I need advice on alternative to carry in Chicago

This is a discussion on I need advice on alternative to carry in Chicago within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am traveling to Chicago this month and sadly I have to leave my EDC at home. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: I need advice on alternative to carry in Chicago

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

I need advice on alternative to carry in Chicago

I am traveling to Chicago this month and sadly I have to leave my EDC at home. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good pepper spray. I have not done any research on pepper sprays and would love some suggestions.

Thanks

Eric
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Fox Labs, or Sabre should do you well.

From Handgunlaw.us, for Illinois:

• Chemical/Electric Weapons Laws: 720 ILCS 5/24-1
    • State Knife Laws: 720 ILCS 5/24-1 & 720 ILCS 5/33A-1
    • Chicago city ordinances: Title 8, 8-24-045 Firearms and Other Weapons / Noxious Gas or Liquids

Chicago's Title 8, 8-24-045 limits on "sprays":

8-24-045 Noxious gas or liquid.

(a) No person shall use any device to discharge a noxious gas or liquid in an enclosed room in any Class C-1 or Class C-2 Assembly Unit, as defined in Chapter 13-56 of this Code, or in an enclosed room in any restaurant, bar or tavern that is a Class F Assembly Unit as defined in that chapter, if more than 20 persons are present in that room, unless the person is a peace officer, as defined in Section 8-20-010 of this Code, engaged in law enforcement activity. As used in this section, “noxious gas or liquid” means mace, pepper spray or any other substance that is intended or designed to cause irritation to the eyes, nose or mouth, or to cause nausea.

(b) Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor that is punishable by a fine $500.00, or 30 days imprisonment, or both, for each offense.

(Added Coun. J. 4-9-03, p. 106979, § 1; Amend Coun. J. 11-8-12, p. 38872, § 159)

^ Note above that, if you aren't a cop but find yourself in a SD situation in a room with more than 20 people, you might well be charged with harming everyone under this ordinance. Chicago "laws" can be wonderful, that way. Cops get a bye, but not citizens in SD legitimate situations.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you try to protect yourself in Chicago you will be prosecuted. YMMV
    TN_Mike likes this.

Windy City

I live in Chicago suburbs and it really can get windy. To avoid getting back-spray in your own face pick a unit that shoots a liquid spray rather than a fine aerosol. I think Kimber makes one that mimics the trigger of a very small pocket pistol.

Be aware that you can not use pepper spray in a bar or restaurant of public meeting room.

Know where you are going and ask locals if the neighborhood is safe. Chicago changes from very safe to not so safe by crossing from one side of the street to another or going into another 'neighborhood'.
    Great city; lots to do, fantastic restaurants but can be pricey.

I can tell you from experience that Chicago is really strict with the use of such "non-lethal" gases or liquids. If you use pepper spray or similar in Chicago, there is a good chance you will be charged with a crime. Obviously, if the alternative is dying, it's worth the risk. jbum may or may not have been serious in the post above but the sentiment is very true; the Chicago machine takes a very dim view of citizens resisting.

Too bad you can't just avoid Chicago all together....

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

Will you be staying downtown? If so the only thing you have to even remotely worry about is teen thug mobs. They usually prey on women and other teens. If you stay near the loop or Michigan avenue you should be fine.

As with any big city the criminal element can smell a tourist a mile away. Watch your credit cards, carry wallet in front pocket. Dont go out late by yourself. Stay at a hotel with their own garage use valets when possible. I grew up in Chicago Great City excellant resturants, museums are fantastic. The current establishment sucks an have created a climate of anti 2nd amendment.
    Do not let it keep you from having a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by mlesage8 View Post
    I live in Chicago suburbs and it really can get windy. To avoid getting back-spray in your own face pick a unit that shoots a liquid spray rather than a fine aerosol. I think Kimber makes one that mimics the trigger of a very small pocket pistol.

Be aware that you can not use pepper spray in a bar or restaurant of public meeting room.

Know where you are going and ask locals if the neighborhood is safe. Chicago changes from very safe to not so safe by crossing from one side of the street to another or going into another 'neighborhood'.
    Great city; lots to do, fantastic restaurants but can be pricey.
    The Kimber Pepperblaster even has a laser-sight attachment. Which probably is a good idea.

I'd suggest a VERY bright flashlight. Like 300 lumen or better. A blinded gunman is a much reduced threat, and even Chicago - as far as I know - doesn't prosecute people for carrying flashlights.
    warbirds likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

May not be an option but the best advice I can give is to stay away from Chicago. You could not pay me enough to go there and my boss knows to not even ask. I will not travel to Chicago or anywhere else in the communist state of Illinois.
    jbum, maxwell97, Snub44 and 2 others like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The only thing keeping me from visiting Chicago is that I'd be spending money while there. I'd love to see the city and the better things it has to offer. I'd imagine it's like most any other major city I've been into - stick to certain areas and your visit should be trouble free. If it's your first time there, I'd also check out a local forum and try to figure out exactly where those areas are.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

My son and his family live in IN, 60+ miles from Chicago. When we visit, I have refused to let my wife go to there for any reason...Chicago is off limits. My son already understands that...
    I will not set foot in that state, and I'm willing to drive around it (I know, extra gas money.) so those corrupt politicians don't get $.01 of my $$.
    BugDude, Snub44, ericb327 and 2 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    If you try to protect yourself in Chicago you will be prosecuted. YMMV
    Wow..
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'd have to say the best way to protect yourself . . . is a plane ticket out of Illinois. Not helpful, I know, but I'm being honest.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Here we go!
    thump clap, thump clap, thump clap,
    Here we go!
    thump clap, thump clap, thump clap,
    Pittsburgh is going the Superbowl!
    Here we go!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I'm from Chicago and know the neighborhoods well. I'm staying in Elmhurst at a hotel. I normally transport my firearm in my vehicle but that's when I stay with friends. I will have to leave my EDC at home this trip,
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links