretty well if you wear a sleeping bag. Otherwise, nope.
    Phaedrus likes this.

SERPA holsters......can you conceal them
    Of course you can but they are far from optimal as a concealment holster. I see their main use as a retention holster for people who want to open carry.

Now stand by for all the input from the *experts* who will tell you how unsafe it is to draw from them.

Lead Moderator
    A decent IWB or pancake OWB holster would work better in concealing the gun. As stated Serpa holsters print badly unless heavy clothing is worn.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    A Serpa will conceal pretty well if you wear a sleeping bag. Otherwise, nope.

Thank you all for the input I really appreciate it. I think I am going to order a hybrid from aliengear. I just need to quit second guessing it and order it.
    I plan to get a nice leather owb when money allows it.

I've concealed a SERPA in the winter time with no problem. Summer time? Not so much.

I agree with others, get a good hybrid IWB holster for summer time. They work so very well and are quite comfortable.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I wonder if I tucked the paddle into my undies and pulled my pants over the holster if that would conceal it well. :what:

-Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links