Show me your homemade holster designs.

This is a discussion on Show me your homemade holster designs. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been toying with making my own kydex pocket holster for a little while now since the ones I like online are over $50 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Show me your homemade holster designs.

Show me your homemade holster designs.

I have been toying with making my own kydex pocket holster for a little while now since the ones I like online are over $50 and have a lead time of 2 months. So I ordered a kydex sheet from Amazon and am looking for some nifty designs of some homemade holsters. I have enough kydex for 2 holsters. I am going to make a simple modular OWB and then a pocket holster with a thumb push.

I have been watching some youtube videos on how to mold kydex and practiced on some old kydex holsters I had around the house. Heating and molding really isn't difficult. I just didn't have enough for what I wanted to do. So when the sheet gets here, I will take some pics of the process and post them here for a nice tutorial on how to make your own kydex holster.

Until then, show me yours.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Here is the one I have on right now. The holster design is a slightly tweaked Midworld Ohio Special, my favorite.

M&P full size 003.JPG

The gun is a full-size 9mm M&P, which has been modified since the holster pic was taken.

M&P Texturing 002.JPGM&P Texturing 008.JPG
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

OOPS! Leather, not kydex. Sorry! I'm a leather guy. Ya, ya...there are a couple screw ups on this one, but it does work very well anyways.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Looking good!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I miss being able to play in these threads.....
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Brought to you by Carl's Junior.

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post

OOPS! Leather, not kydex. Sorry! I'm a leather guy. Ya, ya...there are a couple screw ups on this one, but it does work very well anyways.
    Its all good. This is kind of what I want to do for OWB with the kydex.

I haven't gotten on board with kydex, but here are some of my homemade leathers.

Revolver
    holster back.jpggp100.jpg

Semi Auto
    XD Holster.JPGRattlesnake.JPG
    srings likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

These holsters you guys make look great. Very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I haven't gotten on board with kydex, but here are some of my homemade leathers.

Revolver
    holster back.jpggp100.jpg

Semi Auto
    XD Holster.JPGRattlesnake.JPG
    Them's some nice looking rides!
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

How tough is it to make a leather holster? Seems like that would be a fun project to take on.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I have been toying with making my own kydex pocket holster for a little while now...

Until then, show me yours.
    I can't do it. It only would fit a Kentucky 45 or 50cal Hogleg. About the size of the Thompson Center Contender or Patriot?
    Made from Buckskin and Latigo boot lace, the thick stuff prior to 1992 thereabouts.

You were talkin' 'bout Blackpowder guns RIGHT?
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulla View Post
    How tough is it to make a leather holster? Seems like that would be a fun project to take on.
    Using the most rudimentary tools I have made long lasting leather gear. Sewing Awl, HD sewing needles (hand sewing), simulated deer sinew, some buckskin, HD scissors, hammer, 16P nail, 12"x12"x1" pine board. You can get a 6 position hole puncher that makes it way easier than punching holes w/the hammer and nail.

Try tack shops, Farm Co-ops. Tandy Leather Co, Crazy Crow Trading Co, taxidermists, trappers/hunters get an idea and let the creation juices flow
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Using the most rudimentary tools I have made long lasting leather gear. Sewing Awl, HD sewing needles (hand sewing), simulated deer sinew, some buckskin, HD scissors, hammer, 16P nail, 12"x12"x1" pine board. You can get a 6 position hole puncher that makes it way easier than punching holes w/the hammer and nail.

Try tack shops, Farm Co-ops. Tandy Leather Co, Crazy Crow Trading Co, taxidermists, trappers/hunters get an idea and let the creation juices flow
    Thanks! That's all the motivation I need. Off to google to do some pricing

Administrator
    I wish that you folks thinking about doing your own leather holsters would move away from the stitching awl (that STITCHAWL) which makes absolutely the ugliest looking stitches.

If you watch this Video you can get the basics of hand stitching leather which makes an incredibly beautiful and functional stitch.

Al Stohlman who was an incredible leather craftsman and leather carver and the author of many books on leather work hand stitched everything.

All of his custom saddles were completely hand stitched. He never machine stitched anything.

Even if you do not want to master the two needle + stitching awl method then use a groover and a stitching hole spacer and pre-drill your holes. One guy here uses a small inexpensive drill press that is made for the DREMEL Moto Tool.

He puts a small drill bit in the Moto Tool - spaces his holes evenly and pre-drills them all & then does a simple two needle stitch and the end results are VERY NICE.

I don't know what the price is these days is for a stitching hole spacer and a stitching groover but, you can probably get both plus saddle stitching needles and your thread at Tandy for less than $25.00.

Tandy has a cheaper stitching pony or you can make one yourself or if you pre-drill your holes then hold your work between your knees.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Here is the pre drilled holes method without a stitching groove - single needle & double needle.

This is so simple that you could almost train a chimpanzee to do it and it looks SO MUCH BETTER than that stitch awl.

And guess what? If you pre drill holes you can even put two pieces of Kydex together by stitching them together just the same as the leather shown in this Vid.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links