Gun retention

Gun retention

This is a discussion on Gun retention within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So lets say I'm concealed carrying. My holsters have good friction retention and most certainly not going to fall out. Obviously I can extract my ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 2 Post By mprp
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 2 Post By Wunderneun

Thread: Gun retention

Gun retention

So lets say I'm concealed carrying. My holsters have good friction retention and most certainly not going to fall out. Obviously I can extract my gun. I carry at a 3:30 position.

Let's say I'm printing. What keeps someone else from coming up from behind me and extracting my gun?

I'm not that paranoid, more curious.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ_mp40c View Post
    So lets say I'm concealed carrying. My holsters have good friction retention and most certainly not going to fall out. Obviously I can extract my gun. I carry at a 3:30 position.

Let's say I'm printing. What keeps someone else from coming up from behind me and extracting my gun?

I'm not that paranoid, more curious.
    On my holsters, the moderately snug retention combined with the 20-degree forward cant.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

YOU do. Seriously.

Are you alert, SA, etc.

Its never been an issue with me, though I do generally have my forearm over the area where my weapon is. At least in crowds.

Generally speaking, I dont think criminals want to mess with someone with a gun. They want the ones that are unarmed. I think you would actually be avoided more, than you would be targeted.

DON'T PRINT.
    Always have good situational awareness- armed or not.
    If you get shot with your own gun chances are its your fault.

You need to practice planting a face full of elbow.
    RoadRunner71 and BurgerBoy like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Try it.

First, make your gun safe. Then, have a friend or family member attempt to quickly snatch your gun from under your cover garment.

It won't be easy. It is not impossible to do but they aren't going manage it without you noticing.

Your first line of defense is good concealment, followed closely by situational awareness. Or in other words, keep it covered and pay attention to what's going on around you.

You may also want to invest in some training in weapon retention techniques.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    You need to practice planting a face full of elbow.
    Bad strategy, as it leaves the grip unsecured, and may well facilitate the removal of the gun from the holster.
    DJC7 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Mprp, beat me to it. Elbows hurt like heck

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    The first tactic we learned was to get your hand on top of his (if he already has his hands on the grip) and keep the weapon in the holster at all costs.

Then do what ever you have to to get him to release his grip on the weapon.
    DJC7 and Mike1956 like this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    On my holsters, the moderately snug retention combined with the 20-degree forward cant.
    I also cant my holster about 20 degrees forward, although my carry position is at 9 o'clock with a right hand draw and is to accommodate the angle which I draw the firearm from.

Quote Originally Posted by warbirds View Post
    DON'T PRINT.
    Always have good situational awareness- armed or not.
    If you get shot with your own gun chances are its your fault.
    Agreed with him as well, if you are going to print you may as well OC. CC is for concealment, it's not meant for the public eye. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    The first tactic we learned was to get your hand on top of his (if he already has his hands on the grip) and keep the weapon in the holster at all costs.

I also agree with this, as I was taught similar. It's damn near impossible for the opposition to get control of or fire the firearm in these circumstance. The last thing you want is a round going through your thigh over a struggle. This, in extreme close quarters, is were elbows or wrestling (or other grappling equivalent, e.g. Judo, Combatives, MCMAP) really come to shine. If you can keep it holstered easily with one hand and use the other to create the space to employ the firearm, you are doing it safely and correctly. Of course there are many, many variables that can be put into play that may slightly change things.

All that said, your best bet is to actually conceal the firearm. The biggest threat to any BG is the guy that he doesn't know is packing. The element of surprise is an advantage over OC, if you are negating that you are not doing yourself favors. Solid belt and loose fitting shirts or a smaller gun, you decide.

ETA: I exercise my privilege to carry concealed and my right to carry openly, I'm not bashing just posing an argument.
    Last edited by MrBear10mm; August 7th, 2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Cause I'm a dummy

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post

This.
    William T. Sherman

Sponsored Links