Garrett Silent Thunder IWB vs Silent Thunder Solo

This is a discussion on Garrett Silent Thunder IWB vs Silent Thunder Solo within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about ordering a holster from Garrett for my XDs. Do any of you know what the practical differences are between the Silent Thunder ...

Thread: Garrett Silent Thunder IWB vs Silent Thunder Solo

Garrett Silent Thunder IWB vs Silent Thunder Solo

I'm thinking about ordering a holster from Garrett for my XDs. Do any of you know what the practical differences are between the Silent Thunder IWB and the Silent Thunder Solo? If anybody has had both I'd be interested in your thoughts.
    According to the Garrett website the IWB is easier to take on and off as well as re-holster the pistol.
    Thanks!
    JD

2. Remove Ads

Welcome, Rockymtndude! I have four Garrett holsters but unfortunately none of them is a Solo. I can tell you that the solo is a little bit more like the leather/kydex hybrids from Crossbreed et al where the IWB is a hard shell. The Solo has a more padded backing which probably makes it a bit more comfortable than a typical hybrid. But since the back is going to be somewhat flexible it won't be as easy to re-holster the gun as it is with the hard-shelled IWB. Down the road I'd like to try a Solo just because I love Garrett's stuff but the IWB is really superb. In fact, I have IWBs for three of my guns (Beretta Nano, HK USPf9 and HK P30S).

I guess for me the deciding factor was the ease of re-holstering. Since I carry Condition One with all my pistols that can be carried that way I like to make 50-100 practice draws/presentations a few times per week. This is where the IWB and the other Garrett hard shelled rigs really shine; it's easy to put the gun back in.

If you have to remove the holster and don it repeatedly the IWB is also great (depending on the mount you choose).

Sorry I can't say more about the solo, just haven't tried that one. However I do highly recommend Garrett Industries! To date I've purchased four holsters (3 x IWB + 1 x STX 2.0) and two of the K-1 mag carriers. All of them have been great. The only thing better than the products is the service from Ron & Sheryl! I expect there is no "wrong" choice where Garrett is concerned.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Thanks Phaedrus,
    The Solo looked interesting but I think you've convinced me to go with the IWB. I do practice draws/presentations as well.
    Thanks for the info!
    JD

Not to further confuse you but Garrett just released a brand new holster today! It's called the STM and can be had set up for IWB or OWB carry and is easily converted between the two. I'm going to order one yet tonite to see how it works.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Well, I did get the STM ordered! I'm fixed pretty well for holsters but I wanted an OWB to wear while hiking, camping and taking on my nightly walks. I ordered mine with both sets of mounts (the kydex clips for IWB and the belt slots for OWB) since it's only $15 more. Overall I still think the IWB is probably the best for daily carry since it's smaller, but as soon as I get my new STM I'll report my findings.

Links