Horizontal Mag Holster?

This is a discussion on Horizontal Mag Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fellas, Looking to pick up a horizontal spare mag pouch/holster for the times I feel like packing a spare. I'm a pretty big boy, so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Horizontal Mag Holster?

Question Horizontal Mag Holster?

Fellas,

Looking to pick up a horizontal spare mag pouch/holster for the times I feel like packing a spare. I'm a pretty big boy, so the vertical ones aren't real fun, and plus, I'm not a fan of how far the stick up when I use them if I roll them around to a 7 or 8 o'clock position.

Been using a modded Leatherman nylon pouch, but would prefer something dedicated to ride OWB using my belt loops (haven't really considered a paddle style situation - too worried about it popping out).

Anybody - large company or guys in garages -making something like that?

It seems like Kydex would make the most sense in this case, but would leather work, too?

2. Remove Ads

I pack around a few too many pounds & I found the "bodyguard" forward slant magazine pouches and holsters from DM Bullard. For me, they fit perfectly under my "love handles".

Single Bodyguard Forward Slant Mag Pouch for 1911 - D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong..

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Kinda spendy . looks nice.

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    There are a few I really like, depending on which gun I'm carrying. When I carry an HK USP or HK P30S I usually carry a spare mag in either a Safariland 123 or a Garrett K-1 mag carrier. There are several different sizes of Safariland but the one I linked it holds a double stack full sized 9mm mag just fine. It secures to the belt nicely with velcro and is very comfortable. The K-1 mag holder is a vertical carrier but it's very easy to change the mount to hold the mag horizontally. That's a great virtue of the Garrett, it's very easy to adjust.

If I'm carrying my Beretta Nano I carry a spare mag in a SHTF Gear horizontal mag carrier. I actually like this one better than the Safariland but they don't make one big enough to carry a USPf9 mag. The SHTF Gear pouch seems to be made for single column mags. If your mag will fit though it's an awesome carrier.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Thanks for the replies so far, guys.

Suppose I should have specified, this is for a CZ P-01 (double stack 9mm analogous to a Sig P229).

Doing a bit of Googling on my lunch break here and this TT holster looks appealing:

OWB Single Horizontal Mag Holder

DSC06896.JPG

Any of you familiar with this guy? He reputable?

VIP Member
    One of our supporting vendors, Midworld Holster, makes one.

Horizontal magazine carrier - MidWorld Holster
    Kennydale likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I really want to get a mag holder, but I am also in process of saving up for a dedicated EDC gun, but will probably order one when I get the new EDC.

I also give a +1 for the SHTF Gear horizontal mag holder. It is super comfortable, durable, reliable and actually pleasing to the eye as well.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by askoop View Post
    I really want to get a mag holder, but I am also in process of saving up for a dedicated EDC gun, but will probably order one when I get the new EDC.
    Man, that's a really crummy website. Hard to find out what the dagum thing even looks like, how it works, and what types of magazines work with it.

That's too bad.
    nedrgr21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Will_Power View Post
    Man, that's a really crummy website. Hard to find out what the dagum thing even looks like, how it works, and what types of magazines work with it.

That's too bad.
    Yep. From what I understand, they are fairly new. FWIW, I asked them a question on their facebook page and received a quick response.
    Last edited by askoop; August 17th, 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Dale Frickle makes a good one. I've been using one every day for nearly two years.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Like you I use a Leatherman pouch. Works fine for me

I'm not a big guy but I hate vertical mag holders. Always have. So here is what I use. It works well, in made by a big company and it is generic enough that it will work for just about any double stack mag out there.

NYLON SINGLE MAGAZINE POUCH ? DeSantis Holster
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Will_Power View Post

That's too bad.
    True. He would have done better by linking to the store.

MagHolder Online Store
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Distinguished Member
    I agree with DaGunny. DM Bullard makes a fine product. I also have one of his mag carriers. I recently had Jeff Hays make a dbl mag carrier for me with a forward cant. I like it very much too. I also have to lug around a few extra pounds, so I understand your concerns. Never tried a horiz. carrier, but I think they would work fine, contact Jeff and he might build one for you.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links