Options - concealable as a Remora, comfortable as a Crossbreed?

This is a discussion on Options - concealable as a Remora, comfortable as a Crossbreed? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had both Crossbreed holsters and Remoras for a while now. My go-to holsters are always the Crossbreeds. I use the Remora around the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ndpuckhead
  • 2 Post By DJC7

Thread: Options - concealable as a Remora, comfortable as a Crossbreed?

Options - concealable as a Remora, comfortable as a Crossbreed?

I have had both Crossbreed holsters and Remoras for a while now. My go-to holsters are always the Crossbreeds. I use the Remora around the house mostly. The Crossbreeds offer a level of security and comfort that I can't get with the Remora.

My question is if there are any super concealable options like the Remora that are as comfortable as a Crossbreed?

Carry position is about 4:00-5:00, IWB.

I have J clips with velcro on all my Crossbreeds. I have been "caught" before from people that, to their credit, know what the clips are, even hidden behind the belt, and I'd like to avoid that, as well as the need for a "canned" response for what it is. I don't want "it" seen period.

I've tried the Remora option again for a while but I can't carry it much. It is a functional, and surprisingly secure, holster (the only issue I have is the bathroom - it has to totally come out vs. the Crossbreeds staying put). The comfort of the holster is what really pushes me away from it. I just don't like the imprint it makes in my back/hip. The Crossbreed, on the other hand, nearly disappears after a while.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I've had both, and the N82 fits the bill perfectly, even more comfortable than the Remora! http://n82tactical.com/n82store/
    DetChris likes this.
    M&P Shield 9mm for EDC
    Ruger P90 for the nightstand

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I took a look at both those options. What I don't like is they both use clips. That is what I am trying to get away from. At that point I might as well just continue to carry with the crossbreeds. I'd like something that doesn't use any clips at all - hence my comment to the conceal-ability of the Remora. The Remoras don't have any clips (the ones I have) visible - IE - nothing wraps around the top seam of my pants to attach to my belt (either clip over or velcro behind, like the crossbreeds do).

Quote Originally Posted by Ndpuckhead View Post
    I've had both, and the N82 fits the bill perfectly, even more comfortable than the Remora! http://n82tactical.com/n82store/
    I've never seen these before but wow what a great idea! My only concern is the single clip and if that will cause rotation of the handle and printing. I may pick one up today! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I've never seen these before but wow what a great idea! My only concern is the single clip and if that will cause rotation of the handle and printing. I may pick one up today! Thanks!
    It doesn't print any more than my Remora. It stays in place nicely, and I feel more secure with it than the Remora. I carry it with a forward cant, there is a screw that you can tighten on the clip, and it is also tuck-able. If I had to do it again, I think I would go with the original version, since the positive retention in the pro takes some getting used to. I took a dremel to it so you don't have to give it much of a twist to unholster. As far as comfort, It's miles beyond the Crossbreed. I'm a big guy, so there are a lot of pinch points for me carrying a pistol and the N82 addresses all of them perfectly.
    M&P Shield 9mm for EDC
    Ruger P90 for the nightstand

Quote Originally Posted by Ndpuckhead View Post
    It doesn't print any more than my Remora. It stays in place nicely, and I feel more secure with it than the Remora. I carry it with a forward cant, there is a screw that you can tighten on the clip, and it is also tuck-able. If I had to do it again, I think I would go with the original version, since the positive retention in the pro takes some getting used to. I took a dremel to it so you don't have to give it much of a twist to unholster. As far as comfort, It's miles beyond the Crossbreed. I'm a big guy, so there are a lot of pinch points for me carrying a pistol and the N82 addresses all of them perfectly.
    I just ordered the Pro version for my Glocks 19 and 26. I trust nothing short of a kydex enclosure for Glocks. Thanks again for the recommendation! I'll report out after using it for a few days.

A buddy of mine just got a Tactipac belly band holster a couple weeks ago and has really enjoyed it so far.

FusionPac IWB Concealed Carry Holster - TactiPac

This or some other version of a belly band holster (smart carry?) might be your best option.
    chandler4228 and Kennydale like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

The Foxx Trapp Holster, foxxholsters.com

"FoxX Trapp" All Kydex IWB Holster

On a recommendation from someone on this forum I decided to try out an Alien Gear holster. It's very comfy and what I really like is the price. You can also simply change the outer kydex shell for another if you change guns. Shell price is only $12. Holster is only $30. Optional leather loops are available as well.

Alien Gear Holsters
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Did anyone actually read the OP's post? He does not want clips (and I'm assuming this includes loops).
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    Did anyone actually read the OP's post? He does not want clips (and I'm assuming this includes loops).
    Yes I did and he will need to use some kind of clip or loops to hold it in place unless he uses something like the Remora he also mentioned. Physics are something that can rarely be changed.

He could use the clips on his pants rather than going over the belt so it shows less but something will need to be used.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    My question is if there are any super concealable options like the Remora that are as comfortable as a Crossbreed?

I've tried the Remora option again for a while but I can't carry it much. It is a functional, and surprisingly secure, holster (the only issue I have is the bathroom - it has to totally come out vs. the Crossbreeds staying put). The comfort of the holster is what really pushes me away from it. I just don't like the imprint it makes in my back/hip.
    If you want a more comfortable 'Remora'... get a Sticky holster:Sticky Holsters | Redefining Concealment

Love mine. It's soft and breathable against your skin. No imprint or chafing like I had with the Remora, which I found too "plasticky" and textured to be comfortable for all-day-long carry.

I also use a belly band, which isn't quite as comfortable as the Sticky but is very convenient (especially in the bathroom), and when carrying extra mags or other small items.

Hope that helps.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I use the 3Speed Holster I wrote a review after two months. Tonight I was at Lakewood Church with wife and friend. Big, well known mega church in Houston. Went to greet the main pastor Joel Osteen after the service. I was first in line , and was talking with a Harris County deputy while i was waiting. I was wearing this, the deputy never suspected i was concealing.20130607_121837c.jpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I use the 3Speed Holster I wrote a review after two months. Tonight I was at Lakewood Church with wife and friend. Big, well known mega church in Houston. Went to greet the main pastor Joel Osteen after the service. I was first in line , and was talking with a Harris County deputy while i was waiting. I was wearing this, the deputy never suspected i was concealing.20130607_121837c.jpg.
    This looks like just the ticket for the OP. Looks to be a well thought out design and can be rotated to any position desired.

I also noticed the Crossbreed has velcro V-clips for use with a velcro backed belt for less visibility. The OP mentioned he had Velcro back J clips but these are a bit different it looks like.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Po...ip_Details.jpg

-Evan Marshall

Links