Does anyone use a shoulder holster anymore?

This is a discussion on Does anyone use a shoulder holster anymore? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's probable my favorite way of carrying, but I have a cheap Uncle Mike's holster that rides up my shoulders and doesn't conceal very well. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It's probable my favorite way of carrying, but I have a cheap Uncle Mike's holster that rides up my shoulders and doesn't conceal very well. I'd love to carry my 1911 in one of these, but I don't know what my options are. I recently saw another Uncle Mike's shoulder holster rig that only hung over one shoulder, but it was for a smaller gun.

What are my options for 1911 or Sig 228 shoulder holsters?

From what I have seen Galco seems to make a considerable number of shoulder holsters. Check them out at www.usgalco.com. I don't know about your specific guns but thought I would point you in a direction.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    It's probable my favorite way of carrying, but I have a cheap Uncle Mike's holster that rides up my shoulders and doesn't conceal very well. I'd love to carry my 1911 in one of these, but I don't know what my options are. I recently saw another Uncle Mike's shoulder holster rig that only hung over one shoulder, but it was for a smaller gun.

What are my options for 1911 or Sig 228 shoulder holsters?
    I've got a brand new Galco Miami Classic for 1911 (will fit all sizes of 1911s without rail) I got a few months ago. I haven't used it much yet.

Check it out at the Galco website
    Last edited by p8riot; December 3rd, 2006 at 04:49 PM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Assistant Administrator
    Jamie,

I have a Bianchi X-15 large, (vertical) and that is pretty good for large semi's - spring reinforced and front break, my favorite type. Don't use it much these days tho it does still suit for winter carry. Only slight irritation is, with a t-shirt on the elastic strap over back rides up a tad high.

I have a pic somewhere - shout if you want to see it and I'll try and find it later.

(mag came today BTW - ad looks good!)
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I also have the Bianchi X-15 and a couple of Gould&Goodrich shoulder rigs which are very comfortable. I prefer to carry a 1911 this way (with a Colt Cobra OWB) in the winter while driving or visiting "certain" areas. The G&G rigs are quite balanced with the 1911 and a double mag carrier and aren't noticeable at all under a coat.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I have an Andrews, a Galco Jackass and a Bianchi X-1500. Typically they're used during the winter months or when I'm on the Harley.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I have a Galco VHS for a Beretta 92. It works very well. My only complaint is that there is no tie-down available for the holster.

I also use a Desantis "New York Undercover" rig that is very nice. - Only problem with it is that sometimes the wider straps "show" if my jacket isn't buttoned.

Administrator

Post Shoulder Carry

I shoulder carry all the time...well, most of the time.
    It's a best kept secret as far as comfort is concerned.

You absolutely NEED a good & well designed shoulder rig.

If you are carrying at the shoulder in an Uncle Mikes then you absolutely are not taking full advantage of the shoulder location of carry.

My shoulder holsters are Alessi. That is the "holster portion" of my shoulder system is by Louis Alessi & my strap system I designed and custom fit to myself.

Hands Down...one of the BEST shoulder holsters that you can by would be one made by Andy Arratoonian of Horseshoe Leather in the UK. Here Is The Link Click Here.

Also Matt Del Fatti ~ Click Here

Only when I fish and hunt.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Hands Down...one of the BEST shoulder holsters that you can by would be one made by Andy Arratoonian of Horseshoe Leather in the UK. Here Is The Link Click Here.
    I have to admit that the wider shoulder harness looks like it would distribute the weight better than the thinner ones on my Galco.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

VIP Member
    In winter shoulder carry is the most comfortible way to conceal. After try a few nylon holsters with their elastic straps I decided there must be a better way so I bought a cheap Falco leather holster for my G17. Leather is the way to go! QKShooter I must say that is one nice holster.

Senior Moderator
    I carried a Glock in a Galco shoulder holster for a while. If I used the holster-to-belt tie-down strap, I felt like I was in some kind of harness. Hmmm, actually I was. If I didn't use the the tie-down, the holster would swing a lot and get in the way. I finally gave up on shoulder holsters.

But, it does seem like a good way to carry, esp. a second gun. A gun in a shoulder holster is much more accessible when seated in a car and else where.

There will be a lot of muzzle sweep when you draw the gun. I know in classes at Gunsite, they always ask about shoulder holster carry. If you carried that way, they placed you at the end of the line so you wouldn't sweep the line.

Howdy!

A shoulder rig is a special purpose tool - it is great for chauffers, executive/dignitary protection types and pilots. It makes for very easy access when seated. I would recommend against them for general defensive use.
    Having said that, Lou Alessi makes a dynamite shoulder rig and it would be my first choice. (716.691.5615).
    Josh Bulman and Sam Andrews both make rigs that seem well thought out and are well made, but I have not worn one of them. (If you have Sam make one, tell him to forget the suede lining)
    If Matt (DelFatti) makes one, I'm sure it will be superb like the rest of his work. But again, I have no personal experience with them.
    I'll have one available come late Spring, early Summer - but we're so slammed right now that I've got to get caught up before we finalize the design. If you need one sooner than that, check out the guys listed above. Good luck!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Once in a blue moon!

Administrator

Looking Forward To Seeing A Brommeland Shoulder Rig

Post pictires as soon as you get one made up Gary!

That should be a super nice shoulder holster...I might buy yer first one Gary & do a forum review and evaluation of it for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links