OWB Concealed Carry

OWB Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on OWB Concealed Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying for a little more than a year and carry IWB exclusively (except when I open carry at the house). Lately I've ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: OWB Concealed Carry

OWB Concealed Carry

I have been carrying for a little more than a year and carry IWB exclusively (except when I open carry at the house). Lately I've been considering going to OWB. I know some of you carry concealed using OWB, and I'm curious what holster you use and how well it actually conceals. I've used Advanced Search and looked through the sticky thread, but most of what I've found are IWB vs OWB threads and LOTS of pictures of IWB rigs. I would love to see some pictures of people actually carrying concealed OWB, their experiences with the same and what your setup is and why. Thanks for indulging me!

This is what I'm wearing right now, and about 90% of the time when I'm carrying. A pancake that carries close is hard to beat. Most of the holsters I make are OWB. That pic was taken the first time I wore it. The loops are broken in to my carry position now and it wraps right around nice and tight. I just pull my t shirt over it and go.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

i usually carry OWB, using either a leather pancake holster which cants the gun forward, like chiefjason in the previous post, or i use canted kydex belt loop or paddle holsters from Comp Tac or Blade Tech.

like chiefjason, i wear the holster behind the point of the strong-side hip (about 4:30 - slightly further back than the photo). i have bought a number of jackets and vests that come down far enough to hide the gun and holster. two or three spare magazines are worn in mirror imaged position on the off-hand side.

the preceding applies to me when i'm carrying a pistol. with revolvers, i typically carry slightly further forward (about where chiefjason does), and the holster has less cant. spare speedloaders are worn at 2:00, to the right of the belt buckle, so i can access them with the shooting hand.

in public, i'm careful to reach up for things with my off hand. i'm careful when sitting down in a chair with horizontal rungs on the backrest, not to catch the gun butt on the rungs and pull the gun out. i get down by squatting, not by bending at the waist.

other good things to notice about chiefjason's set-up are the sturdy belt, and the fact that the belt completely fills the holster loops. don't thread a holster with 1.75" loops onto a 1" belt.

This is what I use when I'm carry my XDs.
    Attached Images
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

I use the Topless from High Noon Holsters. It conceals great for me.

Topless

I normally carry OWB except for very hot weather when wearing swim trunk style shorts and tee. I have a number of Jeff Hayes leather holsters for EDC. They hold close and up high on my 1 1/2 inch belt. Ramora for swim trunks. Photo to follow.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

VIP Member
    A pancake holster (pick your favorite maker) is hard to beat for comfort and is only slightly harder to conceal than an IWB rig.

My personal preference is for all Kydex with a minimal amount of forward cant. I like the look and feel of leather but even the best tend to flex. With a rigid, all Kydex rig on a proper gunbelt there is no doubt in my mind (or my hand) where I'll find my gun when the need arises.

Positioning depends on the size of the gun. A smaller gun rides most comfortably at the point of my hip. A larger gun, such as my preferred P220, is more comfortable slightly in front of the hip. This also allows for better concealment.

Like most things related to EDC, you should experiment with your own gear to find the perfect setup.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I use a Comp-Tac paddle holster. I'm a skinny guy so I have to wear a huge T-shirt to conceal this way but it's much more comfortable than IWB. I use this approximately 20-30% of the time.

IMG_2057-900x600.jpg

Outside Waistband Holsters - products new home - Paddle Holster
    OldMick likes this.

DM Bullard Bodyguard. forms to the body & keeps the weapon close to the body. The radical forward cant keeps the grip angled up the body so as to not print. Although it looks like it is hard to draw, it's surprizingly natural & the weapon seems to "leap" out when drawing. When I carry OWB, it's either a PC1911 commander or a Kimber Super Carry Custom HD. Neither prints under a Hawaiian shirt.
    R040607 likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    There's also OWB, but under the belt. My friend uses this. A tighter or looser belt gives more or less security or retention. I'd also urge you to try the N82 holster. It's IWB but carries very well. Patented Design

CJM
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    DM Bullard Bodyguard. forms to the body & keeps the weapon close to the body. The radical forward cant keeps the grip angled up the body so as to not print. Although it looks like it is hard to draw, it's surprizingly natural & the weapon seems to "leap" out when drawing. When I carry OWB, it's either a PC1911 commander or a Kimber Super Carry Custom HD. Neither prints under a Hawaiian shirt.
    People talk about having a drawer full of holsters that do not (work, conceal, fit, feel, finish). If you buy the DM Bullard Bodyguard, this will not happen to you.

I agree on the Remora for AIWB too.

I use (my only) Panther concealment kydex holster with a FS 40. I'm 5'6" and about 220 lbs. Left handed, "FBI" cant, (15 degrees). Like you, I made the same search/request on several forums and this is what I ended up with. Have had several marathon road trips and vacations carrying up to 18 hours, driving, walking, typical tourist stuff. VERY comfortable. I also have a Ridgid holsters belt which I think makes all the difference.

Here is a description of the style it is: a cross between a traditional paddle and a pancake holster. You get the convenience and speed of the paddle, but the conceal ability of a traditional belt-slot pancake.

Sorry about the blurry pics. I have recently ordered a 40c and will order another holster from Panther for that one also.
    P3030364.JPGP3030362.JPGP3030361.JPGP3030367.JPGP3030366.JPGIMG_0007-001.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Calvito View Post
    I have been carrying for a little more than a year and carry IWB exclusively (except when I open carry at the house). Lately I've been considering going to OWB. I know some of you carry concealed using OWB, and I'm curious what holster you use and how well it actually conceals. I've used Advanced Search and looked through the sticky thread, but most of what I've found are IWB vs OWB threads and LOTS of pictures of IWB rigs. I would love to see some pictures of people actually carrying concealed OWB, their experiences with the same and what your setup is and why. Thanks for indulging me!
    Criminals don't register guns.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six

I'm one of those guys with a box full of holsters (actually a couple boxes). I have always carried OWB. I've tried other methods, like IWB, ankle, shoulder, but I always return to OWB for comfort and access. I currently carry a Glock 23 in a Fobus paddle holster that I've had for many years. I conceal by covering with my shirt, or a jacket. It's visible as a bulge, but no one has ever called me on OWB carry in over 40 years. As usual, simple works.
    PakWaan likes this.

Hard to beat a good pancake design.

5-22 belt 009.jpg

I carry a Kimber Custom CDP (full-size 1911 .45 pistol) daily using the Enhanced Pancake Model holster on the B8 Gun Belt with single mag pouch on the off side, usually with nothing more than a loose-fitting shirt for cover. I frequently forget that I have it on. Most comfortable and concealable holster I've ever experienced, even with the larger handguns.

I've been carrying a sidearm since 1969 and making holsters since 1972. Never could tolerate IWB-style carry for any extended period of time. The Enhanced Pancake Model resulted from an effort to create an OWB design that would conceal as well as, or better, than the IWB-style holsters.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links