Horsehide holsters

This is a discussion on Horsehide holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, at some point today I will be ordering my holster but have a few questions. Anyone here have a Horsehide holster and what are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Horsehide holsters

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar

Horsehide holsters

Ok, at some point today I will be ordering my holster but have a few questions. Anyone here have a Horsehide holster and what are your thoughts? Do you ever get that broken in feeling as you do with a leather holster? Is it worth the extra cost? Would you buy another one? Thanks for any thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

Bear Creek Holsters

IMG_0213.jpg
    CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE

This is my EDC. Horsehide W/sweatguard.
    It has stayed stiff, but molded to me in a day or so.
    Doug will make it custom for you, any cant, any ride-height.
    Don't call 911, call 1911...

I suffer from chronic & incurable "Condition One"
    But I've learned to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    Ok, at some point today I will be ordering my holster but have a few questions. Anyone here have a Horsehide holster and what are your thoughts? Yes, I have had a few over the years. The only advantage they offer is to the seller. I found them inferior to a good, leather holster. Do you ever get that broken in feeling as you do with a leather holster? Yes and no. It's never as good as an old leather holster. Is it worth the extra cost? No. Would you buy another one? No. Thanks for any thoughts. You're welcome.

I like horse hide because it does not soak up sweat as bad as cow hide. It doesn't soak up as dye as easily either.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    Some folks are just so cotton picking clever!!

0 o p s
    sensei2 and scgunlover1 like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I have looked at all of them...own a few of them....next one will be Alien Gear. Just as good as a $75.00 model (if not even better) at less than half the price.

http://aliengearholsters.com/
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    I have looked at all of them...own a few of them....next one will be Alien Gear. Just as good as a $75.00 model (if not even better) at less than half the price.

http://aliengearholsters.com/
    From Alien Gear... Interesting.

The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

I personally love my CBST horsehide holster - it's the only holster I will buy for any gun at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer928 View Post
    From Alien Gear... Interesting.

Would be even more interesting if you would answer my FB inquiry ........Hello !!!!!!
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Would be even more interesting if you would answer my FB inquiry ........Hello !!!!!!
    I am afraid you have me at a loss. I only have a FB account so I can access links to it. I did just check it and didn't see any messages. I also just checked my inbox for messages on this forum and didn't see anything. Maybe you have me mixed up with someone else.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer928 View Post
    I am afraid you have me at a loss. I only have a FB account so I can access links to it. I did just check it and didn't see any messages. I also just checked my inbox for messages on this forum and didn't see anything. Maybe you have me mixed up with someone else.
    sorry about that....I thought your post was inferring you were with Alien Gear.......I Bad......

VIP Member
    I have heard horsehide is supposedly a bit tougher and resists wear better than cowhide. YMMV

Seems it doesn't matter to me all that much
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    I have been curious about this as well. Looking to get a Recluse pocket holster and they have cow leather or horse leather. They say the horse hide is thinner and more moisture wicking than cow hide. Just don't know if its worth the extra 17 bucks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

sorry about that....I thought your post was inferring you were with Alien Gear.......I Bad......
    No worries. I did find it interesting what the Alien Gear folks had to say about Horsehide though. Seems as though it doesn't really make all that much difference and in some ways is not as good as, say a good bull hide, or just cow hide. I've been lead to believe it was tougher than cowhide. Now I'm not so sure.
    -Evan Marshall

I have a crossbreed in horsehide, and its a little on the stiffer side. As for the moisture, it kind of stays trapped between the holster and your body anyway. I would get a good quality cowhide leather over the horsehide if I was to do it all over again. In addition, the combat cut on a hybrid like that makes a big difference as well. But to answer your question, no, I don't believe the horsehide is worth the increase etc.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links