M-TAC leather conditioning oil help!

This is a discussion on M-TAC leather conditioning oil help! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey y'all what do you use to condition your leather holsters? Also anyone with an MTAC have any comments on how tight the retention was ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Old_Dog
  • 1 Post By Gil3232

Thread: M-TAC leather conditioning oil help!

M-TAC leather conditioning oil help!

Hey y'all what do you use to condition your leather holsters? Also anyone with an MTAC have any comments on how tight the retention was out the box? Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Have purchased two M-Tacs and had to loosen the adjustment on both. With the 229R it took a little time to break it in as it was very tight. Works great now. Never used anything to condition the leather. Still working great and looking good.

Distinguished Member
    I never condition my holsters as it can make them too soft. Juts never had the need in 40 years. Then again I do not keep my guns for very long so it would never be a problem. I use an MTAC and have two or three shells for it. Retention is no problem. Just loosen or tighten the bolts that hold the shell to the backing. That should be obvious so I am assuming that you already tried that and still have a problem. I have not had any problems with my MTAC no matter which shell/gun combo I use. They fit perfectly.
    357and40 likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Please don't use any leather conditioner on your holsters. After decades of leather holsters, all you need is just a bit of break-in. Like the previous posters, your MTAC should have some allen heads to tighten or loosen retention.
    technomonster likes this.

I don't use any thing on the leather. And little tweak to get the retention the way I like it.

I would never use any kind of oil on a leather holster. If you feel you must condition a leather holster use saddle soap or neutral, black, or any color close to the leathers color, wax
    shoe polish. Either will keep the leather firm but will clean the leather giving it new life.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Questions

like Gil said, dont use leather conditioners.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Alright seems like I won't use anything! I just noticed that there are these creases forming on parts of the holster, as well as on my new A&G belt (around the holes I use) guess that's normal. It's jut such a beutiful rig I want to make sure It lasts as long as possible!

I've been playing with the retention screws, guess it just needs a few more days to break in, its still reallyyy tight.. (got it Thursday)
    Thanks guys!

Creases will form. That's just the nature of the beast when it comes to leather. Think of it this way. It adds character. Just keep wearing it around and it'll break-in. Wear it as much as possible. Mowing the lawn, eating dinner, going to the store, etc.

Trust me, your leather holster will last quite a long time. Truthfully, you'll probably buy a crap ton more holsters and have that "holster box" that everyone has around here.

Links